StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Since 3 weeks I am the happy owner of a K7 650 ABS and have put 3000+ km's on the odometer since. I love this bike!

The bike had suzuki engine guards on them when I bought the bike, and I want to replace those with the larger SW Motech ones. But, I cannot seem to remove the current engine guards. There is a large bolt and nut that seems to go all the way through the engine block (seems a risc when the bike falls over and force is applied?). The nut is ridiculously tight! And I cannot seem to get it removed.

I tried applying heat (from a lighter) to it, sprayed WD40 on it, but it seems to be rock solid.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks on how to remove those engine guards? I can't find instructions on my local suzuki website, or google.

Kind regards,
Arno

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
AFAIK there are no OEM Suzuki engine guards. What you probably have is a third party product that was sold by the dealer when the bike was new.
A couple of photos will greatly assist people in helping you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, I believe they are originally made by SW Motech, however they are sold (here in Holland at least) by suzuki as an "official" accessory (sorry, the page is in dutch, but the images are universal ;-) ):

Accessoires - Suzuki Motoren

The bolts connecting the top of the guard to the frame are easy, but the lower mount point is a very large bolt going all the way to the other side of the bike where it connects the other engine guard. And that is the one that is stuck.

Regards,
Arno

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Are you applying a wrench to the bolt head to hold it in place while using another wrench on the nut? The installer may have applied a thread locker. It may help to heat to the nut side to ease the dis-assembly but a long breaker bar or a length of pipe over the wrench should be enough. You'll need to replace the SW-Motech through bolt with a stock one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi greywolf,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I applied a wrench to both the bolt and the nut (applying force in opposite directions of course) and did apply some heat from a lighter to the nut. But maybe that was not enough heat. I will try using a soldering iron tonight.

I did consider using a piece of pipe on the wrench to apply more power, but was afraid I was doing something wrong and maybe breaking something that way.

Once removed, I was thinking about using the same bolt again, but without the engine guard. Is there anything particular about the stock bolt (which I do not have as this bike was delivered with the engine guards on it when new).

Regards,
Arno

·
38,103 Posts
The stock bolt is significantly shorter than the SW-M bolt. To use the latter, you would have to keep the spacers and possibly add washers to make it work.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Some "taps" with a decent sized hammer on the spanner on the nut end may just break it loose as well. Once you break the connection it should undo fairly easily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, makes sense. I will see if I can order the stock bolt. However, it seems that the bolt goes through the engine block, but is only used to hold the engine guards together. It seems that behind the nut there is a hollow screw/nut or something that connects the engine to the frame? So, I was not entirely sure if a new bolt was needed at all.

·
38,103 Posts
That's an adjuster to provide the proper containment of the engine in the setup stage. The bolt is needed when riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very informative, thank you! I will get a bolt than :) And not yet having a service manual, I would guess that specific tensions are required when fastening the stock bolt? I will probably wait with finishing this once I get the service manual..

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, magnificent! Thanks so much for sharing. There is so much info on this forum I didn't even think such a table would be present here... Will give it a try!

·
38,103 Posts
The table is at VSRI. It's a more technically oriented forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts