StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice info page, I too installed the trackside grips look nice great feel clean install but no heat on the left and just lukewarm on the right. Cycle gear was great, as always, sent me out another set with return prepaid for the dysfunctional set. Hooked up replacements doing the whole install and while both worked this time and just a bit warmer still inadequate, can not feel the heat through summer leather gloves, had to return both. Waiting to see if they credit my account but these grips just do not get hot I suppose they would be ok with my kevlar knit gloves above fifty but I do not need heat then, when its 32F outside I need HEAT and want to turn it down. I checked the voltage it was 13.6 so juice was not the issue. I think they either have a really bad batch or skimped on what I guess was the nichrome wire used to heat the grips, too bad, I really like the big knob for adjustment no need to look, just by touch dial it up. Its just all the way up its still friggin cold.

PS I let them heat up first go round for a forty minute ride second set rpm at 2500 for 20 minutes and still tepid. I have a friend with the symtecs and they literally hurt on high with less warm up time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Yeah I haven't had a really cold day yet but I've liked my batch so far. I've had morning rides around 40degrees and just using my summer leather gloves have had toasty sweaty hands.
You may want to insulate the left grip from the bare metal tube as that can act like a huge heat sink, especially if you are installing the film instead of the molded grips.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It was the trackside deluxe kit, replaced with the oxford heaterz, did everything on the install the same. The heaterz get hot the trackside do not. In every other respect I preferred the trackside grips, they felt a little bigger, the feel of the grip was grippier (I know its not a word but it should be), the control easier to use clockwise higher counterclockwise lower, one knob is easy to feel(no need to look) unlike the up and down buttons on the heaterz which you can not feel through the gloves, I liked everything about the trackside except they did not perform at their primary function. If a car looks great, nice seating, sweet sound system, and all the other whistles and bells you can think of but it does go over 10 mph it is in my book a piece of crap.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I had the same experience with the Trackside grips. Absolutely USELESS garbage. When i brought them back to Cycle Gear and told them how crappy the grips were, the guy just nodded and said, "I know." At least they didn't hard time me about bringing them back. I'm gonna go with the Oxfords next.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It was the trackside deluxe kit, replaced with the oxford heaterz, did everything on the install the same. The heaterz get hot the trackside do not. In every other respect I preferred the trackside grips, they felt a little bigger, the feel of the grip was grippier (I know its not a word but it should be), the control easier to use clockwise higher counterclockwise lower, one knob is easy to feel(no need to look) unlike the up and down buttons on the heaterz which you can not feel through the gloves, I liked everything about the trackside except they did not perform at their primary function. If a car looks great, nice seating, sweet sound system, and all the other whistles and bells you can think of but it does go over 10 mph it is in my book a piece of crap.
So Moc,

Since you returned the Trackside grips you probably don't know, but I wonder what would happen if you used the controller from the tracksides with the Oxfords? It seems from the Oxford site that the grips look similar. Are the connections the same? I've probably had my Tracksides too long to return them to Cycle Gear, but I have to agree that they only get tepid. But hey, it's been 80 degrees for the last week so it hasn't really been a problem. :cool:

Bob

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
how many amps do these grips pull??.I have a pair of 55 watt lights I use and I was wondering if I could still use them and the grips at the same time??.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
What year and model bike?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I guess I must be the only one out that gets heat from the trackside set up. I do not have any other brand to compare it too so I don't know if it’s hotter or cooler than the other brands. I rode into work yesterday and the temp was 30 Deg. I could feel the heat through my ski style gloves and fingers were ok. On the ride home last night it was around 50 deg and I had on my thin gloves. The heat was fine too and I actually had to turn it down towards the middle to hit the right spot. I do notice the left side is a little cooler than the right which I would guess is from the contact with the metal bar?

The big thing I like about the set up is the thermostat controller. It's easy to adjust with thick or thin gloves on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts