StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I couldn't find anything on this, so all my faith in you folks!

If I purchase a new vehicle in Ontario and sell it 2 weeks later to someone in the States, can I get the HST back? Or it is lost forever?

Did anyone do similar transaction? All words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

A.K.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pretty sure it's gone forever!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi All,

I couldn't find anything on this, so all my faith in you folks!

If I purchase a new vehicle in Ontario and sell it 2 weeks later to someone in the States, can I get the HST back? Or it is lost forever?

Did anyone do similar transaction? All words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

A.K.

OK, I'll bite............why would you buy a vehicle and then 2 weeks later sell it to someone in the states. If you are just trying to buy something for someone in the states there are probably easier and cheaper ways for that.

Just curious.......

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car will ship over to Europe. The person is a non-Canadian resident, can't get insurance to drive car down to NY. So I wanted to "buy" it and then lend it to him and later "sell" it. But then he'd be eating the HST.

The car will be trailered down, this way he can claim HST back.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
why not just buy it in NY? the prices are cheaper down there.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
In Australia, if something is being exported, GST can be claimed back. Does the same apply there?

We can buy a product up to a month before we depart Oz and claim the GST back at Customs at the airport or seaport terminal.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I hoped for, but apparently it is not the case. If a Canadian resident buys something the HST cannot be claimed back.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
In Australia, if something is being exported, GST can be claimed back. Does the same apply there?

We can buy a product up to a month before we depart Oz and claim the GST back at Customs at the airport or seaport terminal.
I forgot to mention, even if we bring it back to Oz, we don't have to pay the GST.

We've done this a number of times with DSLR cameras, lenses, laptops, iPhones, and iPads. Never tried it with a bike as we can't ride or drive to any other country. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I forgot to mention, even if we bring it back to Oz, we don't have to pay the GST.

We've done this a number of times with DSLR cameras, lenses, laptops, iPhones, and iPads. Never tried it with a bike as we can't ride or drive to any other country. :mrgreen:
You are lucky! At least GST-wise. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
You blokes are lucky to have such a beautiful country.

Pity about the neighbours! :yesnod:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts