StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that there are howling tire posts in various threads, but I'm going to buy a different set of tires sometime before I travel next year and I'd like to know from your experience with whatever tires your running, which ones howl, and which ones do not. And of course it is the front.

I put on a set of Shinko 705's last year, and I'm on my 3rd rear and unfortunately the front still looks good, but it howls between the 45-50 zone, roughly. Air pressure doesn't seem to matter any more than miles on the tire. Traveling around the country it's amazing how much I seem to be in this zone. (two lane roads and all of the towns on them) All of you that run these know, and I don't care about ear plugs, as my hearing is bad and even with earbuds with music playing under my fullface helmet, I'm done with it. So there are a ton of choices as you all know.
I'm listening

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I realize that there are howling tire posts in various threads, but I'm going to buy a different set of tires sometime before I travel next year and I'd like to know from your experience with whatever tires your running, which ones howl, and which ones do not. And of course it is the front.

I put on a set of Shinko 705's last year, and I'm on my 3rd rear and unfortunately the front still looks good, but it howls between the 45-50 zone, roughly. Air pressure doesn't seem to matter any more than miles on the tire. Traveling around the country it's amazing how much I seem to be in this zone. (two lane roads and all of the towns on them) All of you that run these know, and I don't care about ear plugs, as my hearing is bad and even with earbuds with music playing under my fullface helmet, I'm done with it. So there are a ton of choices as you all know.
I'm listening
The fronts are howlers, alright, between 40-50. I have 6k miles on mine now and the howling is gone. I don't regret these tires one bit.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
All I have had besides the ones that came on mine is Tourance. They have no howling that I can hear but hearing is one of the worse things about me. I wear ear plugs all most all rides.Some I ride with get really good miles but a lot of them howl.Most that do have really stift side walls and more block patterns.

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
noisiest tires I have experience with are Pirelli MTR60-Corsas that I had on my SV650, sounded like a lifted pickup truck with 35" mudders going down the highway @ 75mph

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have Anakee 3's as well. They howl more than most other tires I've used but I love them anyway. I wear earplugs, and recommend them to anyone who rides - especially if you are already hearing damaged. You can always become more hearing damaged until you're totally deaf.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Hi, Eye, I wear custom fit ear plugs and I can't hear the Shinkos at all.
I can't even hear my own screams in the twisty canyons.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The fairings on our bikes help to amplify the howl.

I run Anakee 3's and have never noticed the howl, I think it's because I had TK70's before them and they did howl.

Reactions: Old Time Rider

·
Administrator
5,740 Posts
Don't buy Metzeler Karoo 3's. They howl.
Mitas E-07's do not, or at least rarely and barely audible.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
Running ANY of the more aggressive open tread tires means noise. TKC 70's are quite loud. Part of the price you pay for traction in loose material.

Even some street tires can be noisy, especially after some miles.

Pressures can help some tires to lessen uneven wear. But the more aggressive tires just won't wear all that smooth and that means even more noise as it wears down.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
As Rolex posted the faring can make it more with you. You that have rode most all your life and nuts like me that is by far main means of travel know this. When we took the shields off most our street bikes after winter motors sounded so much better.Put shield back on for fall and dam! this thing is coming apart!
Same with open pipes on the old Harleys.If motor racket got too bad but still ran just open up pipes more or run open drag pipes.Sounds just like a Harley now!:grin2: Take the muffler off a 90 cc Honda and some car driver will tell you"Sounds just like a Harley!.>:)

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
The new Michelin Anakee 3's I put on yesterday have a low frequency hum to them. Not as loud as the TKC70's but louder than the stock tires. They really track nicely.

Reactions: eagleeye

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Running ANY of the more aggressive open tread tires means noise. TKC 70's are quite loud. Part of the price you pay for traction in loose material.
I figured as much with the tires that have an open tread, and ride for sure 90% on road, so my thinking now is to go back to the Tourance that were on the bike when I bought it. Then again might just buy another rear 705. Seems like that front is gonna last forever. :frown2: But when that front is gone, they're gone. :thumbup:
I was just gonna see if there was a tire out there that was sort of aggressive that didn't howl.
Thanks for the reply's

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts

Even some street tires can be noisy, especially after some miles.

Pressures can help some tires to lessen uneven wear. But the more aggressive tires just won't wear all that smooth and that means even more noise as it wears down.
The Mitas E07 and K60's are the exception for that however, and boy do they wear and last well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My Continental TKC70's howl like wolves at around 40 to 50 mph. In my area that is the most common speed for me. And they are wearing funny . I've been through a bunch of the good old Battlewings over the years with no problems or complaints. And no howling.

Reactions: eagleeye

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Could be worse, you could be riding K60s and be made fun of by everyone, being called a stealth bomber because no one can find the plane approaching...

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I had a bit of cupping on the TKC70 front after about 4500 miles. Mine was always stable on the interstate. The rear had a normal flat spot. The rear had about 9500 miles when I sold the 650 with some tread left (I had a flat at 1000 miles on the stock rear and put only the rear TKC70 on first). It seems to be at least a moderately high mileage tire for my easy riding style.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Mitas E07 and K60's are the exception for that however, and boy do they wear and last well.
I've been looking at the Mitas E07 since your post, and this sounds like something that I might just try.

Reactions: Big B and Brockie

·
Administrator
5,740 Posts
My Continental TKC70's howl like wolves at around 40 to 50 mph. In my area that is the most common speed for me. And they are wearing funny . I've been through a bunch of the good old Battlewings over the years with no problems or complaints. And no howling.
Increase your air pressures.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts