StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me get this out of the way ... I'm an idiot!

My black wee is 2 weeks and 2 days old with a scant 1200 miles on it, and I've already tipped it over. In fact, in reading the forum posts about people tipping them, I sort of wondered how the heck they could make such silly mistakes. Yeah, stupid me!

I was dropping off a photograph of mine at a friend's house and parked on his super steep road facing downhill. When I climbed back on and turned the key nothing happened and the CHEC message was on. I turned the key off/on again and the same thing. I figured it must be that the kickstand was down, and when I peered down, it seemed a bit strange. I leaned over to get a better view of it, and the bike started rolling downhill, and before I knew it, it was tipping over. It all happened so fast --even though I'm sure it was very slow-- and once the bike got beyond the literal tipping point, there was no return. Down it went, shattering the turn signal light and bending the clutch.

At first I thought I wasn't going to be able to lift. I wrenched on it hard to no avail-- the full tank of gas certainly didn't help -- and it took me three or four tries in different positions to get it back up. My heart sank as I looked at the dangling, naked turn signal bulb ....

I calmed myself down and looked around to see what would trigger the CHEC. You got it -- the kill switch was on. Man, am I a noob -- all I could do was shake my head in disbelief about what dumb move I had just done.

By complete chance I was a half mile from the motorcycle dealer where I got the bike (new and unblemished), so I went by and ordered a new blinker assembly and clutch handle -- 97 bucks.

Oh well, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, but later would have been nice!

So ... how did you first dump your Vee?

pmk

·
Registered
27 Posts
At least you were on your bike when it fell - I was pulling a bungee cord over a package...pulled the whole thing over! It's a motorcycle, it has two wheels, it will fall over. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I tried rolling mine forward on the swingarm stand, using the pit stand handle instead of the handlebars. The front wheel flipped to the left and the bike went over on the right.

The second time, I arrived home after a week on the road. As I pulled in the garage I started thinking about unloading, instead of the bike. Stepped off the bike...it hung for 3 seconds...then fell over. Helps to put down the kickstand.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I fell over in my driveway, while trying to scoot by my wife's RAV4. I tagged the rear bumper with my side case, and before I could finish my thought 'Hey, whhaaaz happeningggg!?' I was lying in my neighbor's fern bed! Lucky for me, my Pat Walsh Designs 'driveway tipover bars', prevented any damage to the bike. Good think I'd seen the youtube vid showing how to pick up a goldwing strategy, and was able to right my toppled Strom. I'm in pretty good shape [good thing for mountain bike leg power], and it was definitely a full struggle to right the beast! I hear you loud and clear on that one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How'd you first dump your Vstrom

In a single lane traffic circle. Made it most of the way around then the back tire lost traction. One moment up and the next on the ground. Cosmetic damage....drove the cycle home. So mucH for my ego.

Thanks
Matrix
"Free your mind."

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I was backing mine out of the "basement" garage. I have gravel there and my foot slipped forward as I was pushing back while seated. The bike listed to the port side and I caught it . We were at a point of equilibrium and I thought I might win when the strom seemed to increase in weight and ever so slowly took me to the mat.

I could not get sufficient traction or footing to lift it back up, so I tucked my tail between my legs and got my neighbor (another cruiser rider) to help. I told him the bike was bored and fell asleep on me.

I have crash bars so just a little skinned paint on the bars.

2nd) Stand sunk in ground...plop
3rd) A buddy with short legs dropped her...plop
4th) Center punched a log in the woods I though the front wheel would go over...thunk, plop
5th) In the sand west of Destin, FL....silent fall
6th) Stay tuned...its only a mtter of time

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've dumped mine twice.

1. 10 minutes after I bought it. I'd just traded in my M50, which is a pretty low ride, so I wasn't yet used to the height of the Vee. Coming to a stop sign and the road cantors slightly to the left. As I came to a stop I put my feet forward and down. Lo and behold, because of the height there was no asphalt on which to place my feet. I want able to recover soon enough. I probably looked like the guy riding the trike on Laugh-In. Stop. Tip over.

2. THE SCENE: Quarter-pipe skateboard ramp in the garage, approximately 3 feet high, the platform of which is directly underneath a pull-string light.

THE SITUATION: Backing out of the garage on my Vee and realizing that said light is still on.

NOTE TO SELF: Do NOT ride up the ramp thinking you'll go up just enough to reach the string to turn off the light and then safely back down it.:muutt

·
Registered
278 Posts
Getting off the bike. The sidestand was not deployed correctly. Made the mistake of trying to pick up the bike and hurt my back. :headbang:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Riding a road like this...

Goodbye turn signals. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Parked the bike on fresh asphalt....tried to be smart by putting my bike up on its center stand so the kick stand would not sink in.....20 minutes later the grade and slope of the road along with the sinking center stand cased the bike to fall over. The only good thing that you could say about this one is it fell onto grass.:hurray:

only broke the tip off of the brake lever...:headbang:

·
Registered
335 Posts
After happily riding my Vee for about six months, I thought "It's supposed to be able to go off-road. Let's go off-road." :yesnod:

A few minutes later, at the top of a hill looking down into a big dry wash, I wondered how deep the sand was at the bottom and how much speed I would need to carry though to get a start on climbing up the other side without having to add a lot of throttle and possibly bury the back tire. :confused:

Moments before rolling into the sand, Panic Boy wrested the controls away from Experienced Motorcyclist. He touched the brakes just enough to lose the speed I had so carefully arranged. :headbang:

The gravelly sand in the wash was about a foot deep and thirty feet across.
Half way there things came to a mushy stop and the ground came up to meet me. :yikes:

I have since cleared that wash and many others far worse, as well as a few manuevers not recommended for a fifty-year-old man on a stock Strom. The bike has not failed me yet, however I go home pretty tired from trying to just hang on and not fall over again. :hurray:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I, too, dropped my last bike while standing on the right side pulling a bungee cord to secure a duffel- I pulled over the whole bike. Of course this happened in the middle of a crowded campground a T.W.O.

p.s.- I never park the bike facing downhill as a small bump from behind could push it forward off the kickstand.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
... parked on his super steep road facing downhill.
That was the real mistake.

Hi, I'm Eric and I've dropped two stroms a total of four times. It's been two years and five months since my last drop.
You'd think after dropping the first one three times, I would have learned enough not to drop the new one.

1) Stopped in a parking lot driveway to let traffic pass before pulling out, with the front wheel in the gutter and the rear on the slope, which created a much longer reach to the ground for my feet.
2) Stopping at a stop sign, put my foot down in some sand and slipped.
3) In a parking lot, starting up a steep hill at an awkward angle and tried to straighten out before I had enough speed.
4) Again in a parking lot, not really sure what happened but down it went.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ahh - which one to tell.

The grilfriends bike has been lowered to accomodate her short feet.
One day I needed points so I decided to wash said bike.

Boy - that sure is clean, but what about the water drops on the yellow paint.

:bom_idea3: I'll use the leaf blower. Brake levers aren't cheap.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mine was pulling in to a fuel station and out of the blue a small kid ran from in between the pumps directly in my path. Luckily I was close to a full stop but my front tire hit a diesel slick and slid so when I stopped my front had slid over just enough that I couldn't balance it out enough to keep it upright.. It was a controlled fall and luckily the crashbars did their job and fortunately there was no damage.. The kid just stood their with huge eyes and his dad just kept filling up his truck but turned his back to me..

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have since cleared that wash and many others far worse, as well as a few manuevers not recommended for a fifty-year-old man on a stock Strom. :hurray:

From one 50 year old off roader on a Stock Strom to another.... :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Rode up to Prudhoe Bay and back, 9000 miles.

Last night of the trip, stopped at a hotel 240 miles from home.

Unloaded my topcase, tankbag, and helmet, unzipped my suit to the waist. Oh god, it felt SO good to have some ventilation in 90 degree evening heat.

Started riding thru the parking lot looking for where my buddy parked his bike. Stood up on the pegs for awhile, scanning over the tops of cars. He yells at me from behind "Hey, you passed it" ... so I look over my shoulder at him, then see his bike behind me. I slowly apply the front brakes. The bike stops faster than expected. I try to put my left foot down, but I'm standing on the pegs, so.... over it fell at 0mph, with me jumping off of it!

Figures, first time I dump my bike, I'm not wearing my helmet!

I was only 240 miles from being the only guy to not drop his bike on the trip, too... :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Took off from a stop sign into a 90 degree turn and stalled the bike at very little over an idle, scratched the GIVI crash bar I had put on the day before. :headbang: So glad I put those crash bars on or it would have been the tank and fairing against the curb. :yesnod:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Took off from a stop sign into a 90 degree turn and stalled the bike at very little over an idle, scratched the GIVI crash bar I had put on the day before. :headbang: So glad I put those crash bars on or it would have been the tank and fairing against the curb. :yesnod:
I've found that the Wee has a bit of low-speed fueling issue when cold. More than once I've tossed it into a right-hander pulling away from a stop sign and the grunt just dies mid-acceleration... gotta dab your foot to keep the thing off the ground!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts