StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurker on and off for a couple years, I'm now looking to buy a DL650. I'm just wondering how many miles are too many when buying used, say a 2006. I see one with 25k.

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Mileage is not very important. The engines are excellent. I have close to 70,000 miles on mine and Black Lab has over 90,000 miles. Others have more but I forget who. What is more important is a maintenance history. Regular oil and filter changes along with a valve clearance check are the main things to look for.

After that, a general inspection of the condition of the bike is all you need. Things like tire, chain and sprocket condition will tell tell you if they need to be replaced soon. Also check for loose steering head bearings and notchy wheel bearings. Get the wheel off the ground and spin it while feeling for a rumble in the axle. I replaced all my bearings at 50,000 miles but as a pre-emptive measure. They were fine.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
25K would almost be the minimum to expect on a 2006. History is important as was said. It should have had 2 valve checks, 8-10 oil changes, maybe an air filter change, 1-2 brake fluid changes, a couple clutch & throttle linkage adjustments, perhaps a new sprocket chain set has been done, or is about due. Throttle body sink and TPS could have been checked if not adjusted. Take this list with you and check off what the owner reveals, then if anything is missing ask. You can tell a lot about the bike's condition by the owner's condition, if you get my drift. You should get an easy 50k more on it without any more than regular maintenance.:yesnod: expect $3000-4000 and not to pay too much for additional farkles if they are also 5 yrs old.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Engine and transmission condition, as well as straight forks and frame, are the big items.

--Compression test: warm engine; overhaul if one cylinder below 156 psi, more than 28 psi difference between cylinders, if both cylinders below 184 psi.

--Oil pressure test: warm engine, 140°F oil temperature, pressure gauge on main oil gallery; 3000 rpm; we want between 14 & 57 psi.

Transmission: Ride it. How does it shift.

Forks & Frame: Have someone else ride it. Does it track straight? Ride it. How does it feel.

Here's a posting about a good running high mileage Strom:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-specific/62650-dl1000-k3-200-000-mile-writeup.html

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
opinion: These bikes are all too new to know how high-mileage engines will hold up -- I don't know of too many post-100k-mile reports yet. I wouldn't bat an eye at 25k, though, provided the price is appropriate and it's been maintained properly.

experience: My '08 is at about 35k, has never asked anything of me other than by-the-book maintenance, and runs like a scalded ape. :hurray:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Work still have me tied up for another week and a half where I can't do anything! :headbang:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello again. Below is the text from the Ad. I'm sending the owner an email to check on maintenance records and other background info.

******************* Start Ad ***********************
2006 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (non-ABS) - 25,187 miles:
This motorcycle makes a great commuter or tourer.

Includes:
-Registration through June 2012
-Heated handgrips
-Pat Walsh skidplate/crashbars
-Power Bronze windscreen
-Stock windscreen
-12V power outlet
-SW Motech quick connect side luggage racks
-Pelican 1550 side cases
-Will include Givi 46L topcase (not pictured)
-Handguards
-Flush-mount front turn signals
-Rikor Intiminators (fork cartridge)
-Shinko 705 tires (80% tread front, 50% tread rear)
-Valve clearances checked at approximately 13,000 miles

$4200

******************* End Ad ***********************

What do you think? Any concerns with the Rikor Intiminators for a newby?

Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Owner's reply

I do have the clear California title. I've mainly used the bike for commuting to work. I've only taken it on a few weekend rides and a 2-day trip to Big Bear. I've had it for roughly a year, and I am selling because I have a new Yamaha and can't keep both bikes.

I bought the bike from the second owner last summer. He did the maintenance himself, including the valve clearance check. He was quite capable of doing the work as he was a general contractor. He used Shell Rotella T synthetic oil. He also installed remove vacuum tubes to make throttle body synchronization easier.

I've done the maintenance since owning the bike including oil changes, chain adjustments, air filter replacement, and tire changes. I'm quite experienced as well since I've been doing all of my own maintenance for over 10 years. Upcoming maintenance due will include oil change in 1500 miles or so, spark plugs/valve clearance check/throttle body synchronization at 27,000 miles. Tires/chain/brake pads as needed.

There is nothing mechanically wrong with the bike, I really am just selling it because I got a 2012 Yamaha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts