StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I really like about my FZ6R is that you can ride it around as slow as 7 mph without having to feather the clutch and with no lurching, surging, stalling or bucking (provided you are in 1st). This is very helpful when you are slowed by freeway traffic or having to negotiate a parking lot, especially with a passenger.

So, how slow can you SMOOTHLY drive your '12 Strom in 1st?

For you mechanics out there, is there a name for this quality and do you know why some bikes are better at it than others? Is it a product of the size of the throttle bodies or engine size?

I used to own an '06 Strom and wasn't particularly impressed by it's slow speed manners. Seemed to get choppier/rougher with time. My 12GS is even worse. Hoping they have improved the low speed cruising abilities of the '12.

Let me know your experience. Tanks Buttwheat!

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is one of the many big improvements I've noticed in my switch to the 2012 DL650A from a Kawi 650R. It is so much more comfortable and well-mannered in my downtown parking garage and in rush-hour traffic.

I don't know what they call the quality, but my 2012 Strom is very smooth in 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would also like to know how its ability to crawl along at low speed and its low speed torque compare to the older models.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 2012 wee is one of the smoothest bikes I have ridden at low RPM. If you are gentle on the throttle this thing will walk around at 7 mph with very good manners.

·
Registered
635 Posts
"Crawling" would be the term 4x'ers use when describing a trucks ability to idle along in gear with the clutch fully engaged, usually the slower the MPH the better.

I haven't really investigated it on the Wee, but it seems pretty smooth at slow speeds, although I find the throttle engagement to be tough to apply smoothly after engine braking. I've since tightened up my throttle cable and hope that I can get smoother at it, especially coming out of the corners..

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
The 2012 wee is one of the smoothest bikes I have ridden at low RPM. If you are gentle on the throttle this thing will walk around at 7 mph with very good manners.
Ah, the joy of a new chain.

·
Registered
201 Posts
okay... have to ask... and please don't shoot me for asking... but what's the point of this? (and that would be buck and not butt ;) please don't ask me to explain that distinction!)

One person's bike starts to buck at 1200 and not 1k? an others starts at 900 and not 800?

Please Explain To Me what I'm missing? Some have to pull the clutch in a little sooner than others? It's a wet clutch, they are made to be able to withstand this type of usage...

Is there a point here?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well, low speed "crawling" over rough and uneven terrain can be a lot more fatiguing if you're constantly having to feather clutch in and out and in and out....over and over again.

If you can chug along at idle and give a little juice smoothly now and then when needed to keep up momentum with out clutching, it's a lot less work on the left hand.

You might also experience these conditions crawling along in stop and go traffic, clutch in, clutch out, over and over again, it get's old real quick!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, low speed "crawling" over rough and uneven terrain can be a lot more fatiguing if you're constantly having to feather clutch in and out and in and out....over and over again.

If you can chug along at idle and give a little juice smoothly now and then when needed to keep up momentum with out clutching, it's a lot less work on the left hand.
So, I guess that "FZ6R" is "crawling" over rough rough and uneven terrain with a lot less fatigue?

yeah, that lurch at 900 is so much more dramatic than at 1k... seriously? really?

If it's really that important, buy a diff rear sprocket...

·
Registered
73 Posts
So, I guess that "FZ6R" is "crawling" over rough rough and uneven terrain with a lot less fatigue?

yeah, that lurch at 900 is so much more dramatic than at 1k... seriously? really?

If it's really that important, buy a diff rear sprocket...
If you find this topic sooooo meaningless for you....why did you respond?
Surely you have better things to do :confused:
on topic:
A new chain helps but the bike is super smooth at low rpm's. I dig how easily it goes really slow for the same reason as the OP. Less clutch work. My DR650 surges and lurches like crazy in comparison.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies or "Can you do the Crawl"

You might also experience these conditions crawling along in stop and go traffic, clutch in, clutch out, over and over again, it get's old real quick!
Well put Steve- Being able to crawl along with little control input is definitely a nice trait when the going gets slow or treacherous. Everything is a compromise and there are other endearing traits that are shared by some motors and not others. Variety is good.

Just wondering how this new Strom compares to the older versions and other bikes that can do slow speed crawling well.

Many characteristics of an engine can be compensated for, like feathering the clutch on a slowing engine to keep it alive or putting some sheepskin on a butt-numbing plank. But, I'd think that low-speed engine stability would help make the Strom 650 or any other motorcycle more comfortable and capable in those settings, like a parking lot, off-road jostling or slowed in traffic on the slab, where smooth engine behavior at a crawl is beneficial.

Maybe its the chain, the sprocket size or even the EPA stepping in and saying you are breathing to hard.

My old '06 Strom kind of had a surge at steady speed and didn't like going real slow. To some extent, a good rider can handle this, but a little more smooth never hurt.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm an MSF Rider Coach. I see new riders, sometimes as many as 20 or so, every week.

The LAST thing in the world we would tell them to do is "ride along as slow as you can and see when that bike starts to LUG the engine or STALLS and falls over"...

:confused:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Just wondering how this new Strom compares to the older versions and other bikes that can do slow speed crawling well.
Better than my 06 by quite a margin, and the 06 was better than the thumpers I'd owned in the past. Really helps on steep/nasty uphills.

Pete

·
Registered
308 Posts
One of the things I really like about my FZ6R is that you can ride it around as slow as 7 mph without having to feather the clutch and with no lurching, surging, stalling or bucking (provided you are in 1st).
I can do 7mph (11kph) on my G-strom with it being on the limit of happiness. 10kph and the engine is close to idle speed in first gear. So yes, it is happy down to about idle. It is noticeably smoother and happier at low rpm compared to the old wee-strom.

7mph (11kph) is about 1500rpm. I think idle speed is 1300 +/- 100rpm (or it was on the wee-strom). 10kph is about 1330 rpm.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm an MSF Rider Coach. I see new riders, sometimes as many as 20 or so, every week.

The LAST thing in the world we would tell them to do is "ride along as slow as you can and see when that bike starts to LUG the engine or STALLS and falls over"...
And how exactly would you tell a beginner to handle rough, technical terrain on a loaded 475 lb street bike? Just gun the throttle & hope for the best?

I doubt you'd suggest to your students that they ride the their bikes at 100mph +, yet would you find it just as pointless if someone asked how the 2012's handle at such speeds?

V-Stroms are often sold/purchased for their versatility. Most of us have resorted to "trials style" riding at one time or another. Feathering the clutch in the rough stuff as a way to keep your speed low is quite difficult compared to simply crawling along. How a bike handles at low speed is very relevant information for some of us.

I am glad to here that the 2012 is even better for trials style speeds, it sounds like w/a 14 tooth front that she'll be excellent when running loaded through technical terrain.

·
Registered
201 Posts
And how exactly would you tell a beginner to handle rough, technical terrain on a loaded 475 lb street bike? Just gun the throttle & hope for the best?

I doubt you'd suggest to your students that they ride the their bikes at 100mph +, yet would you find it just as pointless if someone asked how the 2012's handle at such speeds?

V-Stroms are often sold/purchased for their versatility. Most of us have resorted to "trials style" riding at one time or another. Feathering the clutch in the rough stuff as a way to keep your speed low is quite difficult compared to simply crawling along. How a bike handles at low speed is very relevant information for some of us.

I am glad to here that the 2012 is even better for trials style speeds, it sounds like w/a 14 tooth front that she'll be excellent when running loaded through technical terrain.

It's called the 'friction zone'... you can find it between the clutch being all the way in and all the way out...

·
Registered
201 Posts
thats the whole point.....not having to constantly use the clutch.:weapons_90:
So... just how much of your time do you spend riding around at 8mph without using the friction zone as opposed to 7mph where you'd have to use the friction zone? Must be an awful lot I'm guessing... :headbang:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts