StromTrooper banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
First Post-

I embarrassingly lost the knob, springs, nut and bearings on a long trip after taking apart and fixing the stuck knob. Are they still impossible to get separate from the entire suspension system? If so I guess I'll have a new 3d printer project.
My adjuster knob fell off while driving. I've been looking all over the internet and cannot find one. If anyone knows where to buy one, please let us know!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Nice thread! Thankfully my shock is fine so far.

Looks like some type of hydraulic fluid is what to use and getting the air out could be done at the banjo bolt...:confused:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Without taking it apart, how do I know if I even have any oil? My bike is brand new, leftover 2015 with 0 miles. It does not seem to change the ride. I motorcycle camp so It is important to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, would the process of bleeding the preload adjuster go something like this?

- fill reservoir/adjuster body with hydraulic fluid
- install piston, washers, etc. and close up the reservoir
- crack open the banjo bolt at the top of the shock
- turn the adjuster clockwise until fluid (not air) leaks out from banjo bolt
- Refill reservoir as needed
- tighten banjo bolt

The preload adjuster on my 2006 DL650 wasn't working. Opened it (thanks to Vlad's excellent write up) and found a broken thrust washer.

Marty

·
Registered
60 Posts
Old thread I know :)

Trying to get my 2006 DL1000 to turn and its pretty NOPE!!

Want to use this thread but the pictures are so blurry, is that the norm with photobucket?

Thanx

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Old thread I know :)

Trying to get my 2006 DL1000 to turn and its pretty NOPE!!

Want to use this thread but the pictures are so blurry, is that the norm with photobucket?

Thanx
Easy fix. Disassemble the knob (watch for the tiny spring loaded ball to go sproing). Might be two in there, can't remember.

Clean the grime out, grease and reassemble. You'll never have it seize up again. (At least I haven't in over 10 years.)

Maybe a 30-minute job at a relaxed pace, much longer if you lose a ball.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Great find. I kind of guessed it worked that way. Now I can change the rear shock without dismantlement of the whole rear section of bike. Adjuster assembly doesn't fit between ABS pump, frame and battery box.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This is a great thread, even though it's a bit older. It looks super easy, easy enough I tried to do mine today. However, the black screw that holds the plastic adjuster nob on wouldn't budge, at all. It must be froze up 'cause I stripped the damn thing. Why in the world did they use a Phillips head? Guess it would have been easier if I didn't wait 10 years to loosen it. Oh well, drill it out, screw extractor (if it works), here we go...

41 - 53 of 53 Posts