StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting down and trying to figure out how much a trip across america with no real set destination in mind for 30 days would cost, figuring you camp out of a tent most nights except maybe once a week stop and get a hotel for a shower or buy a shower ticket at a truck stop.

Anyone done something like this care to share how much they spent for a trek of this sorts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would anticipate the following items, and then start breaking them down one at a time....

Mileage (your gas mileage) and how far you will travel.
Campground fees (roughly $7-$10/ night
Food / day
Entertainment? (a movie, museum etc...)
A couple nights in a hotel to get a better nights sleep...

Then I would get roadside assistance from AAA or some other source, and set aside a couple hundred just in case you blow a tire or need some other mechanical work.

I would think if you went through these one by one, you would be pretty close on your estimate.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm bored...apparently

This figure could be drastically changed if you didn't travel as far, and visited a TON of family and friends for free room and board and a hot meal. But if you go all out and do a coast to coast and back...this is my guess.

Fuel - 300 miles x 22 days = 6600 miles total (coast to coast and back...BIG TRIP!) @ 60 mpg @ 3.00/ gallon
FUEL = 110 gallons = $330
FOOD = $590.00

My guess.....$1845

·
Registered
609 Posts

Seems steep to me but i guess thats why I do my own. I would just pack a spare filter and some oil in my cases. Find an empty field, pull the plug and let the oil absorb into the ground. Insert new filter and oil and your out 30 bucks tops..... Okay, okay, all you tree hugging hippes can flame away. However; just think where the oil originated from.....:green_lol:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm cheep!
$125 fuel (5 day's riding out of 7)
$100 food (cook for my self)
$20 camp fees (6 nights bush camping)
$80 miscellaneous (beer & entertainment)
$300 a week repeat x as long as necessary(4 month trip round oz )
All prices in AUD:thumbup:

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
In 1997 I did 33 states and a couple provinces in 5 weeks. I camped every night, tried to live cheap and averaged about $42 a day. Gas was under $1.50 then.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Fuel - 300 miles x 22 days = 6600 miles total (coast to coast and back...BIG TRIP!) @ 60 mpg @ 3.00/ gallon
FUEL = 110 gallons = $330
This seem a little off to me, I would plan worst case. Only 300 miles a day that's not a lot of miles, especially if you do any slab time. I usually average 500+ miles. Also 60 mpg and $3.00 gas seems overly optimistic. I would figure 50 mpg and $4.00/gallon (again worst case).

So that gives you: 500 mile a day / 50 mpg = 10 gallons per day
10 gallons x $4.00/gallon = $40/day
$40/day x 30 days = $1200

So $1200 total for fuel.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Anyone done something like this care to share how much they spent for a trek of this sorts?
It comes down to you and your travel habits. Most folks find it easier to plan with a per diem cost. The cheapest I can get away with is about $50 a day, but I prefer to travel at around $100 a day.

My advice is to spend a few days on the road and figure your costs based on that.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Thirty days across American and back doesn't leave a lot of time for rest days and poking around interesting places. If you meander at all you will have to cover 6000+ miles and that comes to 200+ miles/day, every day, more or less moving on down the road. That doesn't leave much time for leisurely, multi-day exploration of places like the Black Hills or Yellowstone, places which deserve 3-4 days each. Even the Grand Canyon deserves more than a quick drive-by.

Also, riding every day gets pretty old after a week or so and you will want some slow or rest days; and if you factor in time spent setting up and breaking camp and all that stuff your riding days will be shorter than you may think right now. I imagine you are thinking that you will out of the campground and on the road every day by oh-dark-thirty but it usually doesn't work that way. And the prospect of packing up a wet campsite and starting out soaking wet on rainy mornings may have you procrastinating more than usual.

Why don't you plan the other way: decide how much you have to spend and travel until half that amount is expended. Then turn around. Knock off for a rest day or two when the body tells you to. Take your time and enjoy your surroundings each day instead of being a slave to a fixed timetable or must-reach goal, which can all too soon become a nagging burden.

And go west.:yesnod:

·
Registered
114 Posts
2007 Albuquerque-Alaska-Albuquerque 30 days, wife and I
4 nights with friends, 2 nights in motel, all other nights in tents
We only found 1 campground for $10, all others were about $22-24
2 meals a day breakfast and dinner, we are light eaters
38 mpg average, Goldwing with trailer, high gas prices that year
I kept detailed records
Just under $3000 for total trip

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I was thinking the $7 to $10 camping per night was quite optimistic. There is nothing keeping you from traveling up a forest service road and pitching a tent though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was pondering this just the other day, and came up with a 16 day trip (I was thinking 2 weeks vacation) from NJ to San Diego and back would run a minimum of $2000 in travel expenses if done with only frugality in mind. if you interpolate that to 30 days, with every other day a day of rest/recreation I think $3000 would be a good guesstimate. Add $1000 for bike prep and maintenance and fees for fun, and $4k is a basic trip.

Ordinarily I like to say "pack half the clothes you planned to and twice the cash", so add $1000 on top for a cool $5000 cash on hand for a basic 30 day trip.

Better to come home with extra money than to run short on a trip this big.

This is solo, camping, no camp cooking and staying in a hotel/motel every 3rd or 4th night.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, I am suprised at the numbers being thrown out, haha..

5000+ Dollars for a trip?

Kind of depressing a long trip like that would cost about as much as the bike itself, I might plan a week long trip on a few hundred dollars not accounting for gas and gopher a few hundred dollars hidden away and try to make the trip as frugal and fun as possible..

If I was to camp it would be in national forests most likely, The thing I always loved about camping in national forests is when rednecks do see you chances are they are driving around with a cooler full of beer and stop and drink with you, Been out camping many of times and rednecks pass out mudding in the middle of the night and stop and share a brew.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts