StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one had an amazing amount of kilometers per tank,some one mentioned getting over 400 before the gas light starts too flash,meaning 4.5 liters left in tank,i took it realy easy the other day and started flashing at 360 k,i also filled too the top,rode 100 klm and filled again,it took 5 liters,18 -20 k too the liter is the best i can get,i divided the amount of fuel ive used in the first 2000 k on the bike and averages just under 20klm per liter meaning 440 klm would be max out of a tank

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's not too bad! Yours will get better with some more clicks.

My thirsty 1000 goes about 230kms in the city before bar and fuel icon are flashing! It has 12,600 kms now.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
poco

i lived in poco for a few years,about twenty years ago,went back for a visit,the lake at the bottom of the hill too westwood race track is all spiffy now,i remember it full of old car tires and stuff[lafarge i think its called]and the supermarket in the korean mall is like going too the aquarium in stanly park,so many fish in tanks swimming around,but some up side down.i would hope your v would get more range out of a tank once away from stop lights

·
Registered
38 Posts
On 650 and just after 330km from brand new, I got 19.9km per l. I did 80% of city and a 20% of highway 90% of the time less than 5500rpm.
I guess this could only get better when the engine break-in is done.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i lived in poco for a few years,about twenty years ago,went back for a visit,the lake at the bottom of the hill too westwood race track is all spiffy now,i remember it full of old car tires and stuff[lafarge i think its called]and the supermarket in the korean mall is like going too the aquarium in stanly park,so many fish in tanks swimming around,but some up side down.i would hope your v would get more range out of a tank once away from stop lights

Yes, I missed the old Westwood Race track - used to love to go up there and watch the bikes race. I'll never forget the fist time I saw a real GP 250 and see it blow away all the 1000cc superbikes!
We saw the red flags come out a few times for bears or deer on the track.

Sorry for straying of topic, but...

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
I have a spreadsheet at work that shows mileage since the first tank and the end of July 06, and I just turned over 12,000 km.

I think the mileage you are getting is in the same ballpark as I am getting which is around 5 liters/100 km. You can see a steady drop as the temperature gets colder and an increase as it has warmed up since I started riding this year. I have had some tanks where I fill up t or around 400 km, but in most cases the indicator is flashing at that point.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
The most I have gone on a tank prior to filling was 447km, the last 40 or so I slowed right down to about 50kph as I wasnt sure where the next gas station was.
I cant recall how much fuel it then took to fill it.
Generally, the first warning starts flashing around 315km, but on tours and maintaining constant speeds of around 115kph, it has gone much higher before the first warning.
On my trip to NS last fall (9,200km), my overall average was 57mpg. None too shabby me thinks.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
I suspect we might get some US readers involved in this thread.

A little bit of general info:

US gallon is smaller than a Canadian (Imperial) gallon by 20%

Imperial MPG =282 divided by Liters/100. and vice versa.

l/100km mpg USmpg

4.0 70.5 56.4
4.5 62.7 50.1
5.0 56.4 45.1
5.5 51.3 41.0
6.0 47.0 37.6
6.5 43.4 34.7
7.0 40.3 32.2
7.5 37.6 30.1

If I recall correctly, I have averaged around 5 l/100km, or about 56 mpg, which would be approx 45 mpg to the US gallon.

If we got 400 km out of a tank of fuel, and put in 20 liters, then we would be getting 5 liters/100 km, or about 56 mpg Canadian.

..Tom

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well... I must be getting great mileage then 'cause I routinely go 400 plus Km before filling. The "pump" icon starts to flash about 450Km depending on how I twist. While I don't often scream the motor I wouldn't consider myself to ride softly either. I'm at just over 25000 Km on the '05 650 Strom.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I normally get about 300km (DL1000) before the last LCD bock starts blinking. On Saturday I went for a ride through the Kawarthas and I used the 6th gear which I normally never use. I did manage to get 330km on that tank but I was taking it easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy fellow Strommers!

Been lurking on this forum for a while and was ‘bout time to chime in!
In almost 2 years of Wee “storming”, after just passing 15K km mark, very happy to report getting anywhere between 450 – 475 km per tank!
Usually filling up around 440 km, pumping in ~21L up to the bottom of filler neck.
Wee is ridden as daily commuter, 95% (inter)city riding + 5% hwy, rain or shine, mechanically in mint shape (tire pressure!) and riding style rather conservative (ie. short shifting and revs kept approx. at max torque range in all gears). OK, I admit it, on occasion, I do weeee it to the red line… Gotta love kick-in-the-a#% acceleration past 7K!!:mrgreen:

Cheers!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Riding a 650 I usually end up filling up around 380 - 400 KM, and end up pumping around 18.5 - 20 Litres.

That usually has me riding with an average speed on secondary highways of 120 or so, and 130 + on the 417.

This weekend however, I was down to Cambridge to visit my parents and while riding with them, maintained an average speed of 100 - 110 on secondary highways. At this speed, I was getting much better milage. Of the 2 tanks at this style of riding I pumped 18.7L after 427KM and 20.7L after 470KM.

I never quite realized just how much the milage difference would be with such a seemingly small change in riding style. These speeds are the indicated speeds on the speedometer, so discount them by 8% for actual speeds.

With these results, I am considering just riding slower all the time if I can get an extra 100KM out of every tank.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I've tracked my mileage over 32 fillups... I once got 448 km on one tank... that works out to about 61 miles/Imp.gal.

It took almost exactly 20 litres to fill so there were a couple more in the tank.
I might have gotten 490 km before going dry but that's not necessarily a good idea for the fuel pump (IIRC it was GrayWolf that mentioned it's cooled by the surrounding fuel).

- Martin

·
Registered
9 Posts
changing front cog

After changing my front cog from 15 to 16 I can/have gotten 400mpg(U.S.), and I am not missing any of the low end torque I thought I would miss. There is also talk that I will double the life of the chain. Hey V Tom how many km's is that? The other advantage is that I don't have to change gears as fast or as much. I didn't need to add any links to the chain and the chain doesn't seem to hit the plastic guide on the swing arm as much(don't like chain slapping). Some here in the U.S. have gone to 17 tooth front but they ride on flat ground.
With gas prices so high, the front cog would pay for itself in 3 months.
I was up in Canada (visiting grandkids) last week from Toranto-Montreal-Quebec...I was in a small "rental cage" and gas was still expensive, now I see why there were soo many bikes! Love Canada and their beer!!

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
400 mpg would be about 500 mpg in Canada.

I suspect you meant 40 mpg, which would translate into about 50 mpg.

I changed my gearing a month ago. I haven't really seen any change in recorded fuel mileage but I have noticed it is roughly the same as last year when the temperature was similar. I am also driving it much harder than last year so I believe it is a net gain. I think I am going a bit insane and am going to make a concious effort on this tank of gas to drive easy. Running down back roads at 160km/hour (100 miles per hour) and up is real bad for mileage.

I like the feel of the taller gearing and the more relaxed feel on the highway; and I don't find myself reaching for 7th gear nearly as often. I just seems to me to be better.

..Tom

After changing my front cog from 15 to 16 I can/have gotten 400mpg(U.S.), and I am not missing any of the low end torque I thought I would miss. There is also talk that I will double the life of the chain. Hey V Tom how many km's is that? The other advantage is that I don't have to change gears as fast or as much. I didn't need to add any links to the chain and the chain doesn't seem to hit the plastic guide on the swing arm as much(don't like chain slapping). Some here in the U.S. have gone to 17 tooth front but they ride on flat ground.
With gas prices so high, the front cog would pay for itself in 3 months.
I was up in Canada (visiting grandkids) last week from Toranto-Montreal-Quebec...I was in a small "rental cage" and gas was still expensive, now I see why there were soo many bikes! Love Canada and their beer!!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
mileage

I'm pretty close to what V-Tom is getting - averaging around 420km on a tank, driving mostly 80% country, 20% city and a fairly relaxed pace. At current $1.10 a litre here, it's nice to fill up and get change from a $20.

Safe riding,
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
has any one had an amazing amount of kilometers per tank,some one mentioned getting over 400 before the gas light starts too flash,meaning 4.5 liters left in tank,i took it realy easy the other day and started flashing at 360 k,i also filled too the top,rode 100 klm and filled again,it took 5 liters,18 -20 k too the liter is the best i can get,i divided the amount of fuel ive used in the first 2000 k on the bike and averages just under 20klm per liter meaning 440 klm would be max out of a tank
I have run two tanks through my new 650. With the first tank the last bar started to flash at 331 km and it took 16.7 litres to fill the tank. With my last tank the bar did not start to flash until I hit 393km and it took 16.4 litres to fill the tank. My mileage has been impressive and has greatly exceeded my expectations. All of my driving during both tanks of gas was rural with speeds between 80-100 kph.

SS

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kilometres per tank

Hey guys,
having my '07 dlk for just under 2 months now I am trying to get a feel for the fuel situation. Especially the guage and how close you get to empty. The most I've been able to get into the tank after running what I thought was on empty was 18 ltr. My mileage seems to be good, especially when on the highway vs. city and I have gotten into the 400km/tank range once or twice.

My question is how does the fuel guage read when there is less than 1-2 litres in the tank?

Thanks for your input

1 - 20 of 22 Posts