StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm in a predicament. looks like i won't be able to ride the wee to a bike shop to have them put on the new tires. so it looks like i will be having to take the tires and wheels separately of the bike and just take them in. (it's supposed to be raining here for the next couple of weeks or so and i don't feel like riding on new tires in the rain)

whats the best way to balance/prop up my wee with no tires/wheels on it?:confused:

FYI, i've got a center stand, a rear wheel stand, and a floor jack.

any ideas or pictures are welcome! i've tried searching the forum but can't find anything specifically what i am looking for.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I used some scrap lumber, 2x12 base with a length of 4x4 screwed on end, to stick underneath my Givi bars where they meet in front of the engine. It's been very handy and easy to use, never any stability problems, and easy to kick it in place while I lift up the front end.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you have something you can hang the bike from, rafters, a tree limb
not really...the only thing i was thinking for stability would be a couple of lag hooks into my trusses to maybe hold the front of the bike up? my garage is finished with Sheetrock and all, plus it's not very big and the garage door has to be able to open and close still...which might cause other issues...:headbang:

i might have to research this on a little bit...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used some scrap lumber, 2x12 base with a length of 4x4 screwed on end, to stick underneath my Givi bars where they meet in front of the engine. It's been very handy and easy to use, never any stability problems, and easy to kick it in place while I lift up the front end.
i was trying to think of something like this as well? being able to support the front of my bike from under my PWD skidplate...

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
reminds me of a joke ...

It goes like this, y'all.

Yo mamma so fat, when she haul ass, she gots to make two trips!

Maybe it would be safest to take off one wheel at a time.

And when you put a load on the rack, to hoist the front wheel off the ground,
please be sure to fasten that load on securely. Riding season is too short to
waste time mending bones while the sun shines.

However you proceed, good luck!
Keith

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've gone the rear swingarm stand/floor jack route before with no issues...just do all the untightening before you jack the front end up!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've done it a few times before on different bikes using just the centerstand and a bottle jack under a 2 x 4 resting under the motor / pipes. I don't have kids at home so as long as the wife or I know walk in to the bike sitting in the garage its been fine.

Yeah, loosen the stuff before you take the weight off.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Park it in a ghetto neighborhood

If your a biker and intend on staying one.

Look at Harbor freight I think you can buy both ends for like $60 then you have them. Long term storage my bike is on a swing arm stand

I also have real jack stands which can be used too.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Loosen the wheels on both ends. Take the chain off the sprocket. Get the calipers out of the way. Lay the bike on its side, remove the wheels, etc.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If by floor jack, you mean one of those great Motorcycle Lifts that lift the bike up by the middle, use that in conjunction with a Winch Strap tiedown to keep it from falling over one way or another when the tires are removed....

I have a couple of small wooden blocks that allow me to lift my bike with the motorcycle Jack, they fit between the jack arms and the engine casing / exhaust....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here you go...

Balancing act, to be sure. And note the straps coming up off the crashguards. That was more for piece of mind than anything. They were slightly slack. In the rear, there's a 2X4 on top of a small jack.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
We mounted an engine guard on a friends Wee on the weekend. He doesn't have a center stand yet. We cut a V in the top of a couple of 2X4's and put them under the engine guards on each side, and it was rock solid. Takes 5 minutes to put that together and costs nothing if you have spare wood around.

The same idea IndyRider described.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what I had imagined! We will see what happens.

The shop that I got my tires through now said that they could get it done for me today, after I talked to the manager of course! We will see if it happens or not.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Here you go...

Balancing act, to be sure. And note the straps coming up off the crashguards. That was more for piece of mind than anything. They were slightly slack. In the rear, there's a 2X4 on top of a small jack.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Have a solid-ish A-frame ladder?

My goal was front end (fork) work. But the it'd work.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I have done it with a front and rear stand. Also just the rear stand center stand and a Jack under the skid plate.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Not mine. But it worked.

Although I should add that it makes working on the front of the bike a PITA. The next morning I went out and bought some eye bolts and strung it up from the ceiling.

Guys @ work says Larry the Cable guy want's his motorcycle lift back. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I meant to add that if you use your bike's centerstand its a good idea to use a tie down (or similar) to connect from the centerstand to some point forward on the bike. I've heard of someone having their centerstand retract and really make a cluster @#$%.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts