StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many months ago I began a thread on how acetone in gasoline affected mileage. The result was that there was no statistical gain in mileage when using acetone in the fuel. Some V-Strom members found it well documented and valid while some others (Sitting Duck) believed it was a big waste of bandwidth on the site and proved nothing.

Well, I’m Baaaaaaack !!!! But, today’s investigation will be mixing an additive called Lucas Fuel Treatment (LFT) with gasoline. First, I must declare that I do not work for this company, nor do I have stock in it, nor do I have relatives working for LFT nor, unfortunately, have they paid me $10,000 to do this report.

LFT is sold in most auto parts stores and Wal-Mart in western Pennsylvania. Long ago I recall a V-Strom member saying that dumping oil in his gasoline tank increased mileage. Another member stated that if you are going to dump oil in your tank, make sure it is a combustible type such a 2-cycle motor oil. However, I was chicken to dump a bunch of oil in my tank. I envisioned clogging all injectors and spark plugs with an oily, carbonized crust which would cost $1,000 to remove.

LTF appears to be a very low viscosity oil probably with some other minor chemicals added. Directions say to add 3 ounces to every 10 gallons of fuel. Since I normally put in about 11 gallons to fill the tank, I decided just to use 3 ounces per fill-up no matter how many gallons I needed.

So here are the test conditions. Four months ago I obtained a job as a security officer at a local aerospace facility. Hey, I get to carry a gun and shoot people !! As such, I now drive my 2001 Ford Focus exclusively to and from my house and the facility - - 14 miles each way. My route is approximately 60% highway, 35% paved, curvy back roads & 5% traffic in a small town. For 4 months I have traveled this route at about the same speed and same time of day. The temperature varied from a typical high of 45°F(7°C) to a low of 25°(-4°C).

To minimize errors, I obtained my gasoline from the same Turkey Hill gasoline station, used the same pump and oriented my car in the same direction (the pumps are located on tarmac with a slight downhill angle).

When I filled the car, I would wait for the nozzle’s auto-cutoff to activate and then I would give it 2 more squirts of fuel. The additional 2 squirts amounted to slightly < 1 quart (< 1 liter). Therefore, I reckon that my error in filling the tank is < 1 pint (< 250cc). One pint of gasoline will take my car about 4 miles.

So, here we go. Without any treatment chemicals, my car went 354 miles (11.05 gallons) = 32.0 miles/ gallon {13.6 km/liter} and 341 miles (10.44 gallons) = 32.6 miles/gallon {13.9 km/liter}. Now with LFT, I managed 379 miles (11.15 gallons) = 34 miles/gallon {14.5 km/liter} & 369 (10.65) = 34.65{14.7 km/liter} miles/gallon.

Now, the last tank of gasoline I did without LFT and the result was 363 miles (11.2 gallons) = 32.4 miles/gallon {13.8 km/liter}.

So, yes the additive did, indeed, increase mileage. However, at $8/bottle which treats 100 gallons and adds 8¢ to each gallon, is it worth it ???? And, could I have used plain, old 2-cycle oil and obtained similar results ????? I do not know but there is an intangible benefit here. Why did the engine operate more efficiently ???? Is it because the additive decreased the coefficient of friction between the rings & piston walls ??? If so, I would guess that this would prolong the life of the engine.

I do not know the answers to the above question for I am not a mechanic - - I am just an old, retired chemical engineer - - that carries a gun and is allowed to shoot people. Anybody want to argue with my results ????

·
Registered
15,407 Posts
Put down the gun and step away from the vessel of oil. Marvel Mystery Oil. The only thing to trust because it's a mystery.
That and I have a bridge for sale.

·
Premium Member
2,980 Posts
I like it Valentine.......keep us up to date with more of your tests. :hurray:
I should perform the same test with my PU truck......I drive 32 miles to work, one way.......fairly constant for 25 of those miles. Hmmmm.......

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Before Earth Prayer Advocates EPA

Almost all gas had top end oil in it. Though good for the engine and mileage it of course left unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust. Also many high film strength lubricants are high in metals also bad for catalytic converters

Oil in gas

Reduces piston/ring friction
Builds up a little and improves ring and valve sealing for less blow by and improved valve guide lubrication.

Where as on an I4 I usually experienced a 5 to 7% increase it has less/no effect on the Strom.

Remember the EPA hates personal transportation and wouldn't care if their antics reduce mileage

·
Registered
875 Posts
There are so many variables affecting mileage that your test means nothing. Manufacturers are required to use a driving simulation rather than road testing to determine EPA mileage estimates for this very reason.

·
Registered
44 Posts
my inexact experience with my Vstrom, is that the tank that has been treated with the stabilizer always has a few more mpg's than the following tanks. I'm away from home for long spells, so the bike sits for extended periods, and I only treat just b4 I leave.

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
There are so many variables affecting mileage that your test means nothing. Manufacturers are required to use a driving simulation rather than road testing to determine EPA mileage estimates for this very reason.
THIS!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Put down the gun and step away from the vessel of oil. Marvel Mystery Oil. The only thing to trust because it's a mystery.
That and I have a bridge for sale.
Don't knock Marvel I used it in a 1979 Triumph a few times a year.
I bought that Triumph new and it has 136000 miles on it and still going.
It did need some work but I do not know of another one withthat many miles on it.:thumbup:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Oh no. We're back at this again.
Didn't you learn anything the first time around?

Please don't single me out; I'm not the only one that critiqued your study.

Put your focus on a dyno at fixed rpm for a few hours and measure the weight of the consumed fuel. Then we can talk.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
So many variables to take into account . . . and so difficult to allow for them.

Probably the biggest variable factor is your own psychology ~ are you, at a subconscious level, hoping for [or against] an improved result from the additive? This would, oh so easily, exert a subtle influence on your driving style . . . and have a significant effect on the outcome.

Since you are very interested in doing a "home brew" test, rather than a laboratory test, then why not go ahead with a "blind test" . . . or to be even fancier, a "double blind" test?
The minor difficulty is that you will need to organize to have a trustworthy acquaintance [but not a close friend] put the additive into your fuel tank while you are not observing his actions. Preferably he should pour in the additive (say 3 ounces each time, as you suggest) from a small black container, which, some weeks will contain the additive . . . and some weeks will contain 3 ounces of fuel. (Even better if a third person passes the prepared black container to your helper ~ so the helper doesn't know what's what.)

You keep your records of consumptions, and the second (or third) person keeps his records of what was actually added.
After many miles/months, everyone puts records together . . . and figures it out.
Definitely a bit of a trouble ~ but if you haven't done a blind trial, then you really cannot look critics in the eye.
Good luck !

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
First of all no ones recommending adding 4 oz of concentrated Nitric Acid in your tank so you can make Nitro.

Like I previously stated for the big twin Strom the effect is not as dramatic but more in a buzzy I4 you will notice a definite smoothness develop over 30+ miles.

Boy, hot metal sliding past each other at high speeds, oil could not possibly be useful in that situation.

Gee a coating of oil on metal surfaces couldn't have any use

Lastly Oil is denser and if combusted has more energy per unit volume than modern Eco Gas

Figures don't lie but liars figure

All an additive would have to do is increase atomization, or decrease deposits or raise anti-knock properties and you would see the benefits. Shell gas touts their additives.

I did some large scale industrial electro plating. A few companies and the great historical study was:

A nickel plating house the night shift guys plating was always much shinier then the day shift. He was studied and observed and procedures and times were normalized and yet the performance difference remained. Finally they swapped operator shifts and the better plating moved with the operator.

Well guess what, The night shift guy chewed tobacco and spit in the tank. That 4 to 6 oz of tobacco spit in a 10,000 gal plating tank made dramatic difference in the quality of plating... An industry was born

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
better mpg = prolong engine life

Lucas Fuel Treatment (LFT) with gasoline.... is it worth it ???? And, could I have used plain, old 2-cycle oil and obtained similar results ????? Why did the engine operate more efficiently ???? Is it because the additive decreased the coefficient of friction between the rings & piston walls ??? If so, I would guess that this would prolong the life of the engine.
i get similar results using sta-bil ethonal treament. yeah, its worth it. as far as 2cycle oil is concerned, you'll have to do your own compar-o and let us know your results. LFT probably does decrease friction but i dont think that would be enough to gain 2 mpg. possible raised the AKI of your fuel, which could lead to better mpg, specially if youre using 87 octane in a high performance engine. i agree, fuel additive that increase mpg will probably help prolong engine life.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
To minimize errors,[snip]
So, here we go. Without any treatment chemicals, my car went 354 miles (11.05 gallons) = 32.0 miles/ gallon {13.6 km/liter} and 341 miles (10.44 gallons) = 32.6 miles/gallon {13.9 km/liter}. Now with LFT, I managed 379 miles (11.15 gallons) = 34 miles/gallon {14.5 km/liter} & 369 (10.65) = 34.65{14.7 km/liter} miles/gallon.

Now, the last tank of gasoline I did without LFT and the result was 363 miles (11.2 gallons) = 32.4 miles/gallon {13.8 km/liter}.

[snip]
Anybody want to argue with my results ????

one tank of fuel, one driver/ one vehicle is not enuf to establish stastistical accuracy

How many miles/tanks did you drive to establish a baseline ?

all I see are meaningless numbers without substantial evendence to back the numbers up

I've seen changes of 5mpg difference from one tank to the next with no known changes variables

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
There are so many variables affecting both actual and calculated mileage (average speed, traffic, temperature, wind, mental state of rider, slope of ground when filling tank, accuracy of gas pump...etc.) that there is simply no way to know whether or not the additive has any effect. Especially when the tester knows which tanks have the stuff added.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The biggest thing I have noticed that effects MPG is the windshield. In the winter I run a stock shield with the touting laminar lip. In the summer I remove the shield all together and have fabricated black piece of plastic to cover the mounting holes to look a little better and prevent bug gut load-up. In the summer I average about 60 MPG and in the winter lower 50's. I don't let the bike warm-up and such so don't think that makes a difference. I was riding yesterday in a decent wind and felt like the wind was holding me back a LOT. I slowly unscrewed the madstadt and laid the shield back all the way and it made a big difference. Those big ole planks some of you call windshields you would be surprised how much of an effect they have! The alcohol gas I'm sure contributes some as well but check out your shield as well!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If you want higher MPG, lay off on the right wrist. Works every time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
While reading, I was wondering how you got 11g into the strom. Then it made more sense to me as I kept reading :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have to agree with most of the members here and say too many variables for a convincing test. I have a fuel efficient car that averages 35 mpg, but I can get anywhere from 32 to 38 mpg from tank to tank, traveling to and from work using the same route every time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts