StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a tutorial on how to remove the grips and place the grip heaters on the bars then reinstall the grips, without damaging the oem grips. I was also hoping somone has done this that has also installed the Vistal universal cruise control. I had one already installed on my last bike, a ST1100, and they worked awesone with the Vista cruise, but I didn't install them.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Scott

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't have any experience with heated grips but I do know compressed air is the way to go if you want to get your OEM grips off. To put them back on just wet the inside of the grip with rubbing alcohol and they'll slide back in place. The alcohol dries up pretty quick so don't dilly dally.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I installed grip heaters on mine, under the OEM grips. Just pry the grip loose in one spot using a long, thin screwdriver. Work it all the way through the grip at that one spot, then start to roll it around the grip, and it will all loosen. I used hair spray for the adhesive to re-install the grips, as it always worked on my bicycles, and they have not come off in 4000 miles. Just make triple sure that you have the correct grip heater on the correct side.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used a coat hanger and made a long rod with a crank bent on the end. Start it in and turn the crank end. It works around the grip loosening. Got this method from a Harley forum. It worked well.
Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
I successfully used the screwdriver method to remove the grips on both our bikes. Reinstalled over Symtec heaters using slow-cure/hi-temp epoxy. They slid right on.

·
Registered
171 Posts
How to: grip removal for heat elements

Ditto for these replies. WARNING. Make damn sure the heating elements are hooked up and working properly before gluing the grips back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts