StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure something out: Are heated gloves supposed to be WARM or just enough to offset numbing cold? I've got a jacket/gloves combo and the jacket is pumping out heat, but the gloves feel like they're "turned off". At 40-degrees my hands were going numb after thirty minutes and that doesn't seem right. The gloves I'm using are FirstGear and I need to know how warm I should expect them to be before I start looking into an alternative.

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
If the gloves and jacket are not designed to work together, they don't. My Widder gloves plugged into the Gerbing jacket is not a match. The gloves get hot and the jacket stays cooler. If I run a separate line from the twin controller They both work fine.
The Gloves should give comfort down to too dang cold to ride and then you are still fine.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I've ridden in 25 degrees with my Gerbing gloves and my hands were nice and warm.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I also use the First Gear carbon gloves. I use a Powerlet jacket liner. Both are run through a Warmnsafe dual troller.

When I do run my gloves through my jacket liner, I find that the jacket gets quite warm with the dial to less than 50%. but the gloves are still cold. To get my gloves to warm up enough, I would have to turn it up to 75% but then my torso and arms are way too hot. When I run each individually, I find that then I can keep the jacket low (30%) and crank up my gloves to around 75%. After running at this setting for a while (10-20 minutes tops) then the gloves start to get too hot and I dial it down a bit to a comfortable warm temperature instead of hot.

That said, I also use a pair of Gerbing G3 gloves and find that they are better suited to sub-freezing weather, whereas the First Gear gloves are good to about freezing.

Try running just your gloves and see how hot they get.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought them as a combo deal from Warm&Safe and just sent them an email about my problem. The only possible issue might be with the contacts on the connectors maybe? It's just wire and electricity, it should work if it's getting voltage.

So, is the Gerbing coax connector universal with other gear? I'm thinking about just going with the Gerbing gloves and being done with it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good lord, it turns out the gloves were "turned off". There's a connector inside the jacket that connects the glove plugs to the circuit. I hadn't had a chance to check the voltage on the plugs yet.

+1 for Warm&Safe's customer support. He got back to me fast and with the correct information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was thinking about gloves or heated grips. Dose anyone have experience with both? I would think gloves would work better.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about gloves or heated grips. Dose anyone have experience with both? I would think gloves would work better.
I used to have heated grips and when they finally broke, I switched to gloves. Gloves are a lot warmer, but you have to be committed to them...there's cable management, cost, etc. I could see myself installing both, for those days when want some warm, but you don't need the warm.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,406 Posts
I think both is the best way to go! Heated grips are ALWAYS nice on a chilly day, but the heated gloves are unbeatable in sub 40 temps and especially in rain at those temps. I find that the heated grips on low setting ( maybe an occasional on-off cycle ) keeps my hands toasty warm when using the heated gloves. FWIW, I have the Gerbings G3 gloves, jacket, and pants. I don't see the need for a dual controller at all with the setup as I use it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I always run my glove and grips together on a higher setting than my jacket liner.

·
Registered
89 Posts
+1 for Warm n Safe customer support and products. I have both grips and heated gloves and if I could only have one it would be good working gloves. I am using the first gear gloves with a warm n safe full sleeve liner and single heat-troller and they do a fine job of keeping the 64 yr. old rat claws toasty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts