StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
813 kms at 120-140km/hr will reduce the tread to 1/16"....hope I make it home, I still have 800kms to go...maybe I should try slowing down...

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
That's not all that fast... are you also running the front tire at half the recommended pressure?

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pressure was checked before I left-but I will double check it before leaving this am 36/40 if I recall correctly...,will check manual to be sure- Thanks

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
813 kms at 120-140km/hr will reduce the tread to 1/16"....hope I make it home, I still have 800kms to go...maybe I should try slowing down...
I commute at much higher speed than that, and my front would have lasted a good 20,000km, but I replaced it at 16 or so... I have 14,000km on my second front (battlewing) and it still looks new.

It's definitely not a speed issue, but a temperature issue.
Even low air pressure wouldn't wear it that fast (?)

Was the tire brand new and you rode for 800 or so kms in one stretch?
If so, it's your fault: new tires need to be heat-cycled to achieve their maximum grip and longevity; warm it up, cool it down, repeat 3 or times. (I'm surprised at how few people (tire dealers included) know about that.

·
Registered
22,241 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
  • Bob, do you recall possibly following a truck with a poorly secured load of cheese graters?
  • In the middle of the night, after you've fallen asleep have you ever awakened (or awoked) to realize to your utter horror that you may suffer from Restless Stoppie Syndrome?
  • Perhaps you accidently washed your front tire with a small can of Metrodude Exfoliant for Men.

One day I decided to round up all the tire pressure guages I could find around the house and in the cars.

Of the five I found to appear to be working, only two were within a couple pounds of each other at 40 psi. The difference from the highest to the lowest at 40 psi was 7 psi. I still havent decided which one to trust.

If in doubt change it out, enjoy the trip.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
Reference please?
Tire Tech Information - Competition Tire Heat Cycling Service

Heat Cycling - Discount Tire Direct

The Motorcycle Tire Bible - Good Info - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Motorcycle tires use very similar compounds to what is found in cars' racing rubber; in fact, they are even softer.

Passenger car tire manufacturers do not insist on heat cycling for two reasons:
- Cars generally aren't driven hard
- The compounds that go into street-tires for cars are already rock hard.
Passenger car tires also benefit from heat cycling; neglecting to do it right will not compromise the tire's integrity, but everyone must have noticed that brand new tires aren't very sticky on the first day.

You can believe me or not, but riding 800 kms in a row on a brand new tire without letting it cool down will destroy the tire. You have empirical proof of this in the first post of this thread.

Heat cycling a tire recombines the tread molecules, aallowing it to become stickier and more durable.
It is only after the first few heat cycles that the rubber holds together. Until then, it just rubs off the tire. That is why new tires are not sticky, not because of some slimy mold release that needs to be scrubbed off.

·
Registered
302 Posts

Motorcycle tires use very similar compounds to what is found in cars' racing rubber; in fact, they are even softer.

Passenger car tires also benefit from heat cycling; neglecting to do it right will not compromise the tire's integrity, but everyone must have noticed that brand new tires aren't very sticky on the first day.

You can believe me or not, but riding 800 kms in a row on a brand new tire without letting it cool down will destroy the tire. You have empirical proof of this in the first post of this thread.

Heat cycling a tire recombines the tread molecules, aallowing it to become stickier and more durable.
It is only after the first few heat cycles that the rubber holds together. Until then, it just rubs off the tire. That is why new tires are not sticky, not because of some slimy mold release that needs to be scrubbed off.
Sorry but the first link doesn't take me to anything meaningful, the second takes me to a site talking about competition car tires, and the third is a link to a forum post from some guy about tires.

Do you have any manufacturer information relating to this? I didn't check every manufacturer's site, but I checked Bridgestone's. They had lots of info about mounting and "breaking in" tires, but nothing about heat cycling.

Infomation for Safety Use of MC tires | Products | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation

LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL DUE TO FAILURE TO “BREAK-IN” TIRES.

• Use extreme caution when riding on new tires.
  • Avoid sudden acceleration,maximum braking,and hard cornering for first 100 miles.
I've never seen any manufacturer mention heat-cycling street motorcycle tires (not car tires, not racing tires) as a consideration for proper break-in.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
[...]
[*]Use extreme caution when riding on new tires.
[*]Avoid sudden acceleration,maximum braking,and hard cornering for first 100 miles.
[/LIST]
I've never seen any manufacturer mention heat-cycling street motorcycle tires (not car tires, not racing tires) as a consideration for proper break-in.
They don't talk about heat-cycling because most tire users wouldn't understand what it's about. How many average consumers out there know anything about tires really?
I think for the manufacturers, it's a case of "less information is more".

You're allowed to not believe what I said about the lack of heat-cycling being the cause for the accelerated tire wear discussed here. I understand how tires work, and offered a/the explanation. It's simply the truth about how tires grip. I'm nopt going to argue it and try to convince you to change your position anymore than I'd argue evolution with a creationist.

·
Registered
302 Posts
They don't talk about heat-cycling because most tire users wouldn't understand what it's about. How many average consumers out there know anything about tires really?
I think for the manufacturers, it's a case of "less information is more".

You're allowed to not believe what I said about the lack of heat-cycling being the cause for the accelerated tire wear discussed here. I understand how tires work, and offered a/the explanation. It's simply the truth about how tires grip. I'm nopt going to argue it and try to convince you to change your position anymore than I'd argue evolution with a creationist.
If you can't defend your position without resorting to insults, it's not much of a position, is it?

If riding a new tire for 800 miles non-stop would destroy it, you really think manufacturers wouldn't put a sentence or two on their website to that effect? You expect me to believe that you know more about tires than every manufacturer, and that this bit of esoterica that only you appear to be able to grasp is essential to the proper break-in of a tire? Further, you really believe that no lawyer has yet to latch on to this bit of omission on the part of manufacturers and turn it into a class-action lawsuit? Seriously?

Every motorcycle manufacturer provides tips on proper break-in of bikes, and people seem to be able to grasp that, but you are of the opinion that tire manufacturers don't talk about this because "most tire users wouldn't understand what it's about." Seriously?

You have a very inflated opinion of yourself, and you seem to pass on a lot of urban-legends and opinion as fact.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you can't defend your position without resorting to insults, it's not much of a position, is it?

You have a very inflated opinion of yourself, and you seem to pass on a lot of urban-legends and opinion as fact.
Pot meet Kettle :thumbup:

Personally I agree with your general comments, just not the last sentence. Don't even mention "darkside", its all a conspiracy by tire manufactures to sell us crap tires which don't work and wear out quickly ;-)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
One day I decided to round up all the tire pressure guages I could find around the house and in the cars.

Of the five I found to appear to be working, only two were within a couple pounds of each other at 40 psi. The difference from the highest to the lowest at 40 psi was 7 psi. I still havent decided which one to trust.

Yes, I've always thought I needed to pony up for one really good quality air gauge, probably not a travel model, which would be kept in a case and used to calibrate all my other low-quality air gauges. Who makes an accurate, good quality air gauge? I usually use one of a couple pen-style ones, but who knows how accurate they really are.

·
Registered
815 Posts

Another load of drivel from our duck.

First link goes no where useful.

Second link is a tire supplier trying to sell their tire break in service, because as they say doing it on the vehicle is not always successful.

Third link is a forum post with no proof of anything except being one person's opinion. It even contradicts the claim to need heat cycling.

"Race tires material when new is semi-stable but if the tire is raced then it enters a new cycle of curing, curing makes the tire harder thus it becomes less effective in race terms.
The first heat cycle of a tire is called scrubbing (break in) from there on every heat cycle changes a tire to some degree in the direction of harder, less flexible and less adhesive. Race tires can loose effectiveness before the treat wears enough if they go through many heat cycles. For some tires three cycles is too many! While other show a performance drop off initially and then maintain a good level of performance until the tread is worn off."

As for tire gauges, for sure, check your gauge against some others. I found what I thought was my best gauge was way off.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts