StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

just a question to other wee users, how much mechanical noise do you get from the engine? Mine runs well, doesn't use any oil, starts easily and revs freely but sounds like no other engine I've ever had, especially at tick over and just above. I seem to get all sorts of different noises at low revs including a sort of ticking sound plus a whirring and just lots of general mechanical types of noises. I'm not too worried as I suspect its probably normal for the bike plus its been making the same noises ever since I've owned it. Its just that its like no other motorcycle engine I've ever owned in the last 30 odd years.

Thoughts anyone? :confused:

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Mine sounds like a bucket of bolts too, but has been pretty much flawless for more than 50,000 miles.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I had the wife listen to this video without seeing it, and asked if it sounded like my bike. She said, "Yes, well, it may be a bit more clackety than yours.

CLICKY

R

·
0 Posts
Mine sounds like a bucket of bolts too, but has been pretty much flawless for more than 50,000 miles.
I certainly have to agree with Ozart.
This is one engine that will never stealthy.
A good pair of ear plugs can improve your opinion of the noise levels though.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
You want scary, Start an F800 BMW motor. Initial valve clatter will have you grabbing the kill switch, especially after an oil change. Then the clutch makes it's' own symphony. There are nasty rumors of clattery loose pistons on early models.
I think the Wee 650 has some pleasant sounds particular to the design. Not at all scary. Very manly and testosteronal!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Ducati Monster 750

I test rode one of those - it had an interesting top-end sound, possibly due its no-springs valve train

·
Registered
185 Posts
My new to me at 49000 miles (now 52k) amazed me when I rode around the block to move it to the front of our driveway tonight. :yesnod: I had no helmet on for the first time. I heard many noises and much louder than I ever had before. It was nice in a way to hear the engine etc. working.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Wally, the old and magnificent SV twin will make all the noises it likes to make :yesnod:don't invent new ones,take it to 6 in top and listen to it sing like a sewing machine.:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Suzuki has changed their sound over the years. Back in the early 70's we used to describe the sound as SuuuuZuuuuKiiiiiiiiiiii. I just accept the present sound as that of the new generation of Suzuki. Maybe they don't all sound like our DL's but it doesn't really bother me either.
:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've noticed a resonant pulsing sound at 4500 rpm. I don't think its a specific problem nor a single sound but the combination of a couple of different sounds. At any other rpm the sound goes away.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Sounds much better with earplugs in. I grew acustom to the noise with my Harley V twin, I did a lot of top end work on it in an effort to reduce valve train noise, it worked but its the nature of the beast....ear plugs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts