StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have a 2005 Wee which now has a coolant leak. I assume it is a hose or clamp issue, as the fluid appears to be dripping from the to left of the radiator. My question is, is there a video showing how to take the fairings off in order to access the leak? I haven't done this before and through searching, it sounds as though I have to take the entire bike apart. I appreciate any assistance here.
Thanks!
JP

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Not that difficult but first time is somewhat intimidating.

Here is a video. He has made a number of videos over time for different models and subjects.

For the first time it helps if you take a couple of pieces of cardboard, mark the fastener locations on it and punch holes that will hold the fasteners. That way there is no guessing which one goes where. If I remember right there are at least 3 different screws plus the push rivets.

When you put them back in use a little blue threadlocker so they won't get lost.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blaustrom, Thank you! I'll watch and get to it when i can. Question for you: Is it necessary to take the tank, etc off just to access the hoses connecting to the radiator?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I couldn't get the video to play, so not sure if it explains those push rivets...

Remember to push the center in to get them to release. Then once they are out you can reset them by popping the center back up.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
… Is it necessary to take the tank, etc off just to access the hoses connecting to the radiator?
Can't remember but would not think so, depending on where it's leaking. I would start with a good flashlight and try to see what's going on before removing anything. You may need to crawl on the ground to see it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
A lot of coolant manufacturers today put a bit of UV dye in their coolant. If you've got a UV lamp ("blacklight") then it's really easy to identify the leak, especially in an otherwise dark garage.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
My radiator was leaking from the lower connection. I was taking off the busy work when I realized I could reach the clamp and tighten it without any fussing with the fairing.
Happy hunting.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the Leak!

Hi Guys,
and thank you again for the input. Being new, I get very concerned about my bike (ie-new passion / midlife crisis). I simply laid under the bike with a flashlight and let her idle. After about 3 minutes the leak began. It is very obviously coming from where the hose connects to the top left (riders left) side of the radiator. See attached picture. I haven't tightened it yet, as the sky opened up with a torrential downpour. I'll try to get at it later. The hose looks in good condition. Perhaps the clamp is just a touch loose.
If I can simply tighten her and eliminate the issue, should I be looking to add a bit of fluid? not much was lost, fortunately.
While focussed on this, I might as well learn and do the little things right.
Thanks again!
JP
leak.jpg

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
This type of leak is not unheard of. Just tighten the clamp. Next time you have the tupperware off check all clamps.

Check the coolant reservour if it neds topping up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts