StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to lower my stock 05 Wee as much as is safe and doable(the two are not always the same, yes?) I'm 5'9" and the more firmly my feet are planted on the ground, the better I feel. My local dealership has Vortex Lowering Links that claim either 2" or 4" lowering. So far, I have only read of people lowering the bike up to 3/4" or so. Can you actually go 2"-4"?

If so, what other things must be adjusted to compensate and keep the bike safe and shiny side up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
i am 5,9 and can plant both feet flat on the ground,im used too tip towing it on my honda xrl,i would like too raise my bike a bit not lower it,just curious why do you need to make it low

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I think 2" or more would be a huge problem as far as suspension travel and steering angles were concerned.
I'm 5'9" as well and have no problems at all riding a Wee but I guess it's just a confidence thing. If you do want to lower the bike I suggest the 3/4" that most people use would be the safest, then get a lower seat if you need more. If that combination is not enough then I think you should seriously consider whether the Wee is the correct bike for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I suppose to some degree it's a confidence thing. I dropped the bike in a situation that might've been avoided with a little lower gravity...then again, I could be fooling myself and it was just one of those things.

Pardon my newbie-ness, but when people say lowering by 3/4", do they mean raising the front forks in addition to installing lowering links in the rear?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Unpleasant things happen when the tire crashes into the fender. Kouba links lower the back 1 1/8" and they allow contact on really big bumps.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Pardon my newbie-ness, but when people say lowering by 3/4", do they mean raising the front forks in addition to installing lowering links in the rear?
Yes if you lower the back you also need to lower the front to keep the geometry correct.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I lowered the front 3/4" and the rear by 1". I like it lowered for my easy commute, but I am thinking of going back to stock height for a trip in May. Besides my time being wasted is there anything wrong with me spending the time to install the original links?

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Have Koubalinks on the Wee and the forks raised up about 22 mm. Feels more comfortable height wise and the center of gravity is a little lower too. Happy I made the changes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm 5'8" and can't stand flat footed on it but don't think i'll need to lower it. I have yet to pack it down with a hundred pounds of camping gear and other crap well see, but compared to my last bike a honda vtx 1800 this thing feels like a moped. I wouldn't think you would need more then 3/4 to an 1 inch of lowering.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Height has SFA to do with touching the ground. The measurement you need to know is the inseam. I'm only 5'7" but I have a 32" inseam :p Try Koubalinks as others have mentioned. I lowered my 05 Wee Strom AFTER I accumulated 18,000 miles :cool:

i am 5,9 and can plant both feet flat on the ground,im used too tip towing it on my honda xrl,i would like too raise my bike a bit not lower it,just curious why do you need to make it low

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
All great feedback, thanks. Any ideas why Vortex offer links that lower 2"-4" inches if it truly compromises the bike? I was shown them by the parts manager at my local Suzuki dealership.

Yes it's the inseam that tells the tale...mine is 30".

·
Registered
86 Posts
Slightly off topic

I lowered my better half’s 650 and here is what I found. I tried Kabouta links that were to lower the bike over an inch and had marginal success. In addition I have removed about ½” of padding from the seat.

The solution was replacing the stock mono shock with one from Wilbers. They built me a shock that is 2” lower than stock. I wound up lowering the front about 1 ¼ inches to get the front end where it felt right. Please note I put the original links back on with the Wilbers.

I don’t understand the difference between the lowering links and the shorter shock but I can say the shorter shock clearly lowered the bike. In my limited understanding; the lowering links vs. changing the shock should be messing with the same lift to the rear of the bike. I was awake in geometry class but the V-Strom rear shock – lowering link system is clearly smarter than I am….

The last option as I see it is to modify the seat pan, there is room to get yer butt down farther but it will require some creative (none bolt on) activities. This one also gets into that whole leg length – leg spaced apart – thickness of your thighs calculation that keeps the Levi's Wrangler debate going strong….

Issues – Clearly the lean angle has been affected but she does not “use” that particular range of lean angle……currently. :)

The side stand has the bike in a lean but not quite as far over as I would like. It is stable but I will get the stick chopped off about ½ inch.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Replacing the shock allows the ride height, length of travel, and spring rate to change. If the job is done right, the tire won't hit the fender at full compression and the spring rate will allow the best ride for the reduced travel and the bike's normal load. The ride will be stiffer as a result of the reduced travel though. TANSTAAFL. The easiest way to fix the side stand is to grind some material off the stop. That will allow the stand to swing farther and it will come up more. No welding is required and the bike can be returned to stock for less than $50 to replace the stand pivot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Grinding

Greywolf - you da bomb! Never thought about the stop - Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts