StromTrooper banner

How much for a new one?

2516 Views 23 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  richw
Hello. I am new to the forum and am looking into buying a 2011 wee-strom. I spoke with a dealer on the phone that has two in stock (one black and one white). He said the sticker price was $8400, which seems quite high to me, but he is willing to negotiate down from there. What is a fair out-the-door price for these bikes right now? He also said that Suzuki's 1.9% offer is no longer valid for the V-Stroms but that they are still offering 3.9%.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Hello. I am new to the forum and am looking into buying a 2011 wee-strom. I spoke with a dealer on the phone that has two in stock (one black and one white). He said the sticker price was $8400, which seems quite high to me, but he is willing to negotiate down from there. What is a fair out-the-door price for these bikes right now? He also said that Suzuki's 1.9% offer is no longer valid for the V-Stroms but that they are still offering 3.9%.
Keep looking. MSRP is $8100. I got mine for $7000 OTD (+3.5% when I repatriated it back to WV) here:

McHenry, Maryland, Aprilia, Arctic Cat, Suzuki, ATV, Motorcycle, Scooter, Dealer, Used, Parts, Service, Financing

· Registered
729 Posts
There is an excellent buy on a used Wee in London, KY right now, listed in the market place.:fineprint:

You didn't say where in Kentucky you are but I believe that we have shopped the same dealer because I had the exact deal made to me on my 2011 White Wee. I love my bike but I believe you can make a better deal. I shopped in Harrodsburg to compare pricing and the deal he is offering you seems fair for our market. I was able to get zero percent financing from the dealer finance manager and that is the only reason that I chose a new bike. I would have gone the used option if I had to pay any real interest to finance.

· Registered
66 Posts
I'm in Canada, and even though our dollar is worth more than yours now, prices are higher for everything on this side of the border...usually some BS about smaller markets...

Anyway, MSRP here is $9799, and I got mine for the equivilant of $8700 (actually lots less with trade-in considered) out the door, $300 to put toward accessories, free first service. I haggled a lot and got a very, very good deal on my trade-in, which I took as them being willing to go a little lower on the sale price if I wasn't trading in a bike. I think the American MSRP is around $8000, so I would be looking for $1000 off that price, at least.

Dave

· Registered
260 Posts
As BillZ said, you could save yourself some $$$ by picking up a gently used low miles bike. The fact is that these bikes are near bulletproof. It is highly unlikely that there will be anything wrong with a bike that has low miles on it if it has been cared for even minimally by its owner.

If you absolutely must have a new bike, I would not pay more than $7500 out the door on a non-ABS version, and I would lean a lot closer to $7000.

· Registered
220 Posts
"List Price" is $8099 I think, which would be as much as $9500 out the door depending on your local taxes and what the dealer wants in prep fees etc. After several rounds of negotiation I got a quote of $8000 out the door including all dealer and state fees ( registration/title in NJ is $125) and sales tax (7% in NJ) on an ABS model. I think all 2011 bikes are ABS.

The dealer's first offer was around $8600 out the door including all fees and taxes.

Used would be great - if you can find one. If you want ABS, that can be difficult unless you want to "fly and drive".

· Registered
244 Posts
bought mine early in the year for $8ooo.oo otd. not a super deal by any means but since the dealer had to order in a white one i felt it was worth it. you should be able to save several hundred off that now - especially with the 2012 model being a significant redesign.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is an excellent buy on a used Wee in London, KY right now, listed in the market place.:fineprint:

You didn't say where in Kentucky you are but I believe that we have shopped the same dealer because I had the exact deal made to me on my 2011 White Wee...
I am up near Cincinnati so it probably wasn't the same dealer. $8400 must be a popular starting point for negotiation.

I am not locked in on a brand new bike, but I don't want to buy someone else's problem child either. I bought a 1981 Maxim 650 as a first bike three years ago and am ready to move out of the carb world. At 31 years old, the bike has been a surprisingly strong commuter (60+ miles/day) but I am ready for a change. It seems like there is always a small (i.e. non-ride stopping) maintenance issue begging for attention and I would like to be know the bike is ready when I am. Basically, I am looking forward to a serious upgrade in fit and finish. Financing the new/used bike will make the purchase easier to sell at home, but I don't know what the banks stance on financing used bikes through private sale is. Does anybody have experience with that?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other question on the used bike front. My understanding is that there have been some design changes over the years and that the clutch was an issue early on. Are there any years I should avoid buying? (I apologize in advance if this question belongs in a separate topic.)

· Registered
230 Posts
Your going to have a hard time finding a problem child Vee or Wee. These machines are pretty well designed and work reliably with only minimal user input. Anything you find with under 50K miles is worth a strong consideration. Anything with under 20K miles is worth considering as LIKE NEW. There are a number of owners with far over 100K miles on both the Wee and the Vee with minimal required repairs over that entire life span.

On this particular bike, I would be very hard pressed to suggest a new one over a clean road ridden used. There are some folks that just must go new because of the emotional thing tied to buying new, but if you can wrap your head around the concept of a used bike, you will find that for around half the cost of a new one you will get a very clean and well loved previously owned DL650/1000.

· Registered
230 Posts
Clutch was DL1000 related as far as I know

In 2002/2003 the center display was "idiot lights" and in 2004 it went all digital in the center.

There was a swingarm length change I think in 2007 on the DL650 and DL1000.

I can't think of any other, but someone else will chime in with more.

· Registered
120 Posts
I sit firmly in the used camp, too. I bought my 07 Wee used last year with 10,000 on the clock and have added another 8,000 trouble-free miles. Last weekend I took it from East Tenessee to Wheeling, WV. Rode up on Friday, back on Saturday. No worries at all. As a matter of fact, I am putting together a Saddle-sore 1000 on the 3ird of September. I will be on my trusty Wee that I bought used. Another thing to think about, if you buy used you will most-likely get all of the farkles the PO added to the bike. :thumbup:

· Registered
120 Posts
It sounds like used is the way to go. Any thoughts on financing a used bike?
I would think about any bank would have a decent rate.
:rant:But, I feel obligated to say I would NEVER borrow money to buy a bike. I went down the road of payments and will never go back. I listened to Dave Ramsey on the radio and read his book about how to live payment free. I didn't think I could really do it....but I did!!!! No payments for 3 years now...what a feeling.
(Sorry if off topic, but I never want anyone to have to go through all the :new_shitsmiley: I did)

· Registered
391 Posts
I just bought a new one after getting a bit put off trying to buy a pre-owned Wee. I also like the idea of ABS, 1 year warrantee and the fact that for an additional $1000 I have a brand new bike. Now, many people are not comfortable paying an additional $1000-$1500 for new but that's another discussion. The list is $8099, dealer is paying around $7100. I paid $7500. Here in NY sales tax is 8.65% so it was $8268 out the door. By the way, I love this bike!:hurray:

· Registered
374 Posts
Keep your eye's open for a used one remember new stuff loses value second you ride it off the floor...ofcourse with used also pay attention to if it has been well cared for and the owner had decent maint records... I financed 3k on my used WEE with no problems... interest rate is only an issue if you plan to stretch out the payments. I went for a super long term loan just for the low monthly payment.. just incase I needed the spare money in a emergency | With used if your lucky you get a lot of ncie farkles (more $$$ spending on a new bike) I did not have to buy much as mine had most of everythign I wanted, all the electrical mods were done with care and due to that I have had zero issues / worries in the 4.5k i have now put on it - just got back from a 2.8k road trip used a little oil with the prolonged spirited riding I did fully loaded but oh well | only farkle I can think i need now is a better seat!... I even paid off the financed part in the first year with my tax return was harsh doing that but one less monthly bill win/win...insurance did not ding me on it being financed either... keep your eyes open and you will find your WEE soon as well... I love mine and ride it everyday unless there is snow...

· Registered
335 Posts
Right now there are about a half-dozen used DL650s for sale within two hours of my house, all of them under $5000.

The best deal is a 2006 with every Givi farkle available installed - has under 15ooo miles, which is just broke-in. He's asking $4600.

I cannot imagine buying a new one right now. Unless it was the 2012.

btw: I paid less than $4000 for my '03 DL1k with 16ooo miles on it and a ton of farkles and spare parts and tools and gear. It needed a new battery and a new chain. Otherwise perfect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.