StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done all the searching I know how to do and can't find a way to disable the Allstate ads, mainly the annoying audio, and then it turns into some other youtube crap that I couldn't care less about. Other than finding the main audio mute in my computer, there has to be some other way.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You might try using a browser extension such as Adblock Plus and/or a privacy extension such as Privacy Badger. I allow most ads on this site out of consideration for site funding etc but have never seen the one you mention.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Has anyone else seen/heard this. I've got to wonder if ad malware is the culprit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't matter what thread I bring up, I get Dennis Haysbert (sp) talking about Allstate, then when he is done, I get some youtube video, usually there are two of them per page, one is about a second behind the other one, so I get dual audio. I've got an XP machine that also has Linux on it, it happens on both. I also have a W 8 machine that it happens on as well. If a thread has a link to another thread and I open that, the same thing happens. It must be me if no one has encountered this.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Linux is more resistant to malware but it is not immune, and all browsers are vulnerable to some degree. It's also possible to pick up a DNS redirector in your router if you're really shit outta luck. Might be worth looking into any common links such as browser extensions you share between OSs ie same extension installed in Firefox or Chrome etc on all three.
It could even be a deal that's been struck by your ISP to insert Allstate ads in place of others, which would be really shitty behaviour.

For the DNS thing I like to use OpenDNS servers rather than my ISPs servers for a number of reasons. It might be worth trying.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Linux is more resistant to malware but it is not immune, and all browsers are vulnerable to some degree. It's also possible to pick up a DNS redirector in your router if you're really shit outta luck. Might be worth looking into any common links such as browser extensions you share between OSs ie same extension installed in Firefox or Chrome etc on all three.
It could even be a deal that's been struck by your ISP to insert Allstate ads in place of others, which would be really shitty behaviour.

For the DNS thing I like to use OpenDNS servers rather than my ISPs servers for a number of reasons. It might be worth trying.
I tried using IE, then Safari, no problem there, so figured it must be firefox, which Linux uses as well. So there was something about blocking ads under add-ons that was disabled, I enabled it and all is well, I appreciate the help. Although I like Dennis Haysbert, hearing him each time a thread was opened got to be more than annoying.

·
Administrator
1,131 Posts
I've done all the searching I know how to do and can't find a way to disable the Allstate ads, mainly the annoying audio, and then it turns into some other youtube crap that I couldn't care less about. Other than finding the main audio mute in my computer, there has to be some other way.
Are you seeing them on the forum? If you're grab a screenshot of the ad and the URL of the ad and post it here. We can try to get the ad blocked from accessing the forum.

Cheers,

~ dm, community support

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was happening to me was:

I open a thread, pretty much any thread. Usually after the first question and then the next answer, this Allstate ad with Dennis will appear, then when it closes, a youtube video follows and all I can see is motorcycle.com and some guy named eric bostrom is yakking about something. And usually down lower on the page, say between the 6th and 7th answers, the same thing is happening, so I get two Dennis's and two youtube videos. There is crap scrolling across the bottom, but it's too fast for me to see. I've corrected it in firefox by enabling an add-on in Avast which stops ads, and I've also fixed it in Linux, but that was too involved to post here. I found it on the web tho. So all is well for me right now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Am getting the same in Firefox....there is a link in the top right corner that says "remove advertisements" to help further the doom loop! :headbang:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Am getting the same in Firefox....there is a link in the top right corner that says "remove advertisements" to help further the doom loop! :headbang:
Yeah, when I clicked on that, it just took me to the registration page. I didn't go further as I am already registered, so not sure what that would have done.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Installed Adblock Plus into Firefox this AM....No more Allstate commercial or Motorcycle.com video...:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts