StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
16,596 Posts
Unfortunately this would be a vast majority who ride that road who think and believe they know how to ride. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Man! That guy had multiple opportunities to die if he had oncoming traffic- lost count how many times he was in the opposing lane....some of which he couldn't see around the curve.

I rode part of the BRP yesterday and met a 2 up sportbike on MY side of the yellow line...as I like to say they were dang lucky I was on my bike and not in my F350!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
He must have been from somewhere that has straight, flat roads. I cringed every curve watching it!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Man.... made me feel good about my limited abilities. You gotta know your skill set and limits

·
Registered
288 Posts
He must have been from somewhere that has straight, flat roads. I cringed every curve watching it!
I think it was the last year of the Asheville Honda Hoot that I rode their 150 mile dual sport event (on my plated XR400), then rode my SV650 the next day on the BRP.
Came up on two older men, both on GoldWings, both had run off on the shoulder and dumped their bikes.
A Ducati rider and I stopped- nobody was hurt, they just needed help righting their bikes...
As soon as we got them stood up they wanted to know how to get out of there by the straightest roads possible- they were headed back to Texas and were done with windy roads:green_lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
The crash starts after 8:50 in the video, to save everyone from having to spend the first 8 minutes cringing like I did just waiting for the inevitable f-up. He clearly fixated and froze up after yet another double-yellow-crossing maneuver on the lee side of a blind curve.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The crash starts after 8:50 in the video, to save everyone from having to spend the first 8 minutes cringing like I did just waiting for the inevitable f-up. He clearly fixated and froze up after yet another double-yellow-crossing maneuver on the lee side of a blind curve.
After about 3 minutes I got frustrated and gave up. I'm glad you mentioned when the crash was so that I could skip to it.
There are idiots out riding like this that I see every day. I think that a motorcycle safety course ought to be mandatory to get your license, and then an advanced course every couple of years as a refresher.

·
Registered
125 Posts
painfully bad riding, for us and him. Some people just don't belong on a road like that, and he was one of them. Maybe this harmless crash will be a wake-up call for him to get better skills or get off the bike.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After about 3 minutes I got frustrated and gave up. I'm glad you mentioned when the crash was so that I could skip to it.
There are idiots out riding like this that I see every day. I think that a motorcycle safety course ought to be mandatory to get your license, and then an advanced course every couple of years as a refresher.
I teach the msf course here, it isn't mandatory but many insurance companies will not insure unless you have experience or the course. I'm against making the course mandatory as you will have students taking it that have no interest learning anything. The are a detriment and interfere with the learning of students who want to be there. I'd rather teach someone with no natural talent. At least they might get it.

Bobagain, some of the people I've seen get their licence are worse. Most places allow you to write a test and hop on ANY bike.

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEC-AanEl5Q

Goes in hot with the wrong line (early apexing), doesn't lean, suffers from target fixation (instead of using it to ones advantage).
Lots of flaws in his riding! Doesn't even look like is going particularity fast leading up to the crash and had ridden (poorly!) on tougher curves previous to the crash.

I suspect there only reason for the crash is target fixation or lack of attention.

..Tom

·
Registered
740 Posts
judgment missing

I had several reactions to that video:

1. Guys like that end up killing other people, usually the innocent.

2. What he lacks most is judgment. Yes, some skill deficiency is obvious. But with his willingness to pass on curves and routinely ignore the double-yellow centerline show him to be somebody who does not use his brain. Maybe learning to use one's brain is a skill, but I doubt it is one which is often acquired by adults.

3. I find myself hoping he and his ilk represent most of the dismaying statistics on death and maiming of motorcyclists.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had several reactions to that video:

1. Guys like that end up killing other people, usually the innocent.

2. What he lacks most is judgment. Yes, some skill deficiency is obvious. But with his willingness to pass on curves and routinely ignore the double-yellow centerline show him to be somebody who does not use his brain. Maybe learning to use one's brain is a skill, but I doubt it is one which is often acquired by adults.

3. I find myself hoping he and his ilk represent most of the dismaying statistics on death and maiming of motorcyclists.

I agree with you, but I think the "dragon hype" is part of the problem. He is just parroting what he sees every sport rider do in every dragon video on youtube. The problem is that the skill just isn't there, and the judgment to realize the situation was not there either.
I'll admit that I've done a similar thing in the past with similar results. That's why my Speed Triple is out of service. I was trying to keep up with guys with more ability on faster motorcycles that had experience with the road we were on. I was less experienced, on a bike that didn't handle as well, on a road I had never ridden before.The last straw that put me down was when I got passed in a turn and it blew my concentration... because I was riding at my 10/10 pace. Stupid hurts. Stupid is expensive. Live and learn, if it's not your time.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Speedy bike, shitty rider, lucky guy.

I don't see that he was suffering from target fixation. I think he spent most of his time looking at the road five feet in front of the bike, instead of looking up the road.

I'm guessing the bike was new to him and he was thinking he could handle it - I make that assumption based on the spotlessly clean, new gear that is otherwise Suzuki branded while riding a Triumph Sprint - either that or the bike was borrowed.

The worst thing about that riding and the resultant crash is that ten minutes of good guidance and instruction and he would have navigated the curves just fine and enjoyed himself.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You could seriously hurt yourself riding a bicycle like that,

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I slightly disagree with Trep. This rider has no knowledge of the right way to take curves. No clue about weight shift, but that isn't the most important thing. Look through the turn. Point your chin at the turn exit to keep the eyes level. Start wide (but safely in your lane always). Slow as you enter. Counter steer to turn, and counter steer harder to turn sharper. At the deepest point into the turn pick your exit line, turn the sharpest 'cuz you're going slowest at this point, accelerate as you exit, set up for the next turn. If you do something wrong understand what caused it, and don't do it again.

·
Registered
740 Posts
disagreeing about zip

I slightly disagree with Trep. This rider has no knowledge of the right way to take curves. No clue about weight shift, but that isn't the most important thing. Look through the turn. Point your chin at the turn exit to keep the eyes level. Start wide (but safely in your lane always). Slow as you enter. Counter steer to turn, and counter steer harder to turn sharper. At the deepest point into the turn pick your exit line, turn the sharpest 'cuz you're going slowest at this point, accelerate as you exit, set up for the next turn. If you do something wrong understand what caused it, and don't do it again.
I hope not to start an argument here, but ...

You've said nothing here with which I disagree. The video star clearly has several things to learn about how to take a curves. If he had only shown such bad technique, I would simply see some learning opportunities. What made him obviously a fool rather than a mere novice was his passing where there was no way to tell whether another vehicle would be appearing in the oncoming traffic lane at a bad time. Passing at speed going around a curve leaves little room for a trajectory change should the necessity for it suddenly appear. The guy's election to pass in such circumstances does not reflect upon his skill but does show very poor judgment.

My point, perhaps poorly made, is that skills can be learned but the tendency to not develop and apply judgment is harder to overcome.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts