StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My throttle has been sticking and very slowly returning to position. I took it apart and off the bike and discovered that the bar (picture below) is pretty gummy and rough on the section where the throttle tube normally sits. I think this is the culprit.

I have been reading a few posts that mention using the wrong products can make the problem worse by creating their own crud over time. With that in mind, what product should I use to clean the glue-like crap off the bar? Is lubricating it necessary? If so what product should I use? Thanks

before disassembly

after disassembly

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Degrease the bar and sand it smooth. The inside of throttle tube is probably gummed up too. Be careful what you use in the plastic tube. Brake cleaner will eat the plastic. It will clean the bar though.

I don't lube the bar/tube just get it clean and smooth.

I safety wire my grips like you do. I've found that if the wire is too tight on a plastic throttle tube it can distort it and cause it to drag on the bar.

Reactions: Bevan Best

·
Administrator
5,936 Posts
I agree with Spec. Looking at your bar those wear marks are right where your two inner tie wires are fitted. Inspect the inner throttle tube for high spots and re-tie the two inner ties. Frankly, one should be enough. One tie at each end to keep the crud out and one in the middle to hold where you twist.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
If the safety wire is not the issue consider lubing the throttle cables. Use synthetic sewing-machine (Singer brand for example) oil that does not gum up over time. Only a few drops are needed and they make the cables fly.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Why is the safety wire used?
Safety wire is typically used on dirt bikes to ensure that the grips don't move. Not really needed on a street bike unless you're having problems with the grips rotating.

I wire my grips out of habit from dirt bikes. Plus I've got the cool wire spinner pliers sitting in the tool box!

Cables are teflon lined so lube isn't needed. It will attract dirt at some point too.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Clutch cables are Teflon lined but I always thought that the throttle cables are not. My cruise control specifically requires lubing the throttle cables wit synthetic low viscosity oil (= sewingmachine oil). They would not require that if it were counterproductive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I rode dirt track for nearly 20 years in the 60's and quit a year ago. I never saw safety wire on grips in the 60' or 70's. Not saying the pros didn't do it, but I never saw it when I rode a few pro races. When I went back into it in 2004 the bike I bought had the grips wired. Eventually I replaced the grips and then bars and never redid the grips with the wire and used only the bar glue. Never had a problem.

I think the safety wire caused the binding. As one response said, you have no need of wire on the grips for any riding on a dual sport or V Strom or such motorcycle. Best to leave it off after you get everything cleaned up.

·
Administrator
5,936 Posts
Tie wire is indispensable if you ride off road in the rain or mud. Anyone who has had a grip come off in their hand goes looking for a better solution.
I even had problems with grip glue drying too fast, and of course once it is stuck there it stays until you cut it off. After trying different methods my eventual solution was to put black paint from a spraycan in the grip which gave me plenty of time to put the grip on and position it correctly before the paint dried. Then tie wire each end. I never had a grip come loose using this method.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tie wire is indispensable if you ride off road in the rain or mud. Anyone who has had a grip come off in their hand goes looking for a better solution.
I even had problems with grip glue drying too fast, and of course once it is stuck there it stays until you cut it off. After trying different methods my eventual solution was to put black paint from a spraycan in the grip which gave me plenty of time to put the grip on and position it correctly before the paint dried. Then tie wire each end. I never had a grip come loose using this method.
And as stated I never had a problem without the old glue method. However, I know you have very extensive experience, far more than I do, I defer to your advice. Perhaps I was lucky. However, the grips on my DL are of a soft sponge type due to my arthritic hands and I see not way to use the wire without cutting them as they are too soft. I have the MX Scott type on my DR and so far, so good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts