StromTrooper banner

How Warm should Gerbing Vanguard Gloves Be???

1060 10
I have 12V Gerbing Vanguard gloves and their heated jacket liner. The highest setting I have ever used for the jacket liner is 1-3 in under 30 degree weather and the jacket is toasty and warm. However, the gloves at the full setting have never felt warm. I can feel just the tiniest bit of warmth in the gloves at the highest setting, but nothing even close to jacket level. I use the dual controller and have looked at my cabling situation several times. Gerbing has been no help. The gloves are extremely well made and comfortable if I can just get some more heat. This is my second cold season with them without any change. Just trying to figure out if they should work to the level I expect or just to the level they currently perform.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My wife has the full Gerbing set and she's not too careful with them. We regularly find wires breaking because she sits on them or something. Before you go any further, break out the multimeter and test the wiring and the gloves themselves.

Wiring: At the glove connector you should be measuring 12V DC at full heat, maybe a little less at lower settings.
Gloves: At the glove connector you can measure resistance. Should be in the low ohms range, maybe around one half to one ohm. I don't have the exact value, but infinite is no good.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I have a Gerbings vest that always got too hot at the connector junction. Then one day it quit working at all. When I took it apart the connector was assembled incorrectly. I fixed the wiring myself.

Look at @BackPacker post above. It’s all easy DC type electrics.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have 12V Gerbing Vanguard gloves and their heated jacket liner. The highest setting I have ever used for the jacket liner is 1-3 in under 30 degree weather and the jacket is toasty and warm. However, the gloves at the full setting have never felt warm. I can feel just the tiniest bit of warmth in the gloves at the highest setting, but nothing even close to jacket level. I use the dual controller and have looked at my cabling situation several times. Gerbing has been no help. The gloves are extremely well made and comfortable if I can just get some more heat. This is my second cold season with them without any change. Just trying to figure out if they should work to the level I expect or just to the level they currently perform.
I'm not familiar with Garbing, either, but can you plug the gloves directly into the controller? If so see if there is any difference, or heat between plugins. I rather suspect it is in the wiring junction where it branches off both arms to the glove end, as you are getting negligible heat from both gloves, rather than just one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Gerbins jacket liner is considerably warmer in heat output than my Gerbings gloves. They have always been that way. The jacket is always able to provide more warmth than needed. I wish the gloves were warmer. I went to a local dealer and tried out a demo of new Gerbings gloves and they were no warmer, so apparently they are normal, which is not really good. I don't know why they would design them that way, but that’s how it is.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, All of the comments have been helpful. I do have a second pair but have the same issue. I'll test connections with volt meter to see if thats the issue. If not then I guess they wont heat to my expectations. I connect directly to jacket to and then jacket to gloves, maybe missing some voltage along the line.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have the gloves plugged into the jacket liner or are they direct to the battery?
Gloves connected to jacket. I don't have a y splitter to connect directly to gloves and they wont connect directly to the controller without one. I have a second set of gloves with same issue. Also have a second controller - same issue. Going to check electrics from jacket to gloves
with a meter, that may be the problem or get a y to see if there is a difference. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The original Gerbing sold many years ago to a company in the South as I recall. I have the Jacket and gloves from the original Gerbings they are 25 to 30 years old, gloves and jacket are super warm never a problem with a dual controller with gloves hooked to the jacket. (y)

Reactions: Inpitt/Mac50

·
Registered
95 Posts
My wife has the full Gerbing set and she's not too careful with them. We regularly find wires breaking because she sits on them or something. Before you go any further, break out the multimeter and test the wiring and the gloves themselves.

Wiring: At the glove connector you should be measuring 12V DC at full heat, maybe a little less at lower settings.
Gloves: At the glove connector you can measure resistance. Should be in the low ohms range, maybe around one half to one ohm. I don't have the exact value, but infinite is no good.
Could you explain, step-by-step, how to do this? Very much appreciated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts