StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several electrical leads on top of my battery. I took it out to charge it but when I go to re-install it the nut drops to the bottom and then I can't easily re-connect. For anyone else with that problem I just looked around for some nice plastic wire ties and it made it tons easier to put the battery posts back on the bike. Make sure you have smooth side up and don't completely tighten the connection down to make the wire ties easy to remove.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I just stuffed a bit of folded cardboard under each nut to raise it a little. It's easily crushed by the bolt if it extends down that far.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
p.s. The unfused crimp or tap connection on the positive side would make me very uncomfortable. 10 or 12ga straight to a fuse first, then any other connections downstream.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
p.s. The unfused crimp or tap connection on the positive side would make me very uncomfortable. 10 or 12ga straight to a fuse first, then any other connections downstream.
It actually tucks in beside the battery attaching that tiny red lead below it in the picture. That run is fused and switched, but thanks for noticing

·
Registered
543 Posts
clovett...good tip :thumbup:

I just ran into this situation a few weeks ago when installing the MOSFET r/r. Too many lugs on the terminals and the screw wouldn't catch the nut threads. Wound up using a pick tool to maneuver the nut in place.

Your method is much simpler! Next time I pop off the terminals I'll make sure to shim it as shown.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Use longer screws.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I get rid of the clutter by bending a small zip tie in a "V" and sticking it under the nut, then cutting off the excess. It acts like a spring to hold the nut in position to catch the bolt.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use longer screws.
That might be a problem. When you tighten down the screws you can't remove the wire ties as the bottom of the screw connects with the wire tie and presses it against the battery. I believe a longer screw might get you a nice hole in your battery.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
I've used bits of old bicycle innertube as a spacer under each battery terminal nutt. Just kinda stays in place forever!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts