StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming all the maintenance is up to date etc and there's records of it, how many miles would you not be too worried about? There's an 07 650 that I kinda want to go look at on Craigslist but it has 112k miles. Would that be too many miles to even consider?

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
These bikes and engines are hard to kill, as long as a good deal is given......go for it!!!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
At 112K miles I'd stay away.

Yes, there are probably more miles to be had, but way too many bikes / opportunities with far, far fewer miles.

For me, 112K is too many miles. Especially for a Wee.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If the price is right and it appears and feels like it's not worn sloppy, you could give it a go. It is a lot of miles. With our de-tuned engines, the running gear lasts a long time. I'd be more concerned with things like wheel bearings and head bearings, swing arm bushings and like that. If it's tight, why not go for it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked with the guy and he's firm on $2k for it. Not sure since I see a few 650's for around $4k with under 20k miles and some farkles...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I talked with the guy and he's firm on $2k for it. Not sure since I see a few 650's for around $4k with under 20k miles and some farkles...
Yep. My point exactly. At 112K there's got to be wear everywhere - as someone else mentioned - not just in the engine.

$2K is way too much for those miles. If it was a free or nearly free (say $500) opportunity (the guy just wanted rid of it) and you had the time and ability to completely go through the bike (maybe not the engine though), replacing worn parts as you go, maybe that's OK. That would be sort-of a personal-challenge sort of thing. But most guys, myself included, don't want to do all that.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
All the bearings & bushings in the swing arm assembly are a lot of work. If the shock is original, it's overdue. Ditto for fork bushings. Probably ditto for the steering stem bearings. Wheel & sprocket carrier bearings. Clutch. The engine and probably the transmission will likely be OK. Everything else can be a project. $2k if you're handy with wrenches might be OK. Not if you have to have a shop do the work.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
Yep. My point exactly. At 112K there's got to be wear everywhere - as someone else mentioned - not just in the engine.
that all depends on how the previous owner(s) kept up replacing worn parts

for instance, my SV650, in 135k, I replaced the levers & perches a few times just cause they were sloppy, same with shift linkage, steerng stem bearing , also replaced calipers rather than rebuilding them, @ 135k, with the exception of rear shock, everything is as tight as a bike with less than 20k

things to look for

1. levers.. is there slop up and down
2. shift linkage, how much slop, does it bind?

all parts are replaceable, just be aware of what needs to be replaced

$2k sounds steep, but not if those things have been replaced (I would look for professional service record, on my SV, my dealer could supply me with nearly 100 pages of service records and milage that parts were replaced)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Forget about it. Let him have it with his $2000 firm. Spend another $2000 and get yourself newer ABS model with low mileage. Or perhaps for about $3000 you can get no ABS one with way lower mileage.

·
Registered
489 Posts
PASS

That price is ridiculous, search craigslist and you can find an older model with a hundred thousand miles less for $2,500.00 to Three Grand. Do not let this putz roll you...

I found a 2012 DL1000 with less than 2,500 miles for around $6,500.00 . Now I just have to figure out if I can sell my Emu and Donkey to get the money...

so many decisions...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts