StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DL650K5 For those that have done yours --Roughly how much time does it take? This will be my first time and holding a tech day but wondering how much should I plan for it - I may delay that actual portion as I'm planning on riding in mid afternoon. I've bought all the equipment, have the hard copy service manual , printed out notes from the maintence section, bought a shim kit, micrometer, feelers, and whatnot. i'm thinking 4 hrs. I've never done this type of service before. Your experiences??

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It will depend on whether you need to install shims or not and how many camshafts have to come out. I would set aside a full day for a first attempt.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It's not terribly difficult. Intimidating? Yes, but the work isn't that difficult.

If I'd had the shims I needed on hand, and if I had applied enough sealant to get the valve cover gaskets to seal, mine would have taken about 6 hours. Because of the afore-mentioned issues, and the fact that I couldn't get the throttle bodies balanced on my homemade manometer (too short to support the HUGE imbalance I had) afterwards while synching the throttle bodies, it took me three days to get the job done and the bike buttoned back up.

The first time is a little intimidating. Subsequent attempts will surely be much better. I'd say 4 hours for just the valve check/adjustment.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
yeah. definitely set aside an entire day if it is your first go at it. There is a lot of dismantling and reinstalling that eats up time rather quickly. I could probably do one in a couple of hours now, but I've also done it about 4 times on various bikes.

@gijoecam
You had to apply sealant to the valve cover gaskets? Why? The only place you would need sealant is the half moons, but they shouldn't come out when you take the cover off. The gasket should stay on the cylinder head. I'm guessing the gasket came off entirely when you removed the cover.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Make sure that you have the correct diameter shims. I had everything I thought I would need including a shim kit and the diameter was too large. I had the ones for the 450 dirt bikes and if I recall correctly it takes the smaller ones like a 250 dirt bike. Where on the Central Coast are you located? I am in the Santa Maria area.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yes, my half-moons came out with the gaskets, which stuck to the vaove cover (the way they're supposed to). I had new ones to replace them anyways. I'll probably re-use them the next time since it appears that the old gasket sealant stuck to the head, not to the gasket. But I wanted to have all my bases covered this time (as best I could anyways...)

And the shims you need are 9.44mm diameter. (There's another wasted brain cell on that useless tidbit...)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
...And the shims you need are 9.44mm diameter. (There's another wasted brain cell on that useless tidbit...)
Reprogram that braincell. The correct size for the DL650 is the 7.48mm diameter shim.

SHIM KIT

9.48mm is the DL1000

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Reprogram that braincell. The correct size for the DL650 is the 7.48mm diameter shim.

SHIM KIT

9.48mm is the DL1000
Nope. Now I just wasted another brain cell on the wee's shim size... Drat!!

I missed that we were talking about a wee... Not sure how as it's right in the opening line...

S

·
0 Posts
It took me longer to strip off all the plastics, tank, radiator (I couldn't fit my hands in with it just rotated), etc. than to do the actual job.

The actual job is 4 bolts to remove the covers and a little work with a feeler gauge. If something's out of spec, then obviously it's a little more involved. Add a strong magnet to your tool list for the job, too. It will make it very easy to pull the buckets and shims out if you need to.

The time is getting it to the point where you can do that, and then putting it all back together. If you've done a lot of your own wrenching and can strip everything down quickly, and if everything is in spec, I think 4 hours is a reasonable estimate.
If you've never had your tank and plastics off, and if you need to pull camshafts, a day might be pushing it.

DISCLAIMER: I did mine, but I ride a Vee. I don't know if there are significant differences between the two (besides the chain vs. gear-driven camshafts). It was the first time I stripped my bike down, and it took a full day +.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I 'm probably going to postpone the valve check to another weekend when I won't feel rushed to complete given the valuable input here. I got the shim kit from Cyclebuy.com. Kit # HC-7150175. HC-7150175 Includes 5 of each size 1.50, 1.55, 1.60, 1.65, 1.70, 1.75 mm shims it was $45 shipped.

This kit was one someone had gotten for his and seems to work for the typical ranges for adjustments, though perhaps a few odd cases may exist.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/27756-dl650-valve-adjustment-notes-tips.html

S

·
0 Posts
FWIW, I planned on buying a shim kit, but instead followed advice I'd received here about dealers swapping them out for free.

Went to the service dept at my local dealer, who knew nothing about it/ never heard of it/ "sorry, we don't do that."
Went to the parts dept: First guy - same story.
A second parts guy happened to be walking past and said, "shims for WHAT?" When I said "valve shims" they both looked at me like I had three heads. I whipped out my old shims and put them on the counter, and said, "These!"

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Yeah, here you go," first guy says, and pulls out a well-stocked shim kit with new and used/ traded shims in it. I can't remember what they called them, but they called them something other than "shims" ("spacers," maybe).
Anyway, I traded them my old ones for exactly what I needed, for free - and earned all kinds of "man cred" for doing my own valves and looking like I knew WTF I was talking about.

Moral: try the dealer. If it doesn't work, try harder.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Have you shim kit guys asked your local shop about shims? My local suzuki dealer will happily trade me shims if I bring in the offending ones.

Edit To Add: Call me mr. repeater.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Have you shim kit guys asked your local shop about shims? My local suzuki dealer will happily trade me shims if I bring in the offending ones.

Edit To Add: Call me mr. repeater.
Yup, but the dealer I go to is at least a half hour ride in the car. Plus I trade shims with other local stromtroopers if they need them when we check their valves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts