StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have tips on selling a motorcycle which is fully farkled? Should I take everything off to give it back the clean factory look? Will typical accessories be appreciated by most buyers, generally speaking?

Some of you may have seen my for sale ad in the marketplace. Bought the bike last year in April brand new and have been farkling away at it ever since. This bike was supposed to serve me for years to come, so I customized it as a touring/camping ADV bike. I also lowered it, cut and welded the kickstand, lower seat, lowering links.
The bike feels great at any speed, but I ended up seeing a great local deal on a 1200GS and now I have one bike too many. Insurance is so cheap I could easily keep both but I lack the storage.

My first thought is to sell it as is. Who wouldn’t want crash bars, engine guards, barkbuster handguards, a Givi Airflow windscreen and accessory lights, all very well installed and ready to go? And I am not super interested in selling each piece and having to package and ship it. Still I am wondering whether a less “loaded” looking bike may get more interest. Especially from people who are looking for a lowered bike and are worried about the bulk.

Thanks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
When I sold my Vstar 650 to the dealer I bought My DL from I took almost all the extras I had added off
before even thinking of going to the dealer. Sold all those parts on Ebay for an extra $850 plus the typical
$1000 the dealer wants you to have. I had tried for 3 months to sell the bike locally for $1600.

So I ended up making $1850 on a bike I could not sell outright for $250 less than that.

The biggest factor was the age. 20 years old.

·
Registered
389 Posts
my experience has been you'll get plenty of interest with all the accessories, but you may not get what you want for them. Meaning, you would probably get more money back selling off the farkles separate. Many buyers just value the bike, maybe with SOME money tacked on for your add ons. It could be a wash, but if that doesnt matter to you just keep them on.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,331 Posts
I will always pay more for a bike with quality add-ons. IF they fit what I want on the bike for how I would ride it. I think others would too. If everything else is equal, the bike with more accessories will be the one the buyers says "yes" to.

But you will be lucky to get more than about 1/3 of what the accessories cost to buy in actual value on a sale. Don't count any labor costs, you won't get that.

You will get more money in hand if you put the bike back to stock condition ( you did save those parts?) and sell it outright. Then sell off the accessories one by one.

But, there is a lot of work to doing that. A lot of BS dealing with lowball offers, shipping and packing, and advertising.

Stuff like aftermarket panniers and racks bring a lot of money on the used market and are not that hard to remove. But stuff like skid plates I probably wouldn't bother to remove. Aftermarket seats are easy and fast to sell for instance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just looked at your listing, I don't think your price is crazy high or anything considering the age, quality add-ons etc. Just need to find the right buyer, and that depends on the market. Everyone around me seems to ride sport bikes, or cruisers and I don't see a lot of other dual sports, adv bikes etc. Know that you are going to take a pretty big haircut when you buy a bike new and invest in farkels for it, but again this is market dependent. If trading in to a dealer absolutely take everything off, if not your call I would probably take off the easily removable high value stuff like aftermarket seat etc. I'm not sure I would go to the effort of removing the lower work that you did, but that might turn away a lot of potential buyers too...Either way good luck, it pretty much comes down to finding the right buyer. I bought a big walnut furniture "thing" (armoire) at an estate sale because my wife wanted extra place to hang her clothes. Lugged this thing home and she didn't like it. Now I'm stuck with this giant antique that looks nice taking up garage space. Had it on CL for weeks and finally someone is coming from another state to buy it.....Finding the right buyer matters more than anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
I may soon have this dilemma. I'm tossing up whether to sell my XJR1300.

Do I remove everything (some of which took a while to install, e.g., GPS, Oxfords) or just the simple stuff (e.g., top box and mount, panniers and frames) and eBay that separately?

The SW-Motech pannier frames and the topbox mounting are expensive new (read over-priced).

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I sold two bikes last month, depending on your area I suppose, there are so many bikes for sale on Craigslist, Cycle Trader, Auto Trader, etc, it can take a while. A Yamaha XVS1300 that the previous owner had dressed up with all kinds of Kuryakyn chrome, Mustang seat, passing lamps, original and aftermarket exhaust, etc, etc. I didn't pay for all that when I bought it from him, and sure didn't get much more $$ for it all when it sold, BUT, it made the bike stand out from the dozens of others on listings. Same with my 2012 DL650. Givi luggage, heated grips, etc, couple thousand dollars worth, most things on it a rider would want, it draws attention to it, away from naked bikes for not a lot less $. You should get some return on add ons, just not more than 1/3 or 1/2. Definitely more interest. When I shopped for my used DL1000 for instance, I wouldn't look at anything without luggage, it's one of the biggest expenses,and I didn't want to have to purchase them new.
I figured out years ago, selling then buying, then selling bikes loses money every time. But, I sure enjoy having owned and ridden lots of bikes over the years... it's just money, as opposed to a passion, right ?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Most people think of bike in stock trim as more gently used. If its farkled they assume you were a hardcore rider that put the bike through its paces that why you had to add aftermarket stuff.

De-farkling the bike and selling them independently will get you the most ROI but it takes longer and you will deal with packaging and shipping. Its a time commitment.

De-farkling the bike allows you to lower the price on the base bike and move it faster. DL's do not sell like hotcakes so if you truly want it gone you have to price it right and you still may have to wait.

If you decide to sell the farkles seperate form the bike take them off and post the bike exactly how you are going to sell it. So many times sellers will post a bike fully decked out stating farkles will be removed prior to the sale, when this happens I know the seller is too lazy to remove then and negotiate them into the price for pennies on the dollar.

Last year I was in this position I had a 2013 DL650 with 20,000 miles

Sargent seat
Scott oiler
Hand guards
Center stand
HT pannier racks and Pelican 1550's
Crash bars
Madstad brackets and wind screen
+ some other odds and ends

I removed everything and priced the bike at $3,500 dollars because I wanted it gone ASAP. It still took 2 weeks for a buyer to come along. Other were trying to sell the same bike w/ farkles for $4,000 to $4,500 and wondering why they got no calls.

After the bike was sold I offerent the HT racks and Pelicans to the buyer for an additional $500 he agreed. So now I'm at $4,000 for the bike. Then I sold the rest of the farkles on here and ADV Rider for another $1,100 so I ended up getting $5,100 back in total when the guy pricing the farkled bike at $4,000 couldn't get a call.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I sold two bikes last month, depending on your area I suppose, there are so many bikes for sale on Craigslist, Cycle Trader, Auto Trader, etc, it can take a while. A Yamaha XVS1300 that the previous owner had dressed up with all kinds of Kuryakyn chrome, Mustang seat, passing lamps, original and aftermarket exhaust, etc, etc. I didn't pay for all that when I bought it from him, and sure didn't get much more $$ for it all when it sold, BUT, it made the bike stand out from the dozens of others on listings. Same with my 2012 DL650. Givi luggage, heated grips, etc, couple thousand dollars worth, most things on it a rider would want, it draws attention to it, away from naked bikes for not a lot less $. You should get some return on add ons, just not more than 1/3 or 1/2. Definitely more interest. When I shopped for my used DL1000 for instance, I wouldn't look at anything without luggage, it's one of the biggest expenses,and I didn't want to have to purchase them new.
I figured out years ago, selling then buying, then selling bikes loses money every time. But, I sure enjoy having owned and ridden lots of bikes over the years... it's just money, as opposed to a passion, right ?
Yea I agree with this ^ it add-ons can make it seem like a better deal if bikes are similar age, price, mileage and 1/3 price seems about accurate IMO. It should be more, but I don't think most buyers understand how much the extras cost and time installing etc. It's easy to think ya, I'll just buy that stuff later not realizing its hundreds to thousands in "extras"

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Sell fast = low price.

Friend of mine wants a Honda AT. Local dealer has one but won't take his 2009 R1 in trade. They just have too many used bikes.

FYI

·
Registered
545 Posts
about 7 years ago me and my son Jason purchased a Honda Rebel 450 that was in decent stock condition
but not running. Motor would turn over and all the electrical was working- Seemed like a good deal at the time for
$800. We took it home. I started to go through the whole bike looking at what it was going to need.
That list got long very fast. Should have realized a bike made in only 86 and 87 was going to be hard to find parts for.
Well we forged on with the build. The bike turned out nice and it ran good after much work. I told my son "it would
be best if we try to sell it and get something newer". So an ad was posted on Craigslist. $1200 obo. We probably had
about $700 in the bike plus the purchase cost. so $1500 ish. A wound lick. Soon I got a call from a woman over in Tampa
that was head over heels in love with the photo's of the bike on the ad. She said she had to have it. (75 mile trip one way)
So I told her the price and she got her money and headed over to purchase. When she got to my place she never even rode
the bike. I started it up for her and drove it down the street and back. She said she was just not ready to ride it yet.
Then she hands me $1250 cash and signs the title. They load up and off they go. Never to be seen or heard from again.
She was a Russian Dancer at a club over in Tampa. I kind of wonder how that played out for her.
It's hard to gauge peoples reactions to your ad. But I think it was the photos that sold the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts