StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if mine have ever been changed. I've only had the bike for just under a year and put about 10K on it. had almost new chain and sprockets and full maintenance records right before I got, but I can't find if wheel bearings were serviced / checked. I am putting new rubber on this Saturday and am going to inspect them and grease them while wheels are off, but am curious how many miles to expect... Have around 38K total currently.

Almost wish I had already ordered a set to have on hand just in case they look worn...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
There are too many variables to predict bearing life. You can't tell anything by looking at them. In fact, you can't even see them much less grease them. The seals are in the way. They can be checked any time though. Prop the wheel off the ground and put a finger of one hand on the end of the axle. Spin the wheel with the other hand. If you feel a rumble with the finger on the axle, replace the bearings. If it is smooth, the bearings are okay.

I replaced mine at 50,000 miles even though they didn't need it as part of a "get ready for the next 50,000 miles" endeavor.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Given there are so many variables affecting wheel bearing life, I wouldn't commit to a general, one-size-fits-all mileage estimate.

I'd just say without any good history on the bike or knowledge of the 28K someone else put it on it, I'd have replaced them as soon as I got the bike.

·
38,104 Posts
I would do the rumble test when buying a used bike, not just replace the bearings. A bearing will rumble way before it will cause a real problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been hearing a strange noise at random times and my first impulse was a bearing crying for help (since friend was having trouble with bearings on his cruiser, it guided my thinking that way) but now I am convinced it sounds more like a whistle or chirp from a bad or half closed vent in my helmet... :mrgreen: It's never a repetitive noise. just a single chirp every so often and only on certain days. I've tried moving my head around to see if it is a whistle from a certain part of my DS helmet and can't find a consistent cause. Probably going to replace brakes while doing tires this weekend since I am getting ready for a long trip next month. On my other bikes, I slide a little grease down the axle when changing tires... Guess I'll test these like you guys say when I get it in the air and see if they roll smoothly.

Thanks!

·
38,104 Posts
A chirp or whistle is most often coming from the speedo sensor on the left side of the front wheel axle. Separating the center from the housing and greasing the interior will stop that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A chirp or whistle is most often coming from the speedo sensor on the left side of the front wheel axle. Separating the center from the housing and greasing the interior will stop that.
Hmmm... never thought of that! Thanks for all you do, Greywolf! :thumbup:

Will make a not to check that when i have the front wheel off...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Wheel bearings

A few years ago I sold my much loved St1100 Honda with way over 100,000kms on it. Last year met up with new owner and bike has now almost 160,000 kms (100,000mls) still with original bearings in good nik he told me.
I expect no less from Suzuki and huge mileage is achievable. But!!...keep high pressure cleaners away from any bearing or you will chop the life out of them.

S.5

·
Registered
168 Posts
As Gw said about variables. Since the OEM bearings are not doubled sealed, they have been known to get grit ans water in them. Aftermarker bearings are way better because they are sealed on BOTH sides. Also, when you do the wheel bearing, go ahead and R&R hub bearing. Wheel bearings:(2) 6204-2RS
Hub Bearing: (1)16/32-2RS....The 2RS is the important part!
Less than $30 for all 3. probably close to $80 for all 3 ,NOT DOUBLE SEALED, oem bearings from the dealer. Applied Industrial Technology has great prices and shipping times.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I replaced all of mine at 53K miles, including the sprocket carrier bearing. Even though the OEM's are only sealed on one side, they still had grease and looked like they could go another 50K.

·
Registered
558 Posts

Wow, so that's what that is! I had that a lot last winter, I thought it had something to do with the air temp and position of the 90 degree turn valve stem on my front tire. Thanks, Dr. GW! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Mine are 68,000 miles old and smooth as silk. BUT, I never use a pressure washer (number one bearing killer) and always clean up the outer dust seals when removing wheels for tires. Not a dirt rider either although dirt is not as bad as water. I do ride in rain...if I must.

·
38,104 Posts
The 2RS bearings with 2 rubber seals are nice because they keep the right amount of grease between the seals. The OEM bearings with seals only on the outside are not going the get more crud in them unless the insides of the hubs are dirty and that would be the fault of the installer.

·
Registered
899 Posts
A few years ago I sold my much loved St1100 Honda with way over 100,000kms on it. Last year met up with new owner and bike has now almost 160,000 kms (100,000mls) still with original bearings in good nik he told me.
I have an ST1300 and had read that that the rear bearings on the ST13 can go at about 40k miles. Sure enough, when I pulled the wheels to change the tires a couple of weeks ago, I stuck my fingers in the holes and turned them by hand, and the rear ones felt notchy. I hadn't notice anything when I spun the wheels on the bike.

Took the wheel in and had them change the bearings for me. The shop told me "good call" the two main bearings were completely shot.

So, I generally check them by hand when I have the wheels off for new tires.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
the rear bearings on the ST13 can go at about 40k miles
Very odd. The bearings must be undersized or poorly sealed or some other problem that the bike designer should have avoided.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Very odd. The bearings must be undersized or poorly sealed or some other problem that the bike designer should have avoided.
There are actually four bearings in the rear wheel hub, of three different types. The ST1300 carries a lot of weight - 700+ lbs wet. The stock bearings are sealed ball bearings. I think some folks change them out to roller bearings.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Bearings

I've never changed the bearings in either my 09 or 12 'Strom - 60 000 and 45 000 km's respectively. However, I recently changed them all in my 1980 GS850G which has 230 000 kms's. If Suzuki made better products we wouldn't have to service them so often!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
FYI, replacing the bearing dust seals is cheap and trivial to do with basic tools when the wheel is off. That can help keep crud out of the bearings and extend their lives.

You'll know it's time to do that when the axle spacers don't stay in place on their own during wheel reinstallation.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Replacing mine this week with double sealed bearings on my Vee 150,000km original bearings. I bought the bike from the original owner and he said he's never done them. Tiny bit of play in the wheel bearings and you can notice a tad in the sprocket carrier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts