StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all sorry for the post but I'm prepping my bike for next year and will be changing tires/air filter and plugs. Does the 2019 Vstrom 1000 have 1 or 2 plugs per head ?

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To all - thanks for responses i only have 12K ++ KM's on my bike. However over the weekend i took a 3 day trip and the bike slept outside in temp down to 5 Celsius on the first two days and the bike started quickly but idled roughly and yesterday it did not start without me giving it a little twist on the gaz first time I have to do this to get it started ?

Would this be due to the plugs/air filter or something else - i have both on order and scheduled to me changed next week while my new tires get installed. The coolent will be looked at, just want too make sure that its full as well as the brake pads.

Your thoughts in this would be appreciated !

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'd say you're too early on all three

iridium plugs last and are C$25ea, check them but they should be fine.

check the air filter but if you haven't been riding too much dusty stuff, should be ok still.

check the coolant colour, mines blue and good for 5 years and many more km than you have. can be changed when you do the valves in a couple years.

when you say it ran rough, do you mean right after start or did it continue after the whole bike was warmed up?

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Doubt it was the plugs. As other said they last much longer than that. My 18 has 61,000 mi on the original and runs fine. Checked at 45 and looked new.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
I did change the plugs on my 2014 relatively early as I was in there doing a valve job (badly needed one at that). Those plugs did look like they'd had a hard life and with Iridium plugs there's not much to clean and if they need regapping, replacing is easier and safer.

The bike did run better with new plugs and has continued to run better since. I suspect that may have largely been due to having correct valve timing now, but saying they don't need changing isn't the whole story. It's certainly worth checking them and being prepared to change them if they look beat up. Use a jewellers loupe or magnifying glass and check the tips, if those look rounded or broken they need replacing.

Note: I've also run Iridium plugs on my DL650's inspected those and put them back in because they showed no real signs of wear. (Insane k's there).

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Would this be due to the plugs/air filter or something else
A known issue is this: The spark plug wells are fairly deep and have a small drain hole. If this drain hole gets clogged up, water (from rain or condensation) could remain in the well, causing a short. That may lead to hard starting and rough idle. As the bike heats up and gets ridden, this water evaporates or is shaken out so the short disappears and normal running is restored.

It might be worth checking if this is the case with your bike.

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd say you're too early on all three

iridium plugs last and are C$25ea, check them but they should be fine.

check the air filter but if you haven't been riding too much dusty stuff, should be ok still.

check the coolant colour, mines blue and good for 5 years and many more km than you have. can be changed when you do the valves in a couple years.

when you say it ran rough, do you mean right after start or did it continue after the whole bike was warmed up?

Twenty the start up issues disappeared quickly

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To all - I will change the plugs and filter anyways and I will have the mechanic check if the drain hole is plugged just to be sure.

One last comment these issues seem to arise like i said when the bike spends the night outside - also I have a cover on the bike when i leave it out, could this create/allow for humidity to accumulate and cause the issue ?

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
@Big 2

It's always better looking at possible simple answers rather than big stuff that costs money. What brand of gas do you use? If you are in Ontario and aren't already doing so try using Shell super (91) as it's ethanol free.

Good chance your issue is fuel related. Maybe a bit of water condensation in the fuel.

As for your cover question: leave it outside without the cover and see if it makes a difference.

..Tom

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Big 2

It's always better looking at possible simple answers rather than big stuff that costs money. What brand of gas do you use? If you are in Ontario and aren't already doing so try using Shell super (91) as it's ethanol free.

Good chance your issue is fuel related. Maybe a bit of water condensation in the fuel.

As for your cover question: leave it outside without the cover and see if it makes a difference.

..Tom
Tom - i always use the highest octane Gaz possible: typically at Petro Canada (I will pay more attention to the Ethanol free point you made moving forward)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
To all - I will change the plugs and filter anyways and I will have the mechanic check if the drain hole is plugged just to be sure.
Preferably the other way 'round: Before you remove the plugs, make sure you clean the plug wells and the drain holes. Generally accepted method is to blow some compressed air in/through them.

If there's loose stuff in the wells (moisture, crud), and you remove the spark plug, all that loose stuff will fall down the spark plug hole into the cylinders. Not good.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
Tom - i always use the highest octane Gaz possible: typically at Petro Canada (I will pay more attention to the Ethanol free point you made moving forward)
If you are using Petro Canada 94 octane the additive they use to boost the octane has similar effects to ethanol. (According to a gasoline engineer client of mine.) Probably doesn't matter most of the time but there really is no good reason to use that high an octane anyway.

..Tom

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are using Petro Canada 94 octane the additive they use to boost the octane has similar effects to ethanol. (According to a gasoline engineer client of mine.) Probably doesn't matter most of the time but there really is no good reason to use that high an octane anyway.

..Tom
Tom thanks i will tone the octane level down, it will also cost me less per fill up as well

·
Registered
32 Posts
Costco 91 is ethanol free too.

..Tom
I feel like Esso premium is the same in this regard. I'm not buying for the octane, I'm buying for it to be ethanol free. If they are adding octance booster to 87 but it still contains ethanol then it's a hard pass for me. I remember testing this when I drove a lot for work. I noticed a slight dip in mileage with Esso premium vs Esso 87. Since then I use Costco or Shell. Looks like CT will be on that list going forward.

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So if understand all the post on the gasoline - i need to use an ethanol free gas ?

I will start using the Shell super - per Tom's post for the balance of what is left in our riding season !

·
Registered
2019 DL1000A
114 Posts
Most gas stations have stickers on the pump stating whether or not there's ethanol, and how much.
Esso has none. Its a mystery, so I don't buy it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts