StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 650 and dropped it 2 weeks ago on a scabby gravel road while turning around (double camber and incompetence).
Having picked up the bike before on tarmac I know the logistics, so I backed up, grabbed the left seat handle and the handlebar grip and couldn't get it more than 2 feet off the ground. It then dawned on me, since the bike's saddle was laying downhill, I was trying to pick up close to the full 450 pound weight, rather than a fraction of it. I considered powering it around on it's side, before common sense kicked in and I got help from a local resident, (fortunately before a logging truck appeared round the bend at 50+mph). Safely on my way..........to town to buy the inevitable replacement turn indicator.
Here's the question..........if I had been a few more miles down the track, it's all forest and there wouldn't have been any houses, so how do you pick it up when it's laying downhill?
PS My separated ribs are now just a dull ache and only hurt when I laugh.

·
Registered
485 Posts
"How to pick up a bike? " You could start by buying it a drink...
But when it is tits up, drag it around until the wheels are downhill. Remove any weight you can to make it easier. Some people have carried rope and a couple of pulleys to rig a tackle but you need something to tie to and chances are they would be in the pannier on the bottom anyway!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Janice is already spoken for.

Oh wait...you said bike...:confused:

To answer your question, in addition to that mentioned above, things will be made a lot easier if you carry a strap of velcro or something else to lock the front brake. Then the bike won't try to roll away while you're popping out both gonads lifting it up. And of course, lift with your legs, not your back!

Glad to hear that you're on the mend, but the ribs must hurt like hell.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Make sure it's in gear, so it won't roll. I take off my helmet and go for it right away, so I have the benefit of adrenalin.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
i find it easy

i find it easy after years of rideing 300+ lb 5 and 600 cc thumpers . get close to the bike and left with your legs . when you get to the hard bit push like you were trying to push it over . then stop at the right moment when its up right . when i was young and weighed 120 lbs i got stuck under my yamaha xt 550 and was lucky some kids walked by and helped me out from under it

·
Registered
988 Posts
All good stuff. If it's on the right side, put the kickstand down, so you won't have to figure out how to keep it from falling while you work your way around to the other side.

·
Registered
268 Posts
lock the front brake,using the handlebars as a lever with the wheel turned away.Hold the end of the bars and lift. hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, guys; just to clarify, the bike was on it's left side and in gear. No panniers, but did have Givi bars. The wheels were up the hill maybe a foot higher than the saddle, the camber was towards the drop-off (at least 15 feet away, phew) and the tank was 3/4 full .........I weigh 165.
I think I needed to be carrying a come-along to get that thing back on it's feet.

Hey Yak, Quote: "How to pick up a bike? " You could start by buying it a drink...

This is a VStrom we're talking about, it'd have to buy me a drink.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
The main message here is to put your butt against the bike, get a good grip and lift. Facing the bike and trying to lift it can get one injured.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The main message here is to put your butt against the bike, get a good grip and lift. Facing the bike and trying to lift it can get one injured.
Precisely... I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the average 165lb male can squat close to 400 lbs using just their legs (more if they're in a 'shape' other than round... ;) ), and that's what makes it easier to lift the bike back-to instead of front-to.

Despite having the wheels up-hill, there wasn't much more weight on the lower side than there would be if it fell on flat ground. Contrary to popular belief, the weight is almost the same whether the wheels are uphill or downhill. The only difference is some additional portion of the weight of the fuel that's sloshed to the top of the tank.... But that could only be a max increase of maybe 15 lbs on a bad day.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Check out the vid on U tube @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

I would also remove the stuff that is easily removed (tankbag, bungie load on rear, high side pannier, top box, etc.) The side stand on a Strom is not as forgiving as the one on the illustrated bike, so I would be more cautious about letting the bike lean down onto it, while holding it from the right side. If you don't think the stand will hold I think the best solution, instead of trying to work your way around the bike, is to simply swing a leg over it. At the start of the lift, if I was on a loose surface, I would be digging in where my heels would be planted, to give better grip.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips and especially the UTUBE HB.
Realised what I did wrong,
i) the back passenger handle was dug in and I didn't clean out the whole area
ii) the bike wasn't 'straight' across the road, but angled with the back downhill both across and down.

I can squat only 300 at the gymn before my knees start to creak and the ole arthritic joints scream, which did allow me to previously pick it the bike relatively easily on a flat hard surface, but add in the steep slope of the hill, the camber across the hill and scrabbly surface, no way. need more :lift

The good news....$52 bucks and all's good. Next time it's the Buell turn signal solution for sure and I'm gonna try mating the new stalk to the broken-off Suzuki bases for a clean install.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When you say squat 400 lbs, do you mean a leg press...? I can leg press 600lbs, but I can only squat about 250 lbs max, and that would be like 1 or 2 squats. This seems similar to a leg press since you will be leaning against the bike for support. I seriously doubt the average 165lb man can squat 400lbs... and if you can, you got some beastly mofos around where you live haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe I'm just big but I've picked up my bike alone before by just bending down and lifting it up. Didn't put my back towards it or hold brake. Then again, I am 6'8 and 240lbs.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Maybe I'm just big but I've picked up my bike alone before by just bending down and lifting it up. Didn't put my back towards it or hold brake. Then again, I am 6'8 and 240lbs.
This thread is not for people who can carry their bike around under their arm LOL!:rolleyes: Seriously though, a fella about your size picked up my Gold Wing by the handle bars, like you would with a bicycle. I could never trust those bars after that!

·
Registered
453 Posts
If your wheels are higher that your handle bars, unscrew the mirrors & flip it over by lifting the rear tire. Leave it in 1st gear.
Then go buy some knobbies & start having some real fun w/ your V.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you say squat 400 lbs, do you mean a leg press...? I can leg press 600lbs, but I can only squat about 250 lbs max, and that would be like 1 or 2 squats. This seems similar to a leg press since you will be leaning against the bike for support. I seriously doubt the average 165lb man can squat 400lbs... and if you can, you got some beastly mofos around where you live haha.
You're right, of course, leg press 300. The rest don't mean squat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts