StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty mechanically inclined and all but how in the heck do you tighten down the stock bar clamps under your rox risers (I have 2")? Once you put the rox on, there is very little clearance between the bottom of the riser and the hex bolt on the factory clamp. You just can't fit an allen wrench in there. I had two wrenches, so I even cut one down to about 1/4" but still no love. Anyone have any pointers? I got it tightened down by snugging in the rear bolts first and then sort of forcing the rox to rotate back, then I tightened down the fronts. It worked but it limits how much I can adjust them back as the farther back I rotate them, the less clearance there is:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't have these, but just brainstorming, what if you take the handle bars out of the risers, then tighten through the holes, then add the bars back on?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I don't have these, but just brainstorming, what if you take the handle bars out of the risers, then tighten through the holes, then add the bars back on?
Seems the only way to do it which makes adjustment a bit of a nuisance. I would be interested in how satisfied you are with the Rox risers? Do they give you enough adjustment to make a significant difference?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I use the ball-end Allen wrenches for off-axis application.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also, did you have any issues with any of the lines/cables? I've read that others who've used the 1" up/1" back risers barely had enough slack to make it work with the stock lines/cables. The Rox risers raise the bars higher, so I'm wondering about your install.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Tighten the back one down(closest to tank that you can't get to) first.

Lossen both of them but losen the front one alot. Move your bars forward just enough to get to the back one. Tighten it down as much as you can but still allowing you to move the bars. Then with the back one tightened down as much as you can, move your bars into the position you want the bars in and then tighten the front one.
Since you lossened it more than the front the rear one should have been able to be tightend nearly to the point of that gap is all gone. Then went you tighten the front one.. it closes the gap and thus tightens down the whole assembly(putting pressure on the back bolt) and keeps it all tight.

Been working on mine for thousands of miles now and nothings worked its way loose.

A bit of a pain... but worth the extra adjustments over the 1" up and back risers!!!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Also, did you have any issues with any of the lines/cables? I've read that others who've used the 1" up/1" back risers barely had enough slack to make it work with the stock lines/cables. The Rox risers raise the bars higher, so I'm wondering about your install.
I cut the metal coil holders to fee up slack. Then pull all the slack you can from the wires coming from under the tank. Depending on where you have your risers that is enough. For this position in the pic above.. i doubt that is enough. You may need to get the wire loom extentions from Easter Beaver for more slack.(or extend them yourself of course)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I cut the metal coil holders to fee up slack. Then pull all the slack you can from the wires coming from under the tank. Depending on where you have your risers that is enough. For this position in the pic above.. i doubt that is enough. You may need to get the wire loom extentions from Easter Beaver for more slack.(or extend them yourself of course)
Do you have an ABS bike?

·
Registered
69 Posts
:DI have a 2002 vee and I did mine the way that Gravehunter did his. I did have to make all my electric lines longer and redo the brake lines. I love the riser. Chuck

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I didn't have any trouble with my cables, but just an FYI for anyone that doesn't know: Motion Pro(as i'm sure other mfgs) will make you cables for your bike in extra long lengths if you every need them).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I thought I wanted a set of these but not sure if it's worth the hassle. Anyway, couldn't you use the piece of allen wrench you cut off, OR cut one off just a hair longer, just measure the gap under your bars to see the max length you can get in between, stick that piece in the bolt, and use a box end wrench on it, even better one of the new ratcheting box end wrenches would work better. If you use the ball end type allen wrench don't expect it to torque much, it's not made for tightening on that end and may break! Cheers-BB

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the Powermadd and I used this method.
install riser, tighten rear (closest to rider) to spec.
Rotate risers to desired position, tighten fronts to spec.

It will be a little difficult to rotate the risers/bars but they will move. Snug them up to spec and off you go.

Mine are 2", maybe the 1&1 is too close? Dunno.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tighten the back one down(closest to tank that you can't get to) first......

Been working on mine for thousands of miles now and nothings worked its way loose.

A bit of a pain... but worth the extra adjustments over the 1" up and back risers!!!
Thanks, Gravehunter that's pretty much what I ended up doing so I'm glad to hear it's been working for you for so long. I agree, the now that I've had a chance to adjust them more, they're great.

Other questions/comments:

It's an 09 with ABS.

Yes, I did install a longer top SS brake line (from Blair at SV Racing - excellent service by the way just like I heard it would be).

The remaining cables are pretty much at their limit. I had no trouble with the throttle cables or cluctch cable. The wiring loom coming off each grip assy was tighter than I was happy with at lock so I removed them from the lower cable stays, then cut the little zip tie that was holding them to the bars. I installed a larger zip tie and left it with about an inch or so of space in the loop so although they're not snug to the bars anymore, they're looser at a full turn, they're not flapping in the breeze and they aren't stressed at the connections points.

I went on a short ride but I can already tell it's more comfortable - no more pressure on my wrists and it's going to make riding standing up a LOT better :p.

It does feel different to steer when you first get on it but I'm already getting used to it.

Last, the risers are really well machined and seem to be of excellent quality and they shipped fast. I ordered the cable and the risers on Tuesday and they were both in my mailbox by Friday so I got to play in the garage on Saturday ;) .

Thanks! - Rob

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Glad to hear they feel better. A bit more of a hassle to put on.. but really.. after you get them where you want them... theres not much a reason to move them anymore. Nice to be able to adjust and fiddle with them and try different positions out. No comparisson to the 1"up and back ones. I mean if you don't like them.. you are screwed!

I got them elite ones that allow for 1-1/8 bars or std 7/8's bars. Now no matter what the bike, atv.. whatever.. they will be used on somthing! :cool:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Thanks, Gravehunter that's pretty much what I ended up doing so I'm glad to hear it's been working for you for so long. I agree, the now that I've had a chance to adjust them more, they're great.

Other questions/comments:

It's an 09 with ABS.

Yes, I did install a longer top SS brake line (from Blair at SV Racing - excellent service by the way just like I heard it would be).

The remaining cables are pretty much at their limit. I had no trouble with the throttle cables or cluctch cable. The wiring loom coming off each grip assy was tighter than I was happy with at lock so I removed them from the lower cable stays, then cut the little zip tie that was holding them to the bars. I installed a larger zip tie and left it with about an inch or so of space in the loop so although they're not snug to the bars anymore, they're looser at a full turn, they're not flapping in the breeze and they aren't stressed at the connections points.

I went on a short ride but I can already tell it's more comfortable - no more pressure on my wrists and it's going to make riding standing up a LOT better :p.

It does feel different to steer when you first get on it but I'm already getting used to it.

Last, the risers are really well machined and seem to be of excellent quality and they shipped fast. I ordered the cable and the risers on Tuesday and they were both in my mailbox by Friday so I got to play in the garage on Saturday ;) .

Thanks! - Rob
Yah the wires are at there max. I got a set of extensions from Eastern Beaver and then the next time i serviced my air filter.. i put them on.

Good to know they work on an ABS model. :cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I thought my cables were too short as they caught on the triple tree when I installed my ROX. Ended up just putting a wire tie around the two cable which keeps it from getting caught on the triple tree and now I have enough cable clearance. I'll post a pic in needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts