StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to transport 2 V's in the back of a full size pickup truck bed?

I am considering trying to put a V and a Wee in the back of by full size truck bed for a trip up north. We were able to fit them on a 5 x 8 ft trailer, but now wondering if anyone has tried to fit 2 V's in the back of a full size pickup truck.
Considering the truck bed is the same size as the trailer, the major concerns would be the wheel well on the truck causing a problem. Then finding spots to tie down. Dangers involved while loading at that height?

The bikes are about 200 miles apart, so I can't test it B-4 the trip.

Any one tried this?

Thanks for your suggestions....

PS: Reason I want to do this is to be able to pull a travel trailer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A few weeks ago I had to put my Wee in the back of my '89 half-ton Chevy; it's a short wheel-base, single cab truck. The only way I could close the tailgate was by putting the bike in there kinda diagonally; of course if I had a long-bed truck I wouldn't have had to do that I don't think.

So if want to close the tail-gate and carry two 'Stroms a long-bed truck is a requirement; then it becomes a width issue. If they're gonna both be upright you'll probably have to stagger them a bit so the handlebars don't hit; i.e. have one slightly ahead of the other, but I think it's doable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we had the two on the trailer, we found they fit best one forward, one reversed. Solved all the fit problems.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
If you're planning a trip, why don't you plan on riding the bikes instead of driving a truck?

Bikes make very good long distance bikes. You can cross Canada in 5 days.

If you just want to get there and ride around, then rent some bikes when you get there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am NOT a 100% Biker, I'm a old timer, if I sit on the V for Hr's on end my knees won't hold me when I try to walk. Being in South Florida. If the rain doesn't wash you away, the 80/90 year old drivers will run you off the road, H..... I have been run off the road while driving my F-250, they turn on their signals and expect you to get out of their way. I can do 6/8/10/12 Hr's in a truck with AC Radio and cruse control, but on a Cycle I need to stop every so often to stretch and unwind. At my age, getting their is not the point of the trip, I'd rather tow a RV and have a place to sleep, carry a spare "what ever" and once at the new location, enjoy the area.
Renting 'might' be an option, but most locations only rent HD's, I'd just as soon have my own bike as rent another? Plus If I was all that into renting, I'd sell the V and just rent, but I enjoy the V and the option to do what I want when I want.
ALSO: Being run off the road in a truck is a lot easier to take, than on a cycle, and it doesn't happen as often.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i'm interested too, if someone has fit two stroms in the back of a pickup. we're looking at a truck right now and it would open up going south to north carolina in february and riding the rest of the way to florida.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Ronnie,

When are you planning on coming up here?

Hey here's an idea: Load your bike in the truck bed in Lauderdale, when you get to Orlando to pick up Kurt, if his bike doesn't fit, you can take turns riding his bike up.

Do you remember how much space you had around the bikes on the trailer? I think I remember someone here putting two Stroms in an 8' pickup bed. I think they were opposed front-to-back with the rearward-facing bike's front tire resting on the open tailgate.

Good luck, PM me with your schedule.

Norm

·
Registered
662 Posts
Has anyone tried to transport 2 V's in the back of a full size pickup truck bed?
Negative, its physically impossible to contain that much awesomeness in a truck bed.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I don't think it's quite as simple as "how many will fit". How many can you actually push or ride up into (and out of) the bed? What kind of a ramp will you need to accomplish the above, (and where will it go) and how will you tie them down when there is two of them side by side? Having two bikes in the bed means that your tie downs will have to run through, around or over each bike:yikes:. As you say "old timer", "not 100% biker" I'm thinking you could be biting off more than you will want to chew.:headbang:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't think it's quite as simple as "how many will fit". How many can you actually push or ride up into (and out of) the bed? What kind of a ramp will you need to accomplish the above, (and where will it go) and how will you tie them down when there is two of them side by side? Having two bikes in the bed means that your tie downs will have to run through, around or over each bike:yikes:. As you say "old timer", "not 100% biker" I'm thinking you could be biting off more than you will want to chew.:headbang:
That comes up in my cone too. If you can't ride a bike as comfortable as a Strom for several hours without hurt, I am sure you will be aching allot more after getting two bikes on and off a pickup.

If you are afraid of being run off the road by cagers you could think of leaving the bikes in the garage: no more headache!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me, at this point fit is the only concern...
My ramp center is rated at 1500# each side is 750# (3000# total), it is 3 1/2 ft wide and just over 7 ft long. I plan on looking for a slight incline to decrease the angle, and I have a come-along plus an electric winch to get the bikes in place w/o having to drive it into a tight fit. I can weld a tie down where ever one needs to be.

>> So the question so far is if the truck's wheel wells will kill the plan.

We trailered the bikes last year, trailer was 96" x 59", truck bed is 96" x 66"
But the trailer's wheels were outside the 59" width, Wheel wells on the truck are 11" tall, and only 50" between the wheel wells...
Looking at it just now, one sure fix would be to remove one or both wheel wells to free up the space.
But would really like to know if anyone has tried this.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Wheel wells will not kill the deal. You can always put the bike tires on 2"x6" blocks if clearance on one of the bikes is an issue. I do think you will have to put one in facing forward and one back which is not a big deal if you have pulling or pushing power. With that substantial a ramp you can surely ride the first bike in. Have a great trip.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I would say then, with the equipment that you have, you don't need to modify the bed. You only need 50'' to put two in facing forward, and with the winch you could easily put one in backwards. Put yours in backwards and on the driver's side, set it on the sidestand, and with a helper steadying it tie down loosely from the driver's side just enough to pull it up off the stand but not to vertical. Lift the side stand. Tie down the other side, compressing the suspension a little. Work the tie downs until the bike leans into the driver's side. If you have them, those wheel chock things will help greatly at the front. When you get to your buddies you can drive it in frontwards or winch it, should be almost 2 1/2 feet between their wheels, you only need 2 feet. Best of luck on your trip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wheel wells will not kill the deal. You can always put the bike tires on 2"x6" blocks if clearance on one of the bikes is an issue. I do think you will have to put one in facing forward and one back which is not a big deal if you have pulling or pushing power. With that substantial a ramp you can surely ride the first bike in. Have a great trip.:thumbup:
OK, that's info I hadn't thought of, simple solution, yet one overlooked.
KISS Keep It Simple Stupid......
I did think about wood to keep the un-chocked wheel from moving on the sheet metal truck bed. Just hadn't put 2+2 together and thought about elevating the cycle to get more clearance. near the wheel wells.

Thanks!!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would say then, with the equipment that you have, you don't need to modify the bed. You only need 50'' to put two in facing forward, and with the winch you could easily put one in backwards. Put yours in backwards and on the driver's side, set it on the sidestand, and with a helper steadying it tie down loosely from the driver's side just enough to pull it up off the stand but not to vertical. Lift the side stand. Tie down the other side, compressing the suspension a little. Work the tie downs until the bike leans into the driver's side. If you have them, those wheel chock things will help greatly at the front. When you get to your buddies you can drive it in frontwards or winch it, should be almost 2 1/2 feet between their wheels, you only need 2 feet. Best of luck on your trip.
When we trailered, we tried to get the cycles 100% vertical, thinking that would be the safe way to keep them so the weight of the bike would be on the wheels not on the tie down straps. Also the road bounce would be taken through the tire not the tie down. We opted for one forward one back rather than trying to stagger them to get more clearance between the bikes rather than risk scratching something. Each bike had 4 tie downs, and it worked great till the last 5 or 10 miles, one tie down came free on a bumpy road. That taught me to use stretch cords to keep the hooks on the tie down in the loops if the bike happens to bounce enough to take the tension off the loop. The hook just fell out of the loop because of the movement on a really bad road. The other 3 tie downs kept the bike from moving enough to do any damage but I learned a lesson from that one. 59" was still really close, my DL1000 has crash bars that took up space, but did give us another point to tie on to. We used the come along to load the 650 backward once, but after that just looked for a incline to lesson the ramp angle and the 2 of us were able to roll it on w/o much effort. I don't know that they would fit in 50"

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just wondering - On the backwards-facing bike, are there any potential issues with the windscreen (or other aero parts) being blown off? They're designed to go INto the wind, so would 60+ mph blowing the wrong way "scoop" up enough air to pull them off the bike?

I'm probably just being paranoid

1 - 20 of 38 Posts