StromTrooper banner

How not to park your pride & joy

3473 Views 28 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  v-chops
G'day all!
I've been up in lovely S E Qld for about a week (it really wasn't all that warm). I'd like to thank Pete (One off) for his hospitality for keeping me for a few nights and showing me some really great ride locations. It was also great to meet up with the English couple who had their bike in bits all over the workshop. How you can ever get that back together again without having some bits left over is beyond me. However, seeing Kevin & Karen working together is inspiring.

Well I started my return trip home on Saturday, went through Grafton NSW and headed on out to Armidale. I got approx 50k's from Grafton and meet a semi-trailer on a sharp left hand bend. I honestly thought it could be done. So I just kept going and his trailer just kept coming across the road at me. I less than a foot of bitumen to go before the edge when my right side pannier hit the trailer and sent me over the edge. I high ended over the bars and somersaulted with a cushioned landing into lantana further on down the bank. I don't know how I got out unscathed, but I did! I just had trouble climbing up the bank with the loose gravel.

The truckie stopped, he thought I'd be dead or severely injured. He the poor bastard was more shaken than me. He went up the hill further to get some phone reception and called a tow. Half hour later the towie turned up and that was when the work started. It was bloody difficult getting the bike up the slope. Luckily a good Samaritan stopped and gave us some assistance.

If anything I'm sore today from the muscle strain of righting the bike so it could be winched up the hill. Maybe I should have titled this "The Accidental Grafton Tourist". I went to the police this morning and reported the accident and saw a little of Grafton. Came back to my hotel room and just slept the rest of the day.

I've been trying to post some of the picts, but haven't been successful. I'll try again.

See yers
Rod
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
517 Posts
Glad you came out of it ok mate. Let us know what happens next, is the bike rideable? The pics did not come through.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us for a few days and you're always welcome anytime. K&K send their regards, they have located a second hand flywheel in Melbourne and should have the Guzzi on the road around Wednesday.

Keep in touch,
Pete.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to have a better look at the bike tomorrow. I haven't tried to start it yet. If it starts I'll give it a test run, if all goes well? I'll try and panel beat the right side pannier and brackets, contact the insurance company and then try and ride it home.

Don't know why the photos are not showing up?

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Glad you are ok Rod.

Better off in to the weeds than under the wheels of the trailer.

Hopefully the Strom withstood the fall with as little damage as you did.

Bet you will tell us ATGATT helped. :yesnod:

· Registered
120 Posts
Hard Luck Award Mk11

Hey Rod.
I've got a hard luck award in my shed. (Thanks OneOff) with your name on it............AGAIN.
I'm sure you will have the Strom straightened out in a snap. Take it easy.
Cheers Ian.

· Registered
517 Posts
:biggrinjester: Seems to be a recurring sentiment in this thread.. :yesnod:

I hope you are OK, Rod.
Glad to hear you're Ok.
Glad to hear your ok...
Glad you came out of it ok mate.
Rod,glad you are ok,...
Glad you are ok Rod.

OH, AND WE'RE ALL EXTREMELY GLAD YOU'RE OK.:biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Take it easy dude,
Pete.

· Registered
930 Posts
Well Rod at least you've proved that lantana is useful for something!

Was it one of the logging semis up near Clouds Creek that got you? Those guys give you nothing. I once had a fully loaded one coming at me and I simply rode off (in a controlled fashion for once) into the bush because I knew there wasn't enough room for both of us, and he was just not going to stop! :yikes: And if anything the guys coming back up the mountain with the empty jinker hitched up behind are worse because they're going quicker!

As Cool Dollar says, you seem to be making the Hard Luck award your own. Perhaps the Bingara trophy could be made retrospective!

Nice to hear you're still in one piece. (And sorry it wasn't nice and warm up here for you...remember we're ony a fortnight away from mid-winter! In a couple of weeks it'll be business as usual. :bom_sunny:)

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Pete! Go easy on the well wishers :mrgreen:. As a matter of fact I've thought about sending myself a message saying I'm glad your (I'm:confused:) ok:hurray:

Anyhow I went an had a look at the bike this morning. First thing I did was try and start her up. She didn't want too. The motor sort half turned over, and that was all that happened for three occasions, so I gave her a break. I almost thought the battery was flat. Next job. I took the pannier racks off and straightened them with the use of a hammer and vise. You know what? The brackets haven't fit so well since before I hit the roo on my way over to Coffin Bay:thumbup: What I am disappointed about is another trashed pannier. I had to take to it with a large hammer to get it into some shape that it would fit back onto the mounting. Also what hurts is the fact that I had the Coffin Bay & Urunga Strom meeting stickers on it. Anyone got some of those stickers to spare?
Well next was to try starting her again. And away she went however you should have seen the smoke that was belched out the pipe. I walked up to the Grafton Suzuki dealer and bought a litre of oil. What may have been the earlier problem was the oil was not where its suppose to be, but up the top of the motor. I rode it back to the Suzuki place and they more or less confirmed my my diagnosis, and said that the exhaust system probably had the oil in it. He just said to hop on and go.

So with no more concerns I rode out of Grafton leaving a rather unhealthy looking plum of smoke in my wake. That lasted for about 5k's. I haven't gone far today, Nambuca Heads.

Who was the rapscallion who suggested I get that Hard Luck trophy? The only time I want to see that is when some other poor blighter earns it!

Rod

· Registered
2,275 Posts
Like the rest of 'em Rod, I'm glad you're ok and the bike is a goer, you beauty :thumbup:.
The Strom must be as tough as you.....well nearly

· Registered
534 Posts
Glad your ok Rod, been away with work, and only just saw the thread. The main thing is you, a bike can be replaced!!! :fineprint:

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
G'day Gang!
I'm back home now. According to the odometer I did 699.3k's today. I'll round it off and say 700. Nothing adventurous today. I just got on the bike and headed down the Pacific Hwy. However I called into the bike museum at Nabiac (?)
Anyhow I've proven to you all that I can't spell, last night I stayed at Nambucca Heads.

Not that the photos are of any great quality, I'll try and sort out how to get them up maybe tomorrow.

Many thanks to the well wishers! All the Best,

Rod

· Registered
1,816 Posts
G'day Gang!
I'm back home now. According to the odometer I did 699.3k's today. I'll round it off and say 700. Nothing adventurous today. I just got on the bike and headed down the Pacific Hwy. However I called into the bike museum at Nabiac (?)
Anyhow I've proven to you all that I can't spell, last night I stayed at Nambucca Heads.

Not that the photos are of any great quality, I'll try and sort out how to get them up maybe tomorrow.

Many thanks to the well wishers! All the Best,

Rod
The White Albatross caravan park at Nambaccca heads is one of my favourite spots Rod,short stroll to the RSL and listen to that surf rolling in all night,you sound well mate,well done--enough of the trophy hunting offs for now,Cheers Don.

· Registered
517 Posts
"May you live in interesting times".

An old Chinese saying, not sure if it's a blessing or a curse, but you can't say you've had an uneventful trip this time mate.

And if nothing else, at least it's got you back posting on the forum, :thumbup: keep it up.

Stay in touch,
Pete.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.