StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few days ago, I noticed that my stock Suzuki grips are not heating anymore. I installed them when bike was new and they worked for ~2 years but now - nothing...

It is not the fuse, as my blinkers are working.
I checked the connections quick and they are plugged in.

Thinking about what to do next, I realized that I do not really know how to troubleshoot this; I do not really understand how this stuff is wired; are they wired serially? So a break in circuit in one place will take out both grips?

If I was to measure resistence at the connectors, what should I expect to see? Any tips? :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I don't know what the value would be, but expect to see some resistance. If either side shows infinite resistance, both will be dead as they are wired in series.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I can't really teach you how to read a schematic or troubleshoot in a message or two, all I can really say is that voltmeter is your friend. Put one lead on the negative battery terminal and use the positive lead to see where you lose voltage.

I would suspect the controller is the culprit. I had Suzi heated grips on my first DL650, but the details are lost to bad memory blocks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upon closer inspection of it all, turns out that the right heater cable got pinched somewhere (I guess at tight turn) and one of green wires was actually cut.

I thought that this side was borderline too short to begin with; so, a soldering iron, some extra wire and 20 minutes later, all dandy and working again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts