StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I was supposed to leave on a 4k kms tour on monday. today I tried to change my oil and noticed that my oil drain plug has a rounded nut.
If I'll wait for a new drain plug it will set me off a few days, I have about 6k kms with this oil, can I push it to 10k or it's safer to just wait a couple of days and go on this tour with a new change of oil.
Thanks!!

2006 650dl

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
Just use a vise-grip on it and do the oil change. Replace it when you get back.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I change my oil at 5,000 mile (8,000km) intervals. Not because the oil is worn out but because I have mutiple bikes and it a lot easier to remember nice round numbers across mutiple bikes 5, 10, 15, 20 etc. If I only had one bike I'd have no problem with 6,000 miles/10,000km intervals.

·
Registered
705 Posts
My BMW, every 6k but it had separate engine and gearbox. However, in the case of my Wee, I would follow the manufacturers recommendation. Which, according to Suzuki, is every 3500 miles. So, before a long road trip, I would definitely put in fresh oil and a filter, Then again, I am entirely anal😉.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I’d personally change the oil. As nvr2old mentioned, just use vies grips if the plug head is rounded. You only need 16.5 ft lbs of torque on your drain plug. That’s not very much torque, you could easily apply that much torque with a set pliers.

There are universal rubber drain plugs if the threads happen to be stripped from over torquing. One of these could be used if for whatever reason you can’t refit the stripped drain plug.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I would make my ride without any worry at all. Then fix it when I return.

I have a habit of not touching my bike for at least a week prior to any trip I want to take.

If it makes you feel any better, put a new filter on it and top off the oil. Then get your maps out.....

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
If you are running a quality synthetic oil I would leave it in there. Here is an example of why you should test the oil you run to see how it holds up for extended intervals. If this were my bike I would know my chosen oil would be fine for that mileage. I change mine at 6,500 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
614 Posts
I did 12,000 kms last year between changes because I was on a long ride. I wouldn't stress over it, just check the level is good. Change it when you get back and have a new plug.

·
Administrator
13,555 Posts
Hi guys,
I was supposed to leave on a 4k kms tour on monday. today I tried to change my oil and noticed that my oil drain plug has a rounded nut.
If I'll wait for a new drain plug it will set me off a few days, I have about 6k kms with this oil, can I push it to 10k or it's safer to just wait a couple of days and go on this tour with a new change of oil.
Thanks!!

2006 650dl
If you are in Europe and are using synthetic oil the oil changes are fine at 12,000 km. You are probably also okay if you are using a non-synthetic oil.

..Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are in Europe and are using synthetic oil the oil changes are fine at 12,000 km. You are probably also okay if you are using a non-synthetic oil.

..Tom
I use MOTUL 5100 4T 10w40 TECHNOSYNTHESE.

Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts