StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never pulled the covers off my Vee before. I've got noise coming from the front cylinder; so, I'm just gonna take a look to see if anything is obvious....check some clearances, etc. At first glance, it looks to be like a pretty easy job at least on the front cylinder.

Anyone give a real quick idea how long a project this might be? I don't want to get into a 1 hour thing that ends up being 3 days. :headbang::headbang: ...just looks like radiator remove and little else if I wanted to really do it on the quick. yes/no?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Your first time I would put it at a 5 hour job start to finish. After that 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It is not that difficult just make sure you follow your manual and when you do the rear cylinder if you check the clearances and if any are out be sure to rotate the engine so that the cams are in the proper place for removal and installation before you take out the cams. It just makes the job easier.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your first time I would put it at a 5 hour job start to finish. After that 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It is not that difficult just make sure you follow your manual and when you do the rear cylinder if you check the clearances and if any are out be sure to rotate the engine so that the cams are in the proper place for removal and installation before you take out the cams. It just makes the job easier.
Thanks. For now, I was only going to look at the front, since that's where the noise is coming from. I have done valves before,just not on this bike. That front cylinder looks easy. Just wondering if there's something that will make it a bigger issue that how it looks.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The rear has easier access.
If you need to change the shims and find someone to swap with, 650 shims don't fit.
You can re-use the rubber valve cover gasket--double check that it went into the groove OK. A dab of RTV silicone gasket sealer on the half-moons helps the seal.
As long as you're in there, what else can be changed...spark plugs, air filter, coolant...if needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts