Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 vstrom 650. Its out of warranty, so i dont want to take it to the dealership for a service because they charge too much, plus i dont trust them. Its very usual here with cars and bikes service, to charge for stuff they didnt do. Thus leaving them unserviced,and eventually causing damage.

I am no mechanic, but i can work my way around the bike, and i have most of the tools to perform the tasks i need to.

I know that i need to change the oil fiter, air filter, oil, spark plugs.

What i am worried about is that i may have to change or check something, and i wont, because i didnt know i had to.

So what do mechanics do on a vstrom during a service? I want to do it myself, and because its my bike, i bet i can do it better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
First thing: get your hands on a V-Strom service manual....There you will find a maintenance schedule. Most major undertakings won't need to be done until about 15k miles or so. The oil change is very simple. Unfortunately the air filter, spark plugs, and valves on our bikes are buried under the tank and alot of plastic.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Oil changes are simple as is the chain adjustment, The Air filter and sparky plugs are not really difficult once you decide to take the time to pull off the plastic and the fuel tank. All relatively simple to do. Just don't fill the dang tank and then decide to pull it off.
It's heavy full of gas.
Oh, the plugs ans air filter really are not done all that often.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The spark plug wrench in your bike's tool kit works well, especially for the front spark plug. The radiator swings out of the way when its lower bolt is removed. You'll also have to remove the side panels and the gas tank. Does your bike have 4 spark plugs or only 2?

The air filters for all stroms are the same, except the catalog listing for early ones come without a gasket, and the old gasket must be re-used. No problem if you don't forget to remove the gasket from the old air filter and put it on the new one. If HiFlo Filtro oil and air filters are available in your region, they are good quality. Otherwise buy any good brand of oil filter and the Suzuki air filter.

Ask us at any step of the process where you have questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts