Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mostly off road

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not asking how much you plan on doing in the future. How much on-road/ off-road have you already done on your Strom.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There was supposed to be one more option in the poll. "Mostly off Road" I dont know why it didnt get on there. Maybe too many options. Oh well just pick the 50% option if you do 50% or more off road.

·
Registered
131 Posts
With my limited past experience with dirt riding, I just kind of plod along off road, but am enjoying seeing some areas I wouldn't see otherwise. Find hard pack trails and dirt roads easier than soft sand with the trailwings.

·
Forum Admin
11,174 Posts
Ben1050 said:
There was supposed to be one more option in the poll. "Mostly off Road" I dont know why it didnt get on there. Maybe too many options. Oh well just pick the 50% option if you do 50% or more off road.
I added it for you. :D

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
None so far. The Wee sucks for me at low speeds. I dont even want to add bad roads WITH slow speed riding! When my OEM tires run low, im buying pure road tires. Its nice to know it has that capability, but I will buy a Jeep for off-roading thanks ;)

·
Registered
961 Posts
gibbage said:
None so far. The Wee sucks for me at low speeds. I dont even want to add bad roads WITH slow speed riding! When my OEM tires run low, im buying pure road tires. Its nice to know it has that capability, but I will buy a Jeep for off-roading thanks ;)
I've got a jeep the v-strom is a lot more fun off road, and handles low speed just fine, don't put it down till you try it. A little off road experiance will make you a better street rider. Try it you may like it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I travel some dirt roads and a few less than dirt roads. The V does OK, if I do not try to ride it like my DRZ400S.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A couple here have complained of the Srom's low speed capability.

Here in NSW Australia all our rider training is done at low to very low speed, and I have ridden a few bikes in very low speed situations. The Strom is fine barely crawling along and balances well almost stopped. It ain't no trial or motor cross but for a big dual it is capable.

Mine was only two weeks old when I first went off road through the Murramarang National Park fire trails.

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/parks.nsf/ParkContent/N0025?OpenDocument&ParkKey=N0025&Type=Xo
http://www.southcoast.com.au/shvnparks/index.html

It had rained heavily two days earlier and the tracks were still slippery (lots of red clay) and there was still much free standing water. Long story short, I deflated the tyres (had a mini-pump and came out of the forest near a garage) and at first took it easy, gradually getting bolder as I got the feel of the Strom. In the end I left a Rangers 4x4 pickup and two other 4x4's for dead. As I said no trial or motor cross but damn its capable and fun.

Btw everyone thought I was crazy for taking a brand new bike under warranty off road like that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If I had wanted to ride all pavement I would not have bought the Strom. This is the most versatile bike I have ever had. I can ride in town, I can tour and I can ride the asphalt as far as needed to get to the dirt and gravel roads that can take me where no cruiser of pure tourer can go. What more could I want?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I picked 90/10, though it's actually more like 2% dirt. Most of my miles are commuting, I just can't get away to do recreational riding very often.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
It takes SKILL to go very slow on any machine not just the Strom 8) I can come to a complete legal stop on my Strom and my feet don't touch the ground. It has teriffic low speed manners as far as I'm concerned. BTW I also found the "chopperesque" Intruder to be pretty decent at slow speed control too, where most people find them to be very "floppy" due to the rake of the front end

boomslanger said:
A couple here have complained of the Srom's low speed capability.

Here in NSW Australia all our rider training is done at low to very low speed, and I have ridden a few bikes in very low speed situations. The Strom is fine barely crawling along and balances well almost stopped. It ain't no trial or motor cross but for a big dual it is capable.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Although I chose 90/10, I will say the off-road stuff I've done has been pretty gnarley.

If you live out West or head towards Badlands National Park, make sure you stay off of Route 2 in southern Badlands - it's labled as a gravel road but it's more like a sand road with pee-gravel on top of it. 23 miles of that will make you pray for pavement!

Cheers.

Tige

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think I am probably in the 70%-30% and maybe even the 60%-40%.

There are a lot of gravel roads in VT and they are fun to ride.

·
Registered
199 Posts
which bike?

my XR 650 is about 95% off raod. the DL1000 is about 5%... really the DL sucks off road... No comparsion to a bike thats actually BUILT for off roading such as the XRs. the DL was built to LOOK like it can go off road..

·
Registered
104 Posts
None. My Strom is my street/touring bike and my XR400 is my dual sport/dirt bike.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Up until last May I had done very little off road riding.

That all changed when a few of my friends and myself rode 500 miles (more or less) off road in New Mexico & Colorado on the southern Continental Divide.

That trip taught me a whole new respect for sand! :shock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts