StromTrooper banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
So if understand all the post on the gasoline - i need to use an ethanol free gas ?
Woohoo. Contentious issue alert. At the risk of starting a new oil thread:

According to Suzuki, up to 10% ethanol is not an issue. Your whole fuel system is ethanol-proof. The only real thing is that ethanol contains slightly less energy per cc, so performance of the bike will be marginally down. Whether you'll notice that... I don't think so.

However, ethanol is kind of a magnet for water. When your bike sits too long with a tank half full, water from condensation could work its way into the tank and cause corrosion there. Which eventually could lead to a clogged pump, clogged injectors, leaking tanks and other misery.

So opinions vary. If you're in a moist climate and regularly do not ride the bike for months (winter) then it's probably a good idea to use a tank or two of ethanol-free fuel just before winter starts. If you are in a dry climate and ride regularly, up to 10% ethanol should not be an issue at all.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I used to dump a litre of methylated spirits into the tank of the bike every spring when I lived in a cold climate. That was a fresh unopened bottle, go for a long ride to use it all up and it sucked all the condensation that had settled to the bottom of the tank over winter out. So yeah, really good at attracting water which is the main problem it has when pre-added.

And unless you have a variable compression engine the economics are poor, there's less energy/l with E10.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd say you're too early on all three

iridium plugs last and are C$25ea, check them but they should be fine.

check the air filter but if you haven't been riding too much dusty stuff, should be ok still.

check the coolant colour, mines blue and good for 5 years and many more km than you have. can be changed when you do the valves in a couple years.

when you say it ran rough, do you mean right after start or did it continue after the whole bike was warmed up?
Not all iridium last. Some are good for 20k kn and some are 100k km ...
It's not just the iridium tip but the ground electrode side too.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts