StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a new study, the average vehicle in the USA is now a record 11.5 years old. Have you had your car or truck for over a decade?

·
Registered
22,198 Posts
Have you had your car or truck for over a decade?
I generally buy vehicles that have 200k or more miles and keep them on average 2-4 years. I replace normal consumables but never do major repairs, I just buy a new to me vehicle. I usually have a spare as backup, in incase my daily driver craps out and I am not under the gun to replace, that way I can take my time and look for a good deal, I generally spend $500-$2000 tops

my current daily driver is a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition, only 160k, everything works, I have a 98 Subaru Legacy in the wings as backup, my last daily driver was an '81 Chevy G30 van paid $1000 drove it 3 years wouldn't pass inspection, drove it to the scrap yard and got $550 for it in scrap

The least expensive to operate vehicles I have ever owned on a cost per mile basis was a pair of 3 series BMWs, and '81 E21(320i) and an 86 E30 (325e), my most expensive vehicles per mile are my motorcycles, high cost of tires makes up any savings in fuel

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
314 Posts
My commuter 02 cavalier, wife's car 00 legacy gt. Our new car is my 09 Taco. LOL. Bought it new and will run it until it's time to sell it to Randyo. LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
9 years old to me 2002 GMC Envoy. 190K currently but bought with 32K miles. Looking for another 10K but looking for a Chevy Colorado for $18k to replace with 40K miles roughly.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
1999 Maxima; 2005 Camry; 2008 Tundra. All purchased in the month of March in their respective years.

Which works out to almost exactly 11.5 year average.

It's good to be normal. The rest of you are deviants, but I won't tell anyone.:grin2:

·
Registered
456 Posts
2002 Toyota Tacoma with 135k miles. Commuting on the bike cuts my cost of truck ownership in about half. That's around $20k in savings. Covers the cost of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
2002 Toyota Tacoma with 135k miles. Commuting on the bike cuts my cost of truck ownership in about half. That's around $20k in savings. Covers the cost of the motorcycle.
I would like to see a calculation which shows that using a motorcycle to supplement or replace 4-wheel vehicle use has any cost savings benefit. The only way to make this work is to estimate gasoline savings alone, which is only a fraction of the total cost comparison. I doubt if any of us will live or ride long enough to realize $20K in savings by using a bike unless gas goes to $20/gal.

Nobody ever saved money by buying a motorcycle, but luckily that's not the purpose.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Think of it this way. If I didn't have the motorcycle, then I would need to purchase a new truck within the next 5 years. With the motorcycle, my current truck will last another 15 years or more.
Well, there is some (wishful?) logic there but how much does 15 years of repairs, insurance, registration, tires, chain, etc. for the motorcycle cost? And remember that after 15 years of use and many miles your motorcycle will need replacing and the old one will have negligible value. As will the ancient truck by that time, so depreciation of both has to be included as well. You can push your expenditure back, but there is an ongoing annual cost to that which must be added to the total cost of truck replacement when the time comes.

I still have not seen a way to parse these figures to show an economic advantage to supplementing 4-wheel vehicle use with a motorcycle. Fortunately that's not why most of us own one. Or two.

(BTW, I'm guilty of this magical thinking, too. I put on my $200 helmet and $250 riding outfit, jump on my registered, fully insured, expensively farkled $4000 bike and ride down to Costco instead of driving, saving probably a whopping $5-6 in gas. AND I FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT!):grin2:

·
Registered
456 Posts
22 year costs with no moto: $100120. 22 year costs with moto and truck: $69370. The biggie is having to purchase a new 30k truck with no moto.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
My oldest vehicle is my Toyota 4x4 X-cab truck. 1990 model, bought it in June 1994 with 52,000 miles on it. Now has 361,000. That's 14 1/2 times around the planet, boys. Still going strong.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Think of it this way. If I didn't have the motorcycle, then I would need to purchase a new truck within the next 5 years. With the motorcycle, my current truck will last another 15 years or more.
Exactly!!! :mod2_excl:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a 2007 Accord EX-L Nav with 182,000 miles on it. The NAV unit took a dump last fall (I think the DVD laser in the trunk unit is shot... too expensive to replace). I just use my Garmin Nuvi if I need NAV now.

My son drives my 2004 CRV EX which now has about 235,000 miles on it.
Other than normal "wear" items (oil, brakes, tires, etc.), only replaced the A/C compressor at 185,000.

Both still going strong.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
1 year old Kia Rondo EX GDi (unknown on US market). The one it replaced few months ago (sold just last month) was 10 years old Acura 1.7 EL. The new one should last for few years now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1995 Toyota 4-Runner 104,000 miles 1994 GMC 4X4 SUBURBAN SLE 68,000 MILES 1994 SAAB 900 101,000 MILES all are rust free GMC never seen snow and this is the first winter for the saab all ways stored in winter.1979 Suzuki GS850 9000 MILES Like new.......

1 - 20 of 54 Posts