StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 DL 650 with 70k on the clock. It doesn't use oil and has been well car for. How many miles are these bikes good for and what can I expect to get before any major issues?

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
My 04 Wee has 100+K miles and haven't had any engine issues. Hasn't had but one valve check at 80K miles.
Oil at 6K filter at 12K.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Modern engines last a long time, its all the other little pieces that need attention. If you do regular preventive maintenance, you should easily go 100k miles. Age is also a determining factor, because rubber parts (hoses, O-rings, etc.) don't last as long as metal ones. This is not a big deal if you do your own maintenance, but it can get expensive if you pay a dealer to do the work.

·
Registered
711 Posts
140k miles on mine so far and it has never left me stranded. Oil every 3,500 miles. Ridden year round and sits outside in Philadelphia, it has had a very hard life.

Non-routine maintenance:
- Wheel bearings
- Sprocket carrier bearing
- Shifter replaced (wore out)
- Oil cooler and lines replaced (started leaking)
- Fuel filter bypassed
- Starter rebuilt
- Cush drive rubber (multiple)
- Rear shock

The engine hasn't been apart since a valve clearance adjustment 120k ago. Probably worth re-checking.

These bikes are tough. Keep an eye on the oil level on long trips. Clean the electrical connections and switchgear with deoxit every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Wera688, on this forum, has gone 433,000+ miles on DL1000. I think there's a thread here somewhere that he details his maintenance.

Here's a pic of it from the 2016 Eastern V-Strom Rally.

YMMV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts