StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought mine in December and I've yet to wash it. Did wipe salty/wet mixture off when I put it away in January. I've been through enough sprinkles and rains this spring that I don't feel compelled to wash it. Unthinkable on any of my previous bikes. Must say that I don't miss the chrome.

R

·
0 Posts
Wash the Strom!!!! No way the dirt gives it character. I've had mine for 2 years now and I think that I have washed that many times twice. Both times the only reason I washed it was b/c it had more mud on it than I wanted to sweep out of the basement.

RR

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Whenever I think it needs one?

Usually I wash it every other month or so...depends on what I'm riding through during that time. It doesn't get washed as much during the summer months.

Before doing any type of maintenance I like to give the Strom a bath, just so I don't keep rubbing against month old mud and road grime.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Almost every 2,500 miles.

It's the only way I can find the crankcase drain.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Every time I look at it I have a choice:

1) Wash it
2) Ride it

The one I hardly ever choose. Oh, I wash and wax the painted plastic bits once a year.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, lessee now, I've had it for 2 yrs, I think I've wiped it down with a damp cloth twice. I do de-bug the front end every week or so as well as wiping the wheels off with a dry cloth to remove brake dust. A far cry from the Valkyrie which gets cleaned after almost every ride. That has been going on for 11 years. :yikes:

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
They wash it for me at the dealer when they service it.
So that's once when I bought it in June 08, oncee at teh 1000km service in July 08, and every 6,000kms after that... comes out to about twice a year.

Funny thing this thread, I was thinking I should wash my bike this week...

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
Living in Seattle my bike gets washed often. In from November to March it gets washed almost every ride (rain). In the spring it ususally gets washed mid ride (rain), and in the summers I'll hose it off before I need to do any work on it or after a mostly dirt ride

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
A thorough washing before any wrenching. So, at least every 3.5k miles.

Last Saturday, I spent all day detailing (washing, armor-alling, etc) the Helix in preparation for an oil change that took all of ten minutes. But, the Helix looks really, really nice now. I was also removing (and cleaning) body panels to hook up my Admore lights for my Givi E52.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I wash it so the ladies will drop their panties when they see the sexy spaceman rolling by on the nerdcycle.

hehe....just kidding, I hardly ever wash it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't wash it. I don't like getting water in all those tight little spaces where they are likely to sit for a day or two while drying out (connectors, bearings, etc.). I am not afraid to ride in the rain, in fact I do it quite often, and at speed, once the rain stops, the bike dries extremely quickly due to wind and engine heat.

I do clean several key areas on a regular basis, mostly for longevity of that component / subsystem. Some key examples:

Fork Tubes: I wipe them down at every gas stop to remove bug slime, etc. that may gather.

Windshield: Once a day (when on a trip, that is) I clean it with a wet towel by letting it soak for about 10 - 15 minutes. Same with the lights.

Chain: I clean this about every 600 miles, but not thorough. Just spray it down with WD40 and spin the wheel with a rag wrapped around the chain.

Rear Wheel: Whenever it is off, it gets a good wipe down, inside and out.

Brake Discs: I clean these usually after a ride (or before the next one) with some Simple Green and a garden hose.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
The owner's manual clearly warns against washing a Strom. The metal and plastic reacts to any soap like substance and will begin to deteriorate. It does say rain water, water crossings and mud puddles are fine...even encouraged.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I haven't washed mine yet. I'll let you know.

I do clean stuff once in a while. I like a GRUNGE brush for the chain, put it in 1st at idle on the center stand, spray the chain with WD40...

I use a spray bottle with Hydrogen Peroxide to soften up the bugs. Which reminds me, I ought to do that some day. They are getting pretty thick...

·
Registered
135 Posts
The owner's manual clearly warns against washing a Strom. The metal and plastic reacts to any soap like substance and will begin to deteriorate. It does say rain water, water crossings and mud puddles are fine...even encouraged.
I knew I should have read the manual. I ride year around and always feel guilty during the wet season, not enought to wash it but guilty anyway. Fortunately I have a nice dealer who has washed it for me almost every time it was in. Lets see, I have 21K on it now and next wash should be at 26K.
V-Tour

·
Registered
578 Posts
I give her a birthday bath every year.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts