StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just bought a DL650 and the seller told him it has ABS. How can we tell if this is true?

There are no stickers indicating this on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. this is a 2007, is it different on this bike? That brake rotor doesn't even look the same as in the picture.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It doesn't have ABS. Otherwise it would have fender stickers, nobody takes them off, the rings pictured and an ABS light in the bottom of the speedo face.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I might recommend you get going full bore and hit the brakes in an area where you wouldn't have good traction, and see if the ABS kicks in......just kidding!! :jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This site shows 2007 VStroms with ABS, and none of them have that silver ring on them. Also none of them say ABS on the side anywhere i can see.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS

I was wrong about the brake rotor, it does look like the picture rconti posted.

The instrument cluster does not have any ABS lights on it though.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea Maineman, i suggested that idea already. It wasn't received too well. lol

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
While the stickers may be removed, there is no way around the ABS sensor rings. Without them, ABS can't function. The rings, sensors, pump housing behind the shock and ABS light on the speedo are all required. Those web site pics are mislabeled as were others directly from Suzuki. The bikes are not ABS. Here's a 2007 ABS bike and fiches showing rings #7 rear and #4 front. Sorry for the size but I think it needs to be clear beyond doubt.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I believe you can run the VIN through a "VIN decoder" such as here. If the model comes back as a DL650A, the "A" denotes an ABS model. It worked for mine.

seiseman

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. It appears this is a non ABS model.

Have to decide what to do now since it was already purchased. Ugh, what a mess.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ABS

While I like having abs, it's most certainly not required. I've ridden well over 100k miles and this is the first bike I've owned that had abs on it. (btw, have 500 miles on this one) It's nice to have, but I certainly wouldn't reject a bike because it didn't have it.

Bill H.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's exactly how we feel at this point as well, however we did agree to pay a bit more for this bike because we were told it did have ABS.

Perhaps the seller was told it has ABS when he bought it originally.

I have never owned a bike with ABS, but the advantages for a new rider are obvious. It would have been ideal to have it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Those website photos are incorrect. In 2007 ABS was only available in grey. 2008 ABS was only available in black. Then Grey again in 2009.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts