StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I.m SICK :( of being logged out whilst composing a thread, RR or reply, I have just (Again) attempted to submit a RR with maps,images etc only to find I have been logged out and all is lost.Very dissapointing :(
I am at the point where If this cant be solved I wont bother posting. Other forums I submit to that are FREE , I can stay logged in indefinately!.These are the ones I will be submitting RR's to. I don't really want to just post a "link" to another forum- We ride a 'Strom so want to put or 'Strom rides here :)
HELP!

ps I know it is possible to compose a RR using "office" or whatever and
"paste" it here? but I dont have that knowledge atm. I just want to extend the automatic log out to an hr or 2 or remove it. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
posting issues

Cutting and pasting ( use ctrl C and Ctrl V ) from Word helps me sometimes; but after you have posted you can go back and edit your post and save it again.
Don't give up.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Do you click the "remember me" box when you log in? If not, do that. Also, you can compose your post in any word processor or note pad. Highlight you composition and copy it. Ctrl-C will copy highlighted material in Windows and Ctrl-V will paste whatever you copied or you can use the toolbar. Other operating systems have ways to copy and paste too.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
The safest thing to do if more than just short response is to compose it in Microsoft "Word". When finished, you can proof read it and spell and grammar check it there. Then right click mouse, "select all" and "Ctrl C" (copy). Then go back to the forum thread open text panel and "Ctrl V" to paste it in your posting text panel.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It's probably something to do with your computer Idon't think i've logged in to this site in about 6 months lol
What you do so you don't get logged out?

I am also constantly getting logged out when just browsing or following a link outside of this side and read that for a little while. I have not timed it but guess 5 maybe 10 minutes. In the past it did not seem to matter when I used the "remember me" feature. I doubt it does but will try it again. I thought that is just a cookie to remember the user name next time you log on.

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
I have the same problem. Figured I was too long away or I simply timed out.
The site has to protect itself so it's part of using the forum.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What you do so you don't get logged out?

I am also constantly getting logged out when just browsing or following a link outside of this side and read that for a little while. I have not timed it but guess 5 maybe 10 minutes. In the past it did not seem to matter when I used the "remember me" feature. I doubt it does but will try it again. I thought that is just a cookie to remember the user name next time you log on.

Its bloody annoying! as commented even browsing or following a link causes "log out" - particularly when you are a paid up legit subscriber :(

I thank all respondants and see the benefit of using MS Word etc :)
This is something that will ease the post topic urgency :) but wont solve the timeout when browsing the forum and getting disrupted for 5 mins or so. Other (free) forums seem to protect themselves without the timeout....

·
Registered
122 Posts
As said, click the "remember me" button when logging in. The cookie might expire after 10 minutes depending on how it's set up. I'm never logged off on this forum or any of the others I'm on that the Canucks own.

·
38,049 Posts
If you check the remember me box, you should never get logged out. Did you do that?

·
Administrator
1,128 Posts
You should also check to make sure that your browser is set to remember cookies for this site. If not, even if you click the remember me button, it will ignore that setting and ask you to log in again.

~Sheena

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think the issue of not being logged out is different than the site timing out.... I never get logged out, but get timed out if I was looking at a post, walked away for whatever the timeout period is, came back to look at the next page of posts.... the message says no data available or something similar. I presume similarly if you were working on a post, and do not execute any actions that will restart the timer (Preview Post, e.g., as suggested), you will get timed out. A couple of forums I'm on have a timeout feature, otherwise hundreds of us would be using server time 24-7.

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
I've had some really snappy replies go "Poof". I should always do a copy when I try to move away from the response box
I hate rewriting especially when I got too wordy.
O Dang!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you check the remember me box, you should never get logged out. Did you do that?
Thanks Greywolf and all members for replies and suggestions, yes I do tick the "remember me" box but I have still been logged out (site says I have to log back in and displays the username/pass word boxes)
Interestingly I have found at times if I dont type in my username, p/w and just click "enter" and wait maybe 30 seconds.....I get back "in" to the topic/reply I was composing and my submission is still "safe" ;)
I cant say this is always reliable though!
And to be honest i cant recall if it works on both my computers as I access the site from 2 different machines- one running XP and the other Windows 8.1 and now 10.

·
38,049 Posts
That's a cookie problem. You browser is either set not to do cookies or the cookie is corrupt. If the latter, you can delete them and let them be re-created next session.

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
Corrupted cookies. Is that like chocolate cookies gone bad?
Sometimes when I bake them they go a bit thin. No nuts please!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a cookie problem. You browser is either set not to do cookies or the cookie is corrupt. If the latter, you can delete them and let them be re-created next session.
Browser on both machines is Firefox, I havent seen "allow cookies" or similar but I would assume I would deny cookies generally when browsing.
I.m now tempted to use "word" - just have to bludge a copy of it or similar from somewhere..so i can take as long as I like to compose a RR but geez... 'puters are A LOT different now to when I last used a word processor (which was seldom) and the OS was DOS!
To be honest I "gave up" trying to understand Windows when Windows 3 came along! :(

·
38,049 Posts
Look at Tools/Options/Privacy and click Remove individual cookies. In the search box, type stromtrooper. Check all the stromtrooper.com listings and remove them.

If you do that though, be aware you will need to log on with your name and password. Also, things relying on your recent activity such as new posts won't work at first because the information about your past usage is what you just erased.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts