StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows how much gas is left in the tank (2017 DL650) when on the fuel gauge, you are down to one bar, and it begins blinking. I'm not one to usually let it run down that low, but... long story, and I have 1 blinking fuel bar on the display.

I am aware I can see the estimated "range left", but those seem to always err on the side of caution (and understandably so).

Much obliged!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts

I am aware I can see the estimated "range left", but those seem to always err on the side of caution (and understandably so).
Not necessarily so. If your 650 is anything similar to the 1000 I can tell you that it was totally empty at -12 miles range. I rode the James Bay Road in QC last year and just made it to the gas station on the way up (was at -8 miles range) and did not make it on the way back a couple of miles out at -12 miles. So assume that there is not much more range than your bike shows you and you can guestimate how much is left in the tank. Put a gas can on the rear seat and run it empty, then you know exactly.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Always nice to get a sense for how long you can go on one bar blinking, but there's going to be factors that may make the blinking bar inconsistent with respect to miles/KM of fuel left such as speed of travel, elevation, head wind etc.

Also, its not a good practice to run your fuel that low to often as the gas helps to keep the fuel-pump cool.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Each bike may be different. Best bet is to verify on your own bike by filling it up and seeing how much fuel it takes, subtract that from fuel tank capacity: 5.3 gallons.

I try to refill when I start a trip with less than 50 miles on the "range left" indicator (round trip to work and back), which loosely coincides with the blinking bar. My average fill up is slightly less than 4 gallons, so I know I've got capacity left. I often wonder how full the tank needs to be to get 5.3 gallons of fuel in it. I don't cram every last drop in that I can... I might not be using the entire 5.3 gallon capacity, but I'm consistent with where I fill the tank to.

As others have said, I'd rather not push it, but it's nice to know I could go further if there are no other options.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not necessarily so. If your 650 is anything similar to the 1000 I can tell you that it was totally empty at -12 miles range. I rode the James Bay Road in QC last year and just made it to the gas station on the way up (was at -8 miles range) and did not make it on the way back a couple of miles out at -12 miles. So assume that there is not much more range than your bike shows you and you can guestimate how much is left in the tank. Put a gas can on the rear seat and run it empty, then you know exactly.
Good to know, thanks. And good idea about the gas can.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always nice to get a sense for how long you can go on one bar blinking, but there's going to be factors that may make the blinking bar inconsistent with respect to miles/KM of fuel left such as speed of travel, elevation, head wind etc.

Also, its not a good practice to run your fuel that low to often as the gas helps to keep the fuel-pump cool.
Good points. I did not know that about the fuel pump. Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Each bike may be different. Best bet is to verify on your own bike by filling it up and seeing how much fuel it takes, subtract that from fuel tank capacity: 5.3 gallons.

I try to refill when I start a trip with less than 50 miles on the "range left" indicator (round trip to work and back), which loosely coincides with the blinking bar. My average fill up is slightly less than 4 gallons, so I know I've got capacity left. I often wonder how full the tank needs to be to get 5.3 gallons of fuel in it. I don't cram every last drop in that I can... I might not be using the entire 5.3 gallon capacity, but I'm consistent with where I fill the tank to.

As others have said, I'd rather not push it, but it's nice to know I could go further if there are no other options.
Thanks. I've done that mental math after I fill up to see how much I had left.

Yeah, the bottom line is I don't want to push it. Don't want to be thinking about how much gas is left when I should be focusing on the road. Easy fix. Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
On my '17 650, one bar blinking doesn't concern me as I can always find gas, the range showing +/- 52mi. No bars equals .3L on paper, and Iv'e gotten the range down to -2mi and it took 5.2g/19.6l to fill it right to the lip in the neck. "your milage may vary".

·
Registered
549 Posts
Call me cautious or just a coward but I never want to let any vehicle get low on fuel. There are mechanical reasons with the pump. Then there are the "my well being" issues with being stuck out in the middle of nowhere on dead bike. Either way keep fuel in the tank! Also, if you are going to be out where getting fuel is an issue plan wisely and get one of those little flat gas cans that fit on the rack. Cheap insurance!

In the mean time: I do watch my gauge and the "miles remaining" count down and then pay attention to how much fuel she takes when I fill her up. While on automobiles most car makers give you two to four gallons of "safety" when they hit "empty" I know for a fact that my bike doesn't do that! Fact is when it says its going to run out....believe it.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Crossing Nevada I went to a blinking 'one bar' so I slowed from 75ish to 60. Made it the 30 miles into town, but not sure how much further I could have gone. I do carry a liter of extra fuel now.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
So here's how it works. You'll pass a fuel station and within about 4 miles the fuel bar will begin to blink. You could turn around but you won't because surely around the next turn they'll be another gas station. As you keep traveling there are no stations in sight. Now you've gone 30 miles and would like to turn around but can't because you don't think you have enough fuel to make it so you keep going forward. Eventually you run out of gas. After a while a good Samaritan picks you up and drives you another 5 miles to the nearest gas station where you pay $19 for a 1 gallon gas can and get $2.50 in fuel. You catch another ride back dump in the gas and since only an hour and a half has elapsed since you ran out of fuel so you carry on.

So to answer you question when the low fuel bar starts blinking you are about 5 miles short of the next gas station.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So here's how it works.......

So to answer you question when the low fuel bar starts blinking you are about 5 miles short of the next gas station.
Yup.

Which leads you to the old adage about riding your motorcycle in Mexico (or elsewhere):

See Gas? Get Gas!

Tajikistan- not many places to get gas.

Here's a station, but no one around......

By the time the Gas guy got back from lunch (or whatever) there were a bunch of us waiting.

Back on topic: I usually get 25 miles after the 'GasPump' icon starts blinking, until both the Bar and Pump are blinking. From that point where both are blinking, I've gone 15 miles- I think I could go another 10 but I never have.

I think of total reserve as 1 gal. or 50 miles. I think there's still a little more, but I don't know if the pump can pick it up.

(I make sure to slow down for maximum mileage when everything is blinking.)

..............shu

·
Registered
92 Posts
Somewhere I read today said it has 1.1 gallons left when the last bar blinks. That seems consistent with how much gas I put in when it's empty. No where near 5.3 gallons.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Much obliged for all the comments! I'd never intentionally let the tank run low out in or near the boonies. I was asking merely because I was trying to figure out if I had enough gas to get to my local Costco. Their gas is all "Top Tier" gasoline, which is supposed to be better than non-Top Tier stuff.

I ended up getting one gallon of gas at a station a mile from my house, then rode to Costco and filled up. I forget exactly how much I was able to put in the tank at Costco- think @ 3.5-3.75 gallons?

Hans471, I would only call you cautious. Running low on gas is not something I want to worry about, either!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
My bride spends more time looking at my fuel gauges than I do and recons I can't beat the tank, when it is empty it is empty but I hate to stop so if I think I can get away with it I will try.

We were on holidays in the car when the car beeped at me for the third time, that means according to the car I had zero fuel left and she knew that, 10 minutes down the road we came to a fuel station and drove on past, the look on her face is imbedded in my mind and I smile when I think of it, she asked how far to the next fuel stop, I replied about 75ks, the look then got nasty & she got quiet, I fuelled up 75ks later and was able to get 74lt into a 75lt tank, I call that precision she calls it lucky.

I did run out of fuel 3 times in one day on my V2 but I do maintain it was because of a mechanical issue, "that is my story and I'm sticking to it."

·
Registered
72 Posts
The most I was ever able to fill up was 19l - range indicator was at 6km after 407km of normal commuting.

But I tend to fill up around 350km to be on the safe side (thre's one cheap gas station quite close to home, and it's significantly cheaper than most others of the same brand, so I tend to use that one if I can).

·
Registered
795 Posts
I commute on my 2015 650, so I frequently run it until the last bar is flashing and usually put 4.5 to 4.8 gallons in it. I reset the trip 2 odometer every time and use the estimated mpg vs. the miles travelled since reset to estimate my mileage.

In 29,000 miles, the trip computer has rarely been more than 1.5 mpg off. I’ll round down about 3 or 4 mpg and do the math. For example, if it says I’m getting 54.5 mpg, I figure I don’t need gas for about 250 miles since the last fill up. When I am loaded two up, on a trip and driving faster and it says I’m getting 43 mpg, I’ll start looking for a station at the 175 mile mark and plan to get gas by 200 or so. And on long trips, I carry 1/2 gallon of extra fuel in backpacking fuel bottles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts