StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wise ones-

Proud owner of an '09 DL650 and I just installed a Murph's center stand. After a bit of filing, I got it moving easily and smoothly and I can easily get the bike ON the stand.

Here's my concern: It seems too easy to take the bike off the stand. It seems like a gentle shove from behind would be sufficient. I know it's hard to quantify such things, but I'd put it at a 2/10 on the effort scale. As in "A motivated 5 year old pushing on the back could probably knock the bike over."

Is this normal? (It's quite different than my '86 YX600 which needs a huge ooomph to rock off the CS.)

Is this ok? I know the side stand is for parking and the center stand is for maintenance and maybe for space-efficient long-term storage.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wise ones-

Proud owner of an '09 DL650 and I just installed a Murph's center stand. After a bit of filing, I got it moving easily and smoothly and I can easily get the bike ON the stand.

Here's my concern: It seems too easy to take the bike off the stand. It seems like a gentle shove from behind would be sufficient. I know it's hard to quantify such things, but I'd put it at a 2/10 on the effort scale. As in "A motivated 5 year old pushing on the back could probably knock the bike over."

Is this normal? (It's quite different than my '86 YX600 which needs a huge ooomph to rock off the CS.)

Is this ok? I know the side stand is for parking and the center stand is for maintenance and maybe for space-efficient long-term storage.
I have the OEM centerstand, and it takes a huge effort to rock the bike forward off the thing while astride the bike... much easier while off the bike. Interesting to compare your experience with the Murph's unit. While I often use the centerstand for parking -- especially when hot asphalt is involved -- I think you have your solution: restrict the use of the centerstand to situations where there won't be many motivated 5 year-olds about. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also have a murphs center stand that I just put on not that long ago. I don't really notice it being so easy to push over. I just stand up and rock it forward until it comes off?

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Let's rock together ... slowly back ... now LURCH!

The wise ones are busy. I am the windy one, and here is my guess.

I have the Suzuki center-stand on my 2006 Wee-Strom,
and I like being able to check the oil safely, and to lubricate
the chain conveniently.

I am 71 years old, and I am not about to shove the bike off the stand
unless I am astride the bike and can land with both feet.

When my bike is unloaded, I can rock gently back and then lunge forward,
and the bike rises a bit, then lands gently on its wheels, braced by my feet.

Last week I rode from Sarasota Florida, and stayed nights at motels.
I cannot lift the bike onto the center stand while it is heavily loaded,
so I used the sidestand until the bike was emptied of cargo, then I
put it on the center stand and wiped and oiled the chain (while the
chain was still warm, don'tcha know).

In the mornings, I loaded the bike, and then had to rock back and then
lurch forward strongly to get the bike onto both wheels.

I suspect that your stand collapses more easily than mine does,
based on your clever and eloquent description of the force required.

Two possible reasons occur to me:

1. If the front suspension has been shortened (a task done with only
wrenches -- no parts required) then its posture is altered so that it
is always closer to collapsing than it was in its stock configuration.
Remedy: set the suspension as Mrs. Suzuki set it at the factory.

2. The stand naturally has a more delicate setting than my Suzuki stand.
Remedy: study the situation, and grind some metal off the proper place
so that the stand goes a bit farther past the vertical as you erect it.

For example, look at a jackknife and imagine filing some metal off the lumpy
part at the base of the blade. Depending on how you do it, the blade will
rotate a bit more, and close with less metal protruding. File too much,
and the sharp part of the blade will hit the bottom of the cavity housing the blade.
Dullness will result. Same bad result will happen if you file off too much of
the anvil (or whatever) that determines the limit of motion of the stand.

Good luck!
Keith

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
1000 here , so there could be some differences. But I learned that the more you crank the two main bolts down on the Murphs kit (2 big ones running horizontal on each side) the harder it is to move , weather putting it up or pulling it down. If that's the case , perhaps you could just tighten them up some?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Another idea

I can't imagine it, but maybe the previous owner was very tall and raised the bike? I lowered my 2012 3/4 inches and had to cut the Happy Trails CS down 3/4 of an inch to make it work without huge effort.

RR

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with you about ease of rocking off the stand. Of all the bikes I have owned, my Wee is the easiest to both engage and get off the center stand. I can, and often do, deploy the center stand while on the bike! I use it much more than I do the side stand. I suppose it's because I commute to work on it (in season), use the luggage daily and my garage is small - the bike uses less room upright than on the side stand. My sidestand is from sw motech.

·
Registered
402 Posts
CA Dreamin

years ago I was looking for a centerstand for my Harley Ultra Classic. The one that I settled on had the same issue -- easy to push off. I asked the salesguy how they dealt with that. He showed me a velcro strap that was to be wrapped around the brake lever while on the centerstand. I walked away from the sale. But you might want to think about such a solution for your Wee.

When I bought my Vee, the previous owner had installed a centerstand. It takes me quite as bit of concentrated effort and rocking to get it off the centerstand. No idea what brand it is.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I also have a murphs center stand that I just put on not that long ago. I don't really notice it being so easy to push over. I just stand up and rock it forward until it comes off?
Same here! Same set up, same technique.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
This is how I liked the tension set on my SW-Motech stand.

B.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have a HT center stand - no problem

Just my .02 I have a HT center stand on my Wee, and no problems getting it on or off the stand, and I only weigh about 150.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts