StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is probably an easy one but how do I reduce idle speed. After opening the pipes up it is idling to fast and doesnt sound right.

Heavy, any ideas?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Which bike, 650 or 1000? What year? In any case, your target is too low. Check your manual for the proper idle speed. These are twins, not V-8s. The proper idle speed will have 4 digits.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Idle adjustment speed screw, located under the frame on left side of bike. By the way.......you were at the correct idle speed. :wink: You should be between 1100 and 1300 rpm, pretty much for either Strom model. This aint no Harley twin that idles at 600 rpm.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grey Wolf, 2005 and it's 996 or 1000 as the brochures like to call it.

Big B the guy with the same year as mine and the color I wanted when I bought the bike but had to settle for dark blue. Black will be the new color of this bike right after the first of the year. I'm gonna change the Vstrom insignia color from silver to KTM orange, I think it will look Sooooo cool.

The deal is I did the 4 holes in the end of each pipe and now with the extra noise, it sounds like its idling to fast. Anybody have the reasoning behind the elevated low idle up at 1200? Brian, where is the idle screw..more detail if ya got it.

Thanks
D-dog

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Dirty Dog said:
Grey Wolf, 2005 and it's 996 or 1000 as the brochures like to call it.

Big B the guy with the same year as mine and the color I wanted when I bought the bike but had to settle for dark blue. Black will be the new color of this bike right after the first of the year. I'm gonna change the Vstrom insignia color from silver to KTM orange, I think it will look Sooooo cool.

The deal is I did the 4 holes in the end of each pipe and now with the extra noise, it sounds like its idling to fast. Anybody have the reasoning behind the elevated low idle up at 1200? Brian, where is the idle screw..more detail if ya got it.

Thanks
D-dog
Yes...BLACK is awesome!!!!! The reason that your rpm's changed, is due to the decrease in back pressure from the hole mod. Your bike is breathing a bit better! :wink: When I take my baffles in and out of my Leo Vince cans, I always have to re-adjust my idle speed.

Go to the left side of your bike and bend down. If you look below the frame rail under your tank, you will see a phillips head screw that is mounted onto a stiff tube. That is your idle speed adjustment...be sure you are fully warmed up before tweaking it. Look in your owners manual, it has a very good pic and description of it.

Fill out your profile a bit more, so we all know where you are from and what ya ride!!! 8)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dirty Dog said:
The idle screw location is in the owner's manual.

The Strom's idle speed is a maintenance spec, like tire pressures or engine timing It varies from engine to engine. Smaller engines generally have higher idle speeds because that's where they run the best - if the idle is too low, they won't run smoothly and may stall. Furthermore, a too-low idle tends to aggravate the off-idle abruptness that many FI bikes tend to have that makes it more difficult to get a smooth power application at corner exit.

All-in-all, I think you'll find it a poor tradeoff to make the idle lower than spec in an attempt to quiet the bike down with your opened up pipes.

- Mark

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Dirty Dog said:
Heavy, any ideas?
Idea? Yup, don't do it.

Set the idle speed that low and you'll be back asking why your bike runs so poorly.

Keep an eye on your other thread, Mortaine may come back and explain why. Of course, he is so advanced, our feeble, little minds won't be able to comprehend, but at least it will be out there for us. :roll:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Harley's

Even Harley's shouldn't idle that low. The oil pump doesn't pump enough volume to protect engine.

Big B said:
Idle adjustment speed screw, located under the frame on left side of bike. By the way.......you were at the correct idle speed. :wink: You should be between 1100 and 1300 rpm, pretty much for either Strom model. This aint no Harley twin that idles at 600 rpm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Harley's

Even Harley's shouldn't idle that low. The oil pump doesn't pump enough volume to protect engine.

Big B said:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Idling a DL1000 below 1,000RPM will cause "stalling" (at least in hot weather) when coming to a stop. Experience taught me that.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts

I know....I gave a slight sarcastic remark!!! They are more like 800 rpm.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Idle speed adj/ MANY turns with little effect.

How many turns does it take to get the speed to change? I have turned that thing 3-5 turns with very little chg, but did get some adjustment of only 50-100rpm change. Why in the world so many turns?
What is the screw attached to other than the hose. Does it go up to the throttle bodies some where? EErrrrrrrr. Does that effect the free play in the throttle?

Idea? Yup, don't do it.

Set the idle speed that low and you'll be back asking why your bike runs so poorly.

Keep an eye on your other thread, Mortaine may come back and explain why. Of course, he is so advanced, our feeble, little minds won't be able to comprehend, but at least it will be out there for us. :roll:

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
How many turns does it take to get the speed to change? I have turned that thing 3-5 turns with very little chg, but did get some adjustment of only 50-100rpm change. Why in the world so many turns?
What is the screw attached to other than the hose. Does it go up to the throttle bodies some where? EErrrrrrrr. Does that effect the free play in the throttle?
What screw are you turning, hopefully the correct one? I just barely turn my idle screw, and it will change the RPM's rather easily.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Your either not turning the right screw, or your screw is out of alignment. On every dl650 I've seen a turn of the screw (middle left side, grey with white) results in a large change.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
We all hope you're mucking with this screw....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts