StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week I need to travel out of state for both a wedding and a funeral on the same weekend. I will be traveling alone, so I intend to ride the vstrom.
I have the stock Suzuki side bags and trunk.
With the limited storage space I have available, I don't know how to pack my dress clothes, dress shoes and dark suit for travel. It will be squashed before I get there. I also need to plan for sour weather.

I will be staying with family, so there is no need to carry additional camping gear. I'll be traveling in my normal riding gear but storing the dress clothes... somehow.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I always pack dress clothes in a top case, I put my suit in a light weight cheap hanging garment bag and fold it in the middle. Place nothing on top of the dress clothes, I put my computer bag below in the bottom of the top case. When traveling I just take one suit and two shirts, two ties if needed etc. When you get to the destination you can place the dress clothes in a dryer on no more than warm with a moist dress sock or something to get the wrinkles tamed. Hang it up immediately and it looks decent. You will need a large top case though, at least a 46 liter or so, I use a 52 liter Givi. The big Givi can haul a few pairs of dress slacks and a sport coat and more if needed. Just put all light weight stuff in there. I wear formal business attire often and like to ride motorcycles instead of flying, there are whole lines of clothing that resist wrinkles.

I put my shoes and misc stuff in the left hard bag, right side gets my duffle bag with everything else.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Never done it, but if I had to...FEDEX.

Reactions: 216022

·
Registered
145 Posts
+1 on FEDEX

:thumbup:

·
Administrator
13,946 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
You can use a regular clothes iron to steam a suit- just never touch the fabric with the iron. Steam a little, then work out the wrinkles with your hands. The pants you can iron on high with a cloth napkin or similar between the pants and the iron.

You can also hang the suit, shirts and ties in the bathroom while you shower- the steam helps.

There are wrinkle-release sprays that work just ok.

If I had to Fedex a suit, I would just take the pickup.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shipping my clothes is not an option but thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Take the suit to a local dry cleaner once you arrive?

If the bike is clean enough, change in the parking lot at the dry cleaners then wear the suit while riding to the different events. Not very ATGATT, I know, but sometimes you gotta compromise...

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've always heard rolling your clothes, whether shirts, jackets or pants, is the best way to minimize wrinkles. That's the method I've always used, and it works pretty well. There are a couple roller garment bags on the market, but I haven't bothered to go that far. However, I'm intrigued by the method and links V-Tom provided. I think I'll give that a go and see how well it works.

Escape the cage!

·
Registered
491 Posts
James Bond would just wear his suit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ha! awesome. dressed to kill.
Those how-to links are perfect! I may try that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That inside-out jacket folding method works very well. I had a flight attendant do that for me years ago and was very impressed. She did it in about 3 seconds. I still can't fold it as well as she did, but it is better than before.

A lot of people swear by the rolling method, but I am not very good at that either.

I just fold the best I can and then unpack as soon as I get to the hotel, hang stuff on the shower rod, put the shower on hot, and steam everything for about 10 mins. By morning most wrinkles are out.

Did that for >50 nights in Marriotts last year...

·
Administrator
13,946 Posts
I wear suit and tie to work everyday except Saturdays) and commute by bike when there isn't snow on the ground. On very hot days I'll put shorts on for the travel and put my suit in the topcase. Basically putting it on top should mean it doesn't wrinkle.

Here is a way to fold your jacket so it doesn't get wrinkled:

How to Fold a Suit Jacket When Traveling | The Compass

Here's another take on things:

How to Fold a Suit for Travel: 18 Steps - wikiHow

..Tom
FWIW I have been doing the Jacket fold I mentioned above since before my post above and it works. Pants on top of everything else in the the topcase don't need any special treatment. My bigger trips Summer of 2019 and May of 2018 had training for work as part of the destinations and both cases travelled over 10,000 km / 6,000 miles and the jacket and pants were presentable when I arrived at home.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I have used this PACK-IT™ REVEAL GARMENT FOLDER | EagleCreek United States
and found it to be effective for shirts and slacks.
I use the same principle for packing any suitcase, tail bag, saddlebag.
  • I cut a piece of cardboard slightly smaller than the suitcase opening.
  • I use that cardboard as an insert to fold my clothes leaving an opening on one side.
  • Remove the cardboard and lay the clothes in he suitcase.
  • Every Sq In of space is used.
*** Not suitable for suit jackets.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts