StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight... around midnight I tried to drive out my front wheel bearings with a hammer and socket extension like i've done in the past.. well I got one bearing out no problem... the second one refused to move, until I hit it as hard as I could which resulted in the bearing disintegrating. The inner part and the balls came out but the outer race? is still in... do I just have to break down and buy a blind puller now or is there another way to free it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you have access to a welder run a few small beads around the inside of the stuck race and when it cools it will shrink slightly and most likely fall out on its own. :hurray:

Good luck! :thumbup:

Cheers, Wanderlost

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, I think the family arc welder is out on loan... would heating it with a heat gun do anything?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'd use a Dremel disc to cut a kerf in it. It will cut the hub a little but that's okay. You've learned a lesson. "If it won't move, get a bigger hammer ", is rarely a proper practice. Heat the hub if the bearing resists next time.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If there is access (even a small lip) to the inner race from the opposite side of the wheel, use a drift punch (long small diameter punch available at Sears for only a few dollars) and slowly work your way around the race. Maybe 6-8 places around the race with light taps of a hammer. You are trying to NOT cock the race in the bore. Support the wheel as close (without obstructing) to the bearing as possible with blocks of wood so you don't damage the rim. This method will work and if done properly, won't damage or distort anything. Good luck.

·
38,103 Posts
The inner race is gone. The outer race does not extend past the lip. It was stuck well enough to disintegrate the bearing. Welding or cutting will almost certainly be involved unless a very efficient method of heating the hub and cooling the race is used.

·
Registered
99 Posts
bearing race punch set

I've gotten tired enough of using various implements to try to remove/install stubborn bearing races. If you like to work on bikes then I suggest you get a bearing punch set. They're about $50. I've got the one from Sears (Mayhew 4 pc. bearing punch set). Its the proper tool and works great.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
apparently my dad is owed a favor at the machine shop.. headed there now, if that fails i'll get some cut off wheels for the dremel tool

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
was even too stuck to be pulled with a bearing puller with a slide hammer. but running a bead around it with a mig welder heated it up enough to be able to pull it out.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
It isn't the heat of the weld bead that does the magic, it is the cooling contraction that shrinks it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
press

Find a shop with a hydrallic press, takes a second to press the race out. Most decent bike shops will have one. (not dealers) Bearings are properly removed on a press. A puller works fine but a press is better if you have access to both sides, which on a wheel you do.

Bill H.

·
38,103 Posts
1. The bearing is now out.
2. Only the outer race was left after pressure on the inner race blew the bearing apart and the outer race is not proud of the hub.
3. A press used originally probably would have blown the bearing apart too if done cold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts