StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at ways to weigh my Wee fully loaded down with my Gear and full tank of gas...……???

1. Stalky Tracker suggested using my local landfill......that they typically have scales there. (my landfill is not close by...….thank goodness)
2. I have a truck stop gas station nearby that use to advertise those Black Cat Scales...….or something like that?? I'm sure they would charge me some $$$ to weigh it...…...but I'm cheap.
3. Bathroom Scales?? Place (roll up on??) front wheel on scales, weigh...….then do back wheel. But I'm afraid the weight will bust my delicate scales??
4. Interstate Weigh Station?? Would my "tiny" little Wee even budge their scales??
5. Maybe a metal recycling yard......which should have scales?? (again, not one near me)

Other ideas??? I have tried to lighten my bike little by little, so I cannot assume its "naked weight" from the factory is accurate...….plus all the added farkles add weight. I am running Helium in the Tars to make the bike overall lighter...…...I have to tie it down to something in the garage.
:devilish:

·
Registered
667 Posts
The accuracy of most commercial vehicle weight scales is around 100lbs, so that's not a great option.

Elevate the rear wheel, and side stand to the same height as the bathroom scale. Weight the front. Repeat for 2 other positions. By splitting the weight in 3 you should not exceed the weight capacity of the scale.

Most bath scales are good for 300lbs.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
I've gone to the local recycle place. They have a drive on scale. I've stopped on one of the back road scales in Oregon. Those seem to be accurate too. Basic bike weight 500 pounds on the scale. Bathroom scale should weigh you and your gear. Just add the 2 numbers.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Honestly ST is right especially if its informational and you not going to do anything about it. Jut leave it as the DL is not svelte and ride.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Locale landscape supply yard.
Most scales only Charge if you need a certificate.
Park, walk in and tell them what you need. Most will help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In a recent Fortune video, Ryan F9 showed that weighing each wheel individually and adding the two values was the same as weighing the entire bike at once. That's my memory of it. But the landscape supply place idea is a good one. No idea what the accuracy would be, though.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
In a recent Fortune video, Ryan F9 showed that weighing each wheel individually and adding the two values was the same as weighing the entire bike at once. That's my memory of it. But the landscape supply place idea is a good one. No idea what the accuracy would be, though.
Yup, just remember that the "off-scale" wheel needs to be the same height as the one on the scale.
PS: you can also use that method to weigh your 143lb dog. (they hate it when you tie all four feet together)

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Easy. Just take it all apart, weight each part individually, and add them up.😇

Still not clear what you hope to find out. Do you think you are exceeding the max weight? Or just trying to satisfy idle curiosity?

·
Registered
186 Posts
PS: you can also use that method to weigh your 143lb dog. (they hate it when you tie all four feet together)
Good point. Must remember to be careful with the 143 lb cat as well. Those hips (and claws) don't lie. The bike should be easy, all things considered.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Parked at roadside scales twice, ZG100 in Kalispell and DL1000 in Tok, asked if I could weigh the bike w me on it. Both times the attendant said yes. Full fuel, camp gear, four days of food, etc., they gave me the total and I was on my way.
ZG was 1060, DL was 1040.
Why did I want to know? To know what I’d be lifting if I dropped it. Subtract 245 for me in ATGATT. Never had to pick up the ZG. So far only had to lift the DL once (forgot I stopped in second gear, stalled on start) about halfway from Hyder to Salmon glacier.

jathkajoe

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still not clear what you hope to find out. Do you think you are exceeding the max weight? Or just trying to satisfy idle curiosity?
Maybe same reason many riders put their bikes on Dynos to find out what kind of HP the engines are putting out ?? (not including air/fuel ratio adjustments) It may not make a hill-of-beans at the end of the day, but just out of curiosity maybe?
(jathkajoe had a good reason above, in my opinion..........)

Got my answers from the masses of how to do it............and then some. Thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
Cat® brand scales at truck stops are certified to within 20lb (same as DOT scales), in the US at least: $10.50USD, re-weigh $2.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts